ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Editorial portraiture

I recently worked with a photographer whose style and attitude inspired me a great deal. Up until very recently (last week) I have not had any interest in shooting people. This has changed, and I will produce a portfolio of editorial and lifestyle portraiture for my graduation. Another influence has been my good friend R. Bradley who is a fellow student. Brad came from the theatre scene and has been around actors and performance artists for a long time. It really shows in his work. Probably the most important thing I have learned from Brad and John is that you do not have to conform to society norms and values to be a successful people photographer. It's really a lot more about telling the story behind the face. I have a long way to go with this but I really feel that I have discovered a new facet to photography that I shunned in the past because I did not think that I had anything to contribute to the genre.
    Enclosed are the first two successful images I have produced with my new interest in mind, both were taken last week. The lady in front of the woodpile is my mother. She is currently quite ill with kidney disease (12% function of kidneys) and will most likely have to go on dialysis unless a transplant option comes through soon. I wanted to show her determination and vibrancy despite what problems lurk beneath the surface.
    The second image is of my friend and shooting buddy Hollis. Hollis is majoring in fine art and currently working on a project dealing with the downfall of society. He is quite opinionated and comes across as pompous and arrogant to many people. I wanted to preserve this quality that he has about him but at the same time portray him as the successful and strong individual that he is. Another challenge was to capture the environment in which he creates his images, I was only marginally successful here but I still think it is a valid representation of him.

Thanx for listening, any input on people photography would be interesting to hear about.

SJ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Editorial portraiture-woodpile.jpg   Editorial portraiture-hollis.jpg  

Wonderful contribution.

Wonderful to have you contributing to this site. I have missed your images and your comments. Hope that once you get this schooling thing out of the way you will once again become a regular contributor.

As for your new direction with your photos, one can only say what took you so long. These are wonderful examples of your talent and artistic ablity. Each image conveys a real sense of the individual. Your mother's eyes are so direct and piercing they exhibit her determination and strong will.

Don't be a stranger to the forum.

R.Bradleys website

I couldn't remember the URL last night, be sure to check it out:www.royhowellphotography.com

SJ

Nice work, as always, SJ. Your mention of editorial portraiture gave me a hankerin' for some Alfred Eisenstadt. I love the portraits he did of some of the famous artists and leaders of the last century.I scratched that itch with a cruise across the web. I think he was one of the best, but you will probably work your way into that ranking as well. I expect that the high caliber work we have seen from you in the past will continue into whatever area you work.

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Good to see work...

I missed your vision.

And it's neat to see your portraits. Thanks for coming back!

Megan

Liz

Smile Welcome back.

Great images. I love the behind-the-scene history/story. I read it with interest. Thanks for taking the time to post all the information and the images. I hope you'll post some more. It's a learning experience too.....so much can be done by with photography when there is a creative mind at work !

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Sailorjerry
    I recently worked with a photographer whose style and attitude inspired me a great deal. Up until very recently (last week) I have not had any interest in shooting people. This has changed, and I will produce a portfolio of editorial and lifestyle portraiture for my graduation. Another influence has been my good friend R. Bradley who is a fellow student. Brad came from the theatre scene and has been around actors and performance artists for a long time. It really shows in his work. Probably the most important thing I have learned from Brad and John is that you do not have to conform to society norms and values to be a successful people photographer. It's really a lot more about telling the story behind the face. I have a long way to go with this but I really feel that I have discovered a new facet to photography that I shunned in the past because I did not think that I had anything to contribute to the genre.
    Enclosed are the first two successful images I have produced with my new interest in mind, both were taken last week. The lady in front of the woodpile is my mother. She is currently quite ill with kidney disease (12% function of kidneys) and will most likely have to go on dialysis unless a transplant option comes through soon. I wanted to show her determination and vibrancy despite what problems lurk beneath the surface.
    The second image is of my friend and shooting buddy Hollis. Hollis is majoring in fine art and currently working on a project dealing with the downfall of society. He is quite opinionated and comes across as pompous and arrogant to many people. I wanted to preserve this quality that he has about him but at the same time portray him as the successful and strong individual that he is. Another challenge was to capture the environment in which he creates his images, I was only marginally successful here but I still think it is a valid representation of him.

Thanx for listening, any input on people photography would be interesting to hear about.

SJ

People rule!

Hi Hans,
    First, I am glad to see you again.
    Second, I am as glad to see your shooting people. Portrature rules in general, and with your artistic vision and style your portraits are bound to be outstanding.
    Irakly

Thread Information