ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

First heavy frost

Last night was the first heavy frost for this fall, so I went out this morning and managed to get a few shots before the sun melted everything down.

Any thoughts/suggestions on them? Feel free to criticize - I'm still learning...

#1. Close-up of a leaf's edge.
    #2. Group of tiny frost-covered plants on the ground.
    #3. A dead leaf, looking up the stem.
    --------------------------------------------
    These photos are NOT royalty-free and are copyrighted property of A.M.D.A.. All rights reserved. Please do NOT download, copy, use or modify in any way and in any form without the owner's prior written permission.

Re: First heavy frost

#2 is my favorite, but I find the blurred object in the foreground very distracting. Cool shots, though!

Love the first one great job of capturing the ice crystals. Those early morning frost offer some great opportunities for a photographer. I'm generally so hurried in the morning that I don't take advantage.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thanks for taking the time to look/comment, lemon and Old Timer.

I see the blurred leaf in the foreground of #2 is indeed a bit distracting, but the other shots I got of the tiny plants were from almost straight above, which wasn't exactly the most flattering viewpoint.

drg

The colors of the second (#2) work the best for me.

The first photo has a good shape and the out-of-focus background accents the image.

All three suffer from lack of context and depth of field. It might take a viewer longer than they were willing to look to determine just what they were seeing without a description. These could be many type of crystals, not just ice from the images presented.

I'd suggest if you are again motivated to shoot early morning frost, a very worthy subject, to include and entire leaf or more of a plant with the frost crystals. This would aid in establishing visually the shots context and make it stronger.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thanks for your reply, drg.

And I appreciate the criticism - its the only way to learn.:thumbsup:

Thread Information