ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Film pics put on CD?

I was wondering, when you drop off film at walrmart or costco or whatever and have the pics put on a CD, at what resolution are the scanned and saved? . I read in a magazine a while ago that the new (at the time) Canon something something 16mp full frame whiz bang camera came closest to film qualtiy photos so it'd seem to be a waste to have them saved like a 6mp equivilant. Anyway, just wondering..

Thanks.

BM

Re: Film pics put on CD?

Well, where do I start... ;)

Those places probably give you a relatively low resolution scan. Another thing to realize about a scan is that the pixel dimensions don't tell the story about the quality of the scan either. Better scanners in the right hands can get you incredible results from 35mm film - but that's not the case here. Differences would include color correction, sharpness, grain removal, spotting out any dust or scratches and shadow detail. Really high quality scans are expensive, so it's something you'd only want to do with a special image that you want a large print from. Places like West Coast Imaging and Calypso do drum scans like this for top-name pros (and a few people around here!).

Also, scan resolution and digital capture resolution are really two different worlds. You'll need a higher scan resolution to equal a digital capture file based on same subject/same print size. Note that I'm not saying digital capture is better, just different. There was a thread recently (in either Help or Digital Imaging, don't remember) about this - you might want to look it up.

I have a 6mp DSLR, and have been very happy with 16x24 prints from it, after some help in Photoshop. Based on my fairly outdated 2700dpi scanner and a really sharp slide on a film like Provia, I get better prints of that size from the DSLR. It also takes less time for me to get a finished file, ready to print.

It depends on the subject and print size for how much camera resolution you need, IMO. 16mp is great, but that's about an $8k camera too. Probably more than most people need, and the fact that a 16mp camera is that expensive shouldn't keep you away from having any digital camera if you want one. You'll probably be very impressed after you get thru the learning curve of a camera costing 1/10 the price of that particular camera (EOS 1Ds Mark II). This would include cameras like the Nikon D50, D70s, the Canon Digital Rebel XT and others.

Wink Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Well, where do I start... ;)

Those places probably give you a relatively low resolution scan. Another thing to realize about a scan is that the pixel dimensions don't tell the story about the quality of the scan either. Better scanners in the right hands can get you incredible results from 35mm film - but that's not the case here. Differences would include color correction, sharpness, grain removal, spotting out any dust or scratches and shadow detail. Really high quality scans are expensive, so it's something you'd only want to do with a special image that you want a large print from. Places like West Coast Imaging and Calypso do drum scans like this for top-name pros (and a few people around here!).

Also, scan resolution and digital capture resolution are really two different worlds. You'll need a higher scan resolution to equal a digital capture file based on same subject/same print size. Note that I'm not saying digital capture is better, just different. There was a thread recently (in either Help or Digital Imaging, don't remember) about this - you might want to look it up.

I have a 6mp DSLR, and have been very happy with 16x24 prints from it, after some help in Photoshop. Based on my fairly outdated 2700dpi scanner and a really sharp slide on a film like Provia, I get better prints of that size from the DSLR. It also takes less time for me to get a finished file, ready to print.

It depends on the subject and print size for how much camera resolution you need, IMO. 16mp is great, but that's about an $8k camera too. Probably more than most people need, and the fact that a 16mp camera is that expensive shouldn't keep you away from having any digital camera if you want one. You'll probably be very impressed after you get thru the learning curve of a camera costing 1/10 the price of that particular camera (EOS 1Ds Mark II). This would include cameras like the Nikon D50, D70s, the Canon Digital Rebel XT and others.

Nothing more needs to be said!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Guess I can be the devil's advocate here then. That is exactly what I do for all my film. When I drop it off at WalMar, I always have a CD made. I have been quite happy with it so far. I have not had them make anything larger than an 8X10 yet, but I have some pics I shot recently I may take that plunge on. I can tell you then how they do with those.

Thanks! That's way good information. There's a lot more going on there than I even imagined. I understand the difference between mp and resolution. I have a 8mp all in one (sony f828) and I know that a 6mp dslr will make far better enlargements than my camera, even at it's lowes iso64 setting vs a dslr at even iso400. I do have satisfactory prints in 16x20, sometimes... 8x10's come out great.

I'm actually going backwards...to go forwards. I've been wanting to get a manual focus slr to go all the way back to the basics of photography, but I really like being able the manipulate pics myself on my computer. Normally when we develop film we just get them all printed 4x6, and to have one that you like enlarged its a hassle to take the negative back and tell them which one you want blown up....etc...etc...etc...it's a lot easier to upload a file to an online lab and order however many of whatever size I want. as a matter of fact, I don't even know of a real photo lab in town. There's gotta be one though....

BTW, I just got a new B&H catalog the other day and was blown away to see that film scanners can go for $15k...

pretty wild...

Film scanners can cost anything you want to pay - drum scanners like at the places I mentioned cost a lot more than even that, I hear. I've got an older one (Acer 2720S) which I've seen on ebay for under $100, but it's a SCSI connection. It does have a WinXP driver though. I probably wouldn't recommend that one because it doesn't have digital ICE which removes dust spots for you (saves lots of time), but I get nice 8x10's from it. If I were to replace it I'd probably get the Konica-Minolta 5400 but I don't shoot much film anymore.

Nothing wrong with the manual, mechanical camera route too. It can be a great learning tool and it's a nice break from all the computer stuff. I kept my old 35mm rangefinder for those times...

learning member

Two years ago I accidentally checked the box to get a cd with my prints. They are 1536x 1024 dpi.
    A print at 300 dpi 3.5x5. So if you shoot film, you will want a scanner. I think that they scan the film at this res for 3.5x5 and 4x6 in prints and then burn a disc if you want. this was 2 years ago so things might have changed.
    Mark.

I tried this on my first roll, about 5 months ago, they scanned those for email. So, they were very small, in fact when I went from 100 to 150%, they started to become pixelated. That was at Eckerd, but they suck anyway...

Try Dalelabs.com in Florida. They will develope and scan a roll at 6MP and send you back the negs and a disk at 6MP resolution for about $10.00, Less if you order a set of prints also. I use them when I want a high Res. disk. The quality has been great so far.

Thread Information