ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: filters

filters

i got a few filters today and i am very new to the photography world. so i had the guy at ritz help me he told me to buy a polarizer and a circular polarizer. he said the cir. pol. is for auto focus and the regular pol. is for manual. my question is what is the difference and if i had the cir. pol. on and switch to manual focus do i have to switch the filter too. and btw i have the a100

Re: filters

as i understand it, nope all you need is the circular polarizer. the circular polarizer will work for auto and manual, while the reg polarizer will spin with the lense as it auto focuses so you need to spin the filter around to get the best light angel comming through the lense. if that makes sense. some one might be able to explain it better than I. ( i only have a circular and don't have an auto focus camera to use it on)
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Liz

I never heard of using 2 polarizers for the same lens. NOPE! Take one back. I actually don't know which one you need for the a100 - someone else might give you that info.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by sakbarzad
    i got a few filters today and i am very new to the photography world. so i had the guy at ritz help me he told me to buy a polarizer and a circular polarizer. he said the cir. pol. is for auto focus and the regular pol. is for manual. my question is what is the difference and if i had the cir. pol. on and switch to manual focus do i have to switch the filter too. and btw i have the a100

sweet thanx for the info guys. i have the uv filter but i dont know what other filter to get they have a buy 2 get 1 free. any suggestions

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Yeah, take the regular one back. You don't need both, and a circular polarizer is essential. Don't know what he was trying to sell you on there. Exchange it for a UV filter for protecting your front lens element, or a red filter if you're into black and white.
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Neutral density is good for shooting waterfalls and things that require long shutter speeds.

I mentioned a red filter if you're into black and white. Double up the circ. polarizer and the red to make your skies black!

Star filters can be fun, but I use them only rarely.

That's about it for recommendations from me. Enjoy whatever you buy and make sure to post some shots here!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Awww.. the typical Ritz camera scorched earth approach by having you buy something specifically for manua/autofocus. Liz is right...return the polarizer and keep the circular polarizer.

A circular polarzier will work on manual focus and autofocus while the linear polarizer will only work for manual focus. Usually if you only shoot manual then you can save a little money by having a linear polarizer.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

As for filters...I use them all of the time for landscape photography. Especially a Graduated ND filter which helps offset exposure range in a photo, for instance, bright horizon among shadows in a cityscape.
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Thread Information