ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain
    There's no way I can pick just 1...or 5....or 10. I'm a devote music lover, with very eclectic tastes, although I tend to leans towards alternative/new wave.

Just throwing some out I would have to say: The Police, U2, Violent Femmes, The Smiths, Culture Club, The Cure, Beastie Boys, Run DMC, Pixies, George Clinton/Parliament/Funkadelic, The Clash, The Field Mice, XTC, Echo and the Bunnymen, Depeche Mode, New Order.

Danielle
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mig
    There's no way I can pick just 1...or 5....or 10. I'm a devote music lover, with very eclectic tastes, although I tend to leans towards alternative/new wave.

Just throwing some out I would have to say: The Police, U2, Violent Femmes, The Smiths, Culture Club, The Cure, Beastie Boys, Run DMC, Pixies, George Clinton/Parliament/Funkadelic, The Clash, The Field Mice, XTC, Echo and the Bunnymen, Depeche Mode, New Order.

Danielle
    Completely forgot about Violent Femmes!

First date with my now husband was supposed to go see them at Summerfest, in 1996. Listened to them all thru high school. Then my casssette player in the car ate the tape, I got pregnant (not in high school, the tape was very old and worn) and I never replaced it. But now I just might!

I love them......

adina
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

VH-1 Classic

VH-1 Classic plays all music all the time [?!] and has a new show called "the Alternative."
    It plays GREAT old videos [saw Echo and B-men and ViFemmes recently] as well as obscure stuff like Stanard Ridgeway and BeBop Deluxe.

Kinda like 120 Minutes.

And it's also got a Metal Mania hour on the weekends to satisfy that 80's metal jones.

Megan

There's no way I could pick one or two either... I was a little too young in the early 80's, but well into my teenage years by the time it ended, so my taste seems to lean towards the late 80's stuff, mostly hair metal..! Any and all, LOL! Growing up in Europe, we didn't get all of them, so I've "discovered" some after moving over to the States. Give me Metallica, Motley Crue, Aerosmith, Guns n' roses etc any day..! I listen to the radio while driving, and I'm ashamed to say that I can't name half of the newer bands, and find myself tuning in to the "classic" rock stations instead *sigh*. I'm 31 and don't feel like a "classic" listener..! ;-) I also listen to a lot of actual classic music, as well as a multitude of children's cd's although not by choice, LOL!

Take care,
    Eva

Quote Originally Posted by villenadecorte

Kelly- How did you know that about Julian! I thought he fell of the face of the earth.
    I was inlove with him shortly before I became inlove with MJ when Off the Wall came out (yeah, lets not go there with any jokes!)

VD
    Just call me "The Googler"... ;)

VD, you must be just a few years younger than me. My formative 80s years were 80-84, and then I graduated HS and the music stopped having such an emotional effect on me.

At the time, if you asked me if I was into the heavy rock bands I would have vehemently denied it. But now it's the heavy stuff that makes me most nostalgic. Late 80s was great for that stuff -- Whitesnake, Aerosmith, Guns n Roses, Bon Jovi ... in fact, just yesterday my 13 yo was flipping stations in the car, and I made him go back to a Guns n Roses song, and he was like, "MOM, that's not good music!" and I was arguing with HIM "but it's such a good guitar riff!" :-D
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by villenadecorte
    What about Jesus Jones, was he 80s or 90s? And what about Erasure and DEPECHE MODE. Yo! Who can forget them.
    OK I am quickly dating myself here.............
    VD
    Jesus Jones was definitely early 90's - sort of part of the whole Manchester/Soup Dragons/Happy Mondays thing. Erasure was late 80's early 90's coming from the ruins of Yaz when Alison Moyet went solo.

DM was early early 80's and had some pretty major saying power. Saw them on the Violator tour for the first time with Jesus and Mary Chain and Nitzer Ebb... DM work their b*tts off on stage - EXCELLENT in concert!

mg

I have a vivid memory of 80s music, having graduated HS in 1986. Some of my favorites:

Planet P
    The Fixx
    AC/DC (we miss Bon!)
    Metallica (we miss Cliff)
    Talking Heads
    The Clash (we miss Joe!)
    Cheap Trick
    REM
    VAN HALEN (not Van Hagar thank you very much)
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Stevie Ray Vaughan (we miss you!)
    Warren Zevon (we miss you!)

Ok...off to scan in some slides to post.

Woah and I jsut wanted to say WOAH and well woah!!!!

THAT's so cool....I'm so jealous...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Early, early 80's when I was twelve years old - Rush (Tom Saywer), Blondie, Pat Benatar, REO Speedwagon, AC/DC. I think Rick Springfield was the first record I ever bought (Jesse's Girl). Later inthe 80's, I loved the Smiths (Hatful of Hollow), U2, Prince, David Bowie, Roxy Music. It's weird about the Smiths - I thought I might be the only one ot mention them. Maybe there is a corelation with photography.

Today I'm digging Emimem (really) and Broadway show tunes. I've seen Rent, Aida, Phantom of the Opera, and Fiddler on the Roof in NYC over the last year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information