ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Exciting news!

Exciting news!

Hey all,

I've been trying to get back into photography in a big way and it's starting to pay off. I've been corresponding with an Airshow magazine and was able to get a letter from them requesting that I be issued a media pass and allowed to shoot local airshows as a writer/photographer. I'm so pumped! What's even better is the first airshow I'm going to do this at is hosted by the Air Guard unit I retired from. It's going to have a lot of firsts...first female pilot to fly with the Thunderbirds, first show from the F-15E Strike Eagle, and first show of Matt Younkin and Kyle Franklin as "Sons of Legends". Some of you that follow airshows may recognize their fathers Bobby Younkin and Jimmy Franklin who were killed performing at an airshow last year. I should be able to get some unique shots that will be interesting to people that follow airshows and airshow performers.

Anyway, all I have to do now is get some great shots and write an article that's interesting enough for the magazine to print. I haven't had to write much since I graduated from college. That's going to be a challenge!

In other big news, my wife is graduating with her PhD in May and has accepted a position as an Assistant Professor at a small university in Western Illinois so we'll be moving this summer. Big changes! All for the better we think.
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Re: Exciting news!

Great - and congrads on the move! We have a pretty big airshow up here (almost to the Wisconsin state line), which they started up again last year but I was out of town when it happened. Heard it was really good so I'll make sure I get there this year.

Magazines pay much better than newspapers, hope you're getting what it's worth!

Congrats!
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Congrats on the wonderful news! Definately a huge responsibility and duty now though I'm sure it'll pay off quite well!

Enjoy it,

Jared

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Great - and congrads on the move! We have a pretty big airshow up here (almost to the Wisconsin state line), which they started up again last year but I was out of town when it happened. Heard it was really good so I'll make sure I get there this year.
    We're going to end up in Macomb and were up there this week looking for a house and potential employers for me and what happens? SNOW, we just missed the stupid blizzard that roared through there. Go to bed no snow. Wake up, 4 plus inches and more coming not to mention the wind! I forgot how much I dislike snow. Guess I'd better get used to it.

Anyway, I've been checking show schedules and it looks like there are quite a few airshows with a few hours drive from the new digs. Unfortunately we won't be there until most of them are over but there's always next year!

One good thing about the location, I'll probably be able to make a Chicago get-together now. I'm looking forward to maybe meeting some people face to face.
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Hey Seb,

Got any suggestions where to look and see what kind of pay I should accept? All of my paid work so far has been large prints done face to face with the customer. This is new territory for me.
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Talking Re: Exciting news!

Congratulations on the media pass buddy! Working for a magazine is awesome. I know you can take great photo's, and you've always communicated well with us. I'm sure you'll do great.

Congratulate the wife also on her PhD! I'm not so sure about the move to Illinois though! ;-)

BTW, Dawn is working on her doctorate as well. She's about halfway through the program.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Just me and my camera

Wow, this is very exciting news, congrats!!
    "You put your camera around your neck along with putting on your shoes, and there it is, an appendage of the body that shares your life with you."--Dorothea Lange

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    Congratulations on the media pass buddy! Working for a magazine is awesome. I know you can take great photo's, and you've always communicated well with us. I'm sure you'll do great.

Congratulate the wife also on her PhD! I'm not so sure about the move to Illinois though! ;-)

BTW, Dawn is working on her doctorate as well. She's about halfway through the program.
    I figure if I send the magazine something they can use, they'll give me more opportunities which will allow me to improve!

I passed your congratulations on to Collette. She said to wait until her dissertation is done and her committee has accepted it. She just passed the defense of her proposal not long ago. Talk about stressful! What PhD is Dawn working on? She got any hints about how to keep a 15 month old from screaming and screeching? (We're having a blast with Gus!!)

As for the move to Illinois. It's going to be quite a change for us. To accept the change of pace from frenetic to slow and comfortable will be a challenge. The area we live in now has been booming, economically, for almost a decade, fueled mostly by Wal-Mart but also several other large corporations. It's estimated about 1000 people a month are moving here and our unemployment still hovers below what economists considered fully employed, usually less that 3%. Compare that to the town we're moving to being very excited about a new factory bringing in a little more than 200 jobs. That's a slow week here. Oh well, I'll find something to do to keep me out of trouble!
    Troy

www.troybates.com

It is exciting! Thank you!!
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Wink I passed your congratulations on to Collette

Quote Originally Posted by I_Fly
    I passed your congratulations on to Collette. She said to wait until her dissertation is done and her committee has accepted it. She just passed the defense of her proposal not long ago. Talk about stressful! What PhD is Dawn working on? She got any hints about how to keep a 15 month old from screaming and screeching? (We're having a blast with Gus!!)
    She'll do fine! If they've accepted her proposal then she's on the home stretch.

Dawn is working on her Doctarate in Naturopatic Medicine, so she will be a ND, and offcially have the title of Dr. McCabe. She has finished the first half of it, and now has a post-masters certificate. I figure she'll finish the course this summer, early fall at the latest. We'll see how it goes.

"She got any hints about how to keep a 15 month old from screaming and screeching?"

I'll ask her, but she'll probably want more information regarding the screaming...

;-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Re: I passed your congratulations on to Collette

Ok, what's Naturpatic Medicine? That's still cool!

As for the screaming, I think it's just his natural curiousity trying to figure out what his voice can do in different environments. Sometimes it would be nice to have a mute buttong though!
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Thread Information