ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    It only hurts when I pee mtbbill's Avatar

EXIF Data usage on websites

So I have been looking at varioius photographers websites and have noticed that some folks strip out the exif data from thier posted shots. I assume some folks don't want to give up the "magic" setup for thier shots. What are the general thoughts on leaving the data in vs striping it out?

-Bill

Ghost

Re: EXIF Data usage on websites

I'm not sure that your assumption is correct for the majority of people. I use Photoshop's "Save for web" feature and I believe it strips out the exif info. I'd have no problems if it left it in there.

ditto trevor's comment for me. I usually save from PS when I post so I thinks the EXIF's gone there too.

misanthrope

Hmmm. The only time I see exif data is when the original file is being used. I will automatically save the jpeg as a tif, which, with my software, tosses the exif data. Then I work from the .tif file to get whatever I need to use (web, print, archive, etc). If I ever noticed that the data was there, I would probably forget about it, since it doesn't mean a whole lot to the average person. The information of ISO 100 at f/5.6, 1/250 for a pic of the redwoods would be great if you were there on that day in that exact lighting and composition and had no idea what to do. But I have little use for exif data- I come up with my own settings to get the image I want, as we all should, IMO.
    "We've all been raised by television to believe that one day we'll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

-Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk

It's really just a crap shoot. So forms of resaving an image will strip the exif data while others leave it intact. I have played around with this myself just to see why it happens . I prefer myself to have the exif data with my posted images. I cetainly do want ppl to see that maigical formula, so they can tell me what I did wrong... or so they can learn something themselves. We post here on pr for 3 reasons as I see it, to share, to learn, and to teach. Exif data can be a big part of that If you use it. Also, I don't know about you cameras, but the software that came with my D30 allows me to tag my work with my name. That is an invisable watermark.

EXIF rules!
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I have nothing to say on this subject, I shoot film.
    But I took a look at your site and noticed a pic of "JD",
    Glad to see he got his Ventanna built.
    Last time I saw him, it was just the frame.
    When did you ride with him?
    Great pics btw...
    Brian
    Ride On!
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    I have nothing to say on this subject, I shoot film.
    But I took a look at your site and noticed a pic of "JD",
    Glad to see he got his Ventanna built.
    Last time I saw him, it was just the frame.
    When did you ride with him?
    Great pics btw...
    Brian
    Ride On!
    Thanks everyone for the feedback, seems to be no designed effort to keep it or strip it.

I met JD for the first time on the my Utah - Fruita MTB road trip a little over a month ago. We rode for the weekend around St George, then he went back to OC and I headed to Fruita. Helluva great guy and a talented rider. It was the incredible scenery of those areas of the country that finally made me pull the trigger on getting a DSLR. While I'm still getting to know my Canon 20D and dusting off SLR techniques that I have not used in 15 years, the new setup has totally revitalized my "inner shutterbug"

-Bill

I fisrt met JD about five years ago now? On my first trip to Fruita.
    I met him on alt-mtb and then saw he was on MTBR too.
    I saw and rode with him last at last year's FFTF, it was fun staying at "The Shack"
    Do you live close to him in SoCal?

Welcome to PR.com by the way.
    Make sure you check out the other forums, especially the Critique Forum, the moderator is a sucker for great mtb photos!
    ;)
    Brian
    Ride On!
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    I fisrt met JD about five years ago now? On my first trip to Fruita.
    I met him on alt-mtb and then saw he was on MTBR too.
    I saw and rode with him last at last year's FFTF, it was fun staying at "The Shack"
    Do you live close to him in SoCal?

Welcome to PR.com by the way.
    Make sure you check out the other forums, especially the Critique Forum, the moderator is a sucker for great mtb photos!
    ;)
    Brian
    Ride On!
    Not too far, I'm in North County San Diego and he is in Orange County, so we have an overlapping normal riding area, funny we have not hooked up for any local Socal riding yet. Just a matter of time though.

Tell him HI for me when you see him!
    Brian
    Ride On!
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Thread Information