ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

First Day with sigma 105 macro - macroing is hard... advice needed!

I have been trying to take stuff with the Sigma all morning. After getting over the surprise of the focus barrel extending like 3 inches, I went out to grab some shots.

How exactly do you guys do it?

At 1:1, I can't get anything in focus, even the slightest movement and it's out. Is a little tripod totally essential for 1:1 work? my shutter speeds always drop to like 60 or 40 this close, even in direct sunlight. And AF is out, much easier and faster to just manual. I am afraid all the travel time will just eat my battery.

Second, DOF... if I want a greater dof for extreme closeups, I set my aperture as high as I can with my shutter speed still staying reasonable, right?

This is gonna take some serious adjustment to get used to. If anyone has tips with using a lense like this, they would be appreciated. What are the expectations of macroing? What should I be counting on and against? How does field macroing work when out in the field and I see a lizard?

Thanks!

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Dempsey
    At 1:1, I can't get anything in focus, even the slightest movement and it's out. Is a little tripod totally essential for 1:1 work? my shutter speeds always drop to like 60 or 40 this close, even in direct sunlight. And AF is out, much easier and faster to just manual. I am afraid all the travel time will just eat my battery.
    Yes, the DOF at 1:1 is extremely shallow. Use a tripod and, if you can afford it, a microrail attachment.

Second, DOF... if I want a greater dof for extreme closeups, I set my aperture as high as I can with my shutter speed still staying reasonable, right?
    If the amount of light can support the high values of aperture. The use of a tripod helps for slow or non-moving subjects.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Isn't macro great?!

There's so many posibilities with macro. It really changes how you look at certain things too. But, a sturdy tripod and a bright viewfinder is essential to macro photography. Because you're soooo close to your subject the plane of focus is sooooo narrow. If you're looking to bring more things into focus, I would suggest f11 and above. Even at f8, the things you think are in focus are actually not. Have fun and show us your results.

Ivan

Thread Information