ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Eiffel Tower time lapses

Hello all!

I finally put my camera to use in the time lapse side of photography! All comments will be appreciated. It's my first try and please do watch in HD! Also if you have any questions let me know and i'll try to help out if I can. I'm really loving this time lapse stuff! but it'll take away from my regular photography time I'm sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB9ZOaPKPCw
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Re: Eiffel Tower time lapses

This is really cool, definitely worth the time to watch.

Is it true that France owns the copyright to after-dark images of the eiffel tower?
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Quote Originally Posted by Sushigaijin
    This is really cool, definitely worth the time to watch.
    I'll second that! much better in HD if you're not bandwidth impaired...

Great work Liban, and what an enormous amount of editing!

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

How far apart were your exposures. What camera are you using? Srry, I forgot.
    My old Chinon would do time lapse. You could adjust it anywhere from seconds to hours...up to 24 if I remember right. I miss that on my D80.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

That is fantastic!
    DISCLAIMER: I am just a newbie. If I comment on your image I am only stating what I like and/or see. Otherwise, I have little technical knowledge to contribute.

Wonderful stuff!! As valley girls once would say, like totally amazing

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Erik,
    Yes, it's true that eiffel is copy righted at night. but you can take all the photos you want, as long as you don't publish it in a magazine or book, etc. basically as long as you don't make money from it. and it's not the tower itself that's copyrighted it's the light show. so the company that designed the lights are the ones that you gotta get permission from, i'm guessing in the forms of fees etc.

Thanks jetrim!

Frog,
    The interval between shots was set to 3 seconds for the majority of these. I'm using a Nikon D300 and yeah, i just use the interval setting and sit back and have a coffee. The shots range from 240 shots for a 10 sec clip to 360 shots for a 15 sec clip. they take about 12-18 minutes to shoot. not bad. Although the last clip was about 900 shots, i just parked and sat back for that one.

Thanks mimi

LOL Mike, Thanks!
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Havana Cuba Photography

Outstanding!! Now you have my curiosity peaked I'm going to have to look into this time lapse thing.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Hey OT, u should definitely try it out. Cloudy days are best. Also u gotta watch out this thing is very addictive lol
    Liban

Havana Cuba Photography

That was extremely enjoyable and interesting Liban.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Quote Originally Posted by LeeIs
    The interval between shots was set to 3 seconds for the majority of these. I'm using a Nikon D300 and yeah, i just use the interval setting and sit back and have a coffee. The shots range from 240 shots for a 10 sec clip to 360 shots for a 15 sec clip. they take about 12-18 minutes to shoot. not bad. Although the last clip was about 900 shots, i just parked and sat back for that one.
    I shall have to copy this idea. It sounds like my sort of photography. The only problem is you can't print it and put it on a wall
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Love the time lapse - how long did it take to take each part of the final video?

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Pentax Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    I shall have to copy this idea. It sounds like my sort of photography. The only problem is you can't print it and put it on a wall
    Well actually Franglais...with the new digital frames, you can put them on the wall. Just not in "print"!
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Pentax Forum Moderator

Leels, awesome project. Loved the whole series. I did a time lapse a few years ago of my sleep study. I had access to a power source and was able to do it over an 8 hour period. It was funny!! I wish I would have done closer intervals though. I did 5 minutes. therefore I missed a lot of tossing and turning!!
    I've since lost my Nikon and so am unable to do anymore time lapses, but something that is definitely lots of fun to do!!
    Keep up the great work!!!
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Tom, thank you.

Franglais, you live in paris.. that's awesome. i would love to see your take on this. As far as not being able to put it on a wall film makers can't either. I see these as producing mini films. no one has ever put a film on someone's wall lol. I would love to see your variations though!

Roger, every 10 sec clip took about 240 shots with about 3 seconds interval , which translates to about 12 minutes shooting time for a 10 sec video.

Ken, thanks, and i'm terribly sorry for you loss man! I lost one camera and I understand how terrible it must feel. I hope that lost will translate in the longer run to you getting a better cam and capturing more with greater accuracy in the future, thanks for commenting! and looking forward to view your work.
    Liban

Havana Cuba Photography

AWESOME. Like, totally faved.

Thanks ray, saw your comment over at youtube too.
    Liban

Havana Cuba Photography

Thread Information