ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Finally! The day I've been waiting for...

and I can't do anything with it. I have been waiting for a nice blanket of fresh snow to help add a little more to some of the barns that I have been shooting. Well, today we finally got the snow I have been hoping for, and I can't do anything with it. It has been snowing all day long and is forcast to continue till noon tomorrow, last I heard. I would have loved to have gotten some shots with it still snowing out but I just started a new position in the electronic publishing area of my company yesterday and I don't get done with work until 4:45pm. By the time I leave the office, it's dark out. My old position had me out the door by 1:00pm almost everyday which gave me 3 hours of light even on the shortest day of the year, and 8+ hours on the longest day. It's only my second day of working "late" and I'm so dissapointed that I don't get to go out and play after work like I use to. If this is what it's like in the real world, then I don't want anything to do with it. Haven't any of these people heard about the early bird? I mean come on, lets get the day started so we can get the heck out of Dodge and go have some fun. Ok, so it's not that bad, I will just have to wait for the weekend and see what I can do. I just got a new EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM on Monday and I haven't had a chance to take it out and play with it yet either. The whole idea of having a job is really cutting into my "me" time. Well, at least it's only temporary, unless a full time position open us between now ant then. I will be back to my afternoons off in 3 months, just in time for the weather to warm up and things to start turning green again.

Ok, I'm done. Thanks for letting me ramble.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Liz

Question Other alternatives?

What about early a.m. - before you start work? You should have some light then. Or.....what about lunchtime? If possible, early a.m. might be your best bet. Just a thought.

Liz

Re: Other alternatives?

Early morning would be a great time to shoot, but it's still pretty dark by the time I leave for work. I think I will get up early this weekend and give my barn shots another try. The lunch hour is a great idea that I really never considered but I will in the future now that I have a longer lunch than I use to. Gee, I hope I remember to come back from lunch. Once I start shooting, I could be gone for hours and hours and ...
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Finally! The day I've been waiting for...

I can sympathize with about 8" of new snow on the ground here. I work 8-5 (ever seen the movie "Office Space"? ;) ) so it's dark by the time I get out of here, plus I have to be somewhere tonight... But I don't feel good, maybe not good enough to come to work tomorrow...

Today would be a great day!

Everything's closed! We woke up to between 6 and 8 inches. I was more excited about school cancellations than the kids were. Then I shoveled for an hour and a half. I love shoveling. Later today, I am going to make the girls go out and shovel the back stoop. We've got a large concrete slab/patio thing, and they usually get it done in about 2 hours
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Re: Today would be a great day!

You're right, today would be a great day, but stupid me decided that I have to go to work. It is very very rare that I miss a day of work without a good reason, but today would have been the perfect day to play hooky. Today is only my 3rd day in my new position and my boss/trainer is not coming in today because of the weather. I did manage to find something I know how to do first thing this morning but now I'm just sitting here surfing. I could do this at home, but the pay isn't quite as good.

Enjoy the snowing day with the kinds Adina! I'm waiting to see some pics of them shoveling.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain

Then I shoveled for an hour and a half. I love shoveling.
    Adina? I worry about you.

Danielle
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

WOW, I should have stayed home today. I have managed to do absolutly NOTHING today. Ok, I did manage to do something this morning but it wasn't much...
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thread Information