ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Do any of you ever get scared for your safety?

I shot some pics of a couple of abandoned run down structures lately (I'll post pics when I get a chance) and I was a little scared out there all alone. I mean, you never know if there's some strung out druggie or homeless person living in what looks like an abandoned structure. The way I think of it, if they see an expensive looking camera, you might look like a tempting target for a mugging to such a person. The last place I was looking at was some sort of industial site that had a few structures that would make a nice shelter for several people... Just wondering.. Maybe I'm just a little paranoid.

Scared for Safety? Try real estate!

We get calls to show vacant houses all the time and people actually act offended when we ask them to meet us at our office first - they just want to meet at the house! I don't think so!
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

It's hurricane season... again...
    There's definitely something to be said for instinct in those situations- listen to your gut! You can't be too careful... thanks for reminding us!
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    A GUN SIGHT????

is it hunting season in california? if so.... i can understand why the RIFLE(or a law enforcement figure). otherwise...... 911 IN YOUR CASE.... climb the hill AND TAKE IMAGES in mine ;)

I travel "heavy" alot and have very little fear.. I was "heavy" in NYC BTW ;-) (though I am also quite intelligent enough to know to walk away)

This world is dangerous! If we MAKE IT more dangerous with our actions, we should be aware of our surrounding (as I always am)

the original question mentioned homeless/ drug addicts.... I'd be more worried about a person with a clear head and new clothes mugging me to be honest. homeless people aren't ALL bad souls, nor are all ADDICTED people ;) that comment was not nice, though I do understand your thoughts and concerns.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    I'd be more worried about a person with a clear head and new clothes mugging me to be honest. homeless people aren't ALL bad souls, nor are all ADDICTED people ;) that comment was not nice, though I do understand your thoughts and concerns.
    I guess it's a matter of where you live. Criminals in new clothes with clear heads won't make much of a living in my area (it's pretty rural and almost NO ONE walks as a means of transportation, not like a big city where there's tons of people on the street), but there are a lot of tweakers living on the streets around here! I know a bit about that because my brother lived with them for a couple of years before he cleaned himself up and pulled himself out of the gutter.. I wasn't particularly referring to the offramp sitting sign holding type of homeless person but the strung out needing a fix type...

Surprising a bear isn't a good idea and I suppose the same is true for someone living in an abandoned building. I've never had that happen to me in a couple of times of doing this, but never been in an abandoned building alone, either. Could be other hazards too - weak structure (fall thru the floor?) snakes and chemicals, etc. If you choose to go alone, at least let someone know where you're going.

I saw some great ruins on an island of South Carolina of a mansion, but they said not to get too close - it was full of snakes. I don't know if it's true or that's just what they tell northerners.

I've often wondered how safe it is to hike in the wilderness with $1000+ worth of photography gear but so far I have not had a problem. One thing for sure, if they want to mug me they had better kill me first.

Common Sense

Common Sense can go a long way in these situations. Travel light, travel with someone and if the situation gets too hairy, leave. You can always get the picture another time.

This goes for any type of photography. Sometimes we are so wrapped up with taking the photo that we forget to look around us for signs of danger. Heard stories of photogs getting hit by lightning, drowned in a flash flood in a slot canyon, falling off cliffs, getting shot, etc.

Be careful out there folks,

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I consider myself very "street smart", and because of the hard knocks I've had off and on during my life, I can't really say that I am afraid of anything. But, common sense, good judgement, and relying on my "gut" has kept me safe in my street shooting in Philly. At this point in my life, I actually feel safer cruising the streets of a big city than I would on a backpacking/hiking adventure.

I've yet to encounter any problem or danger in photography, but at the same time I too am always aware of my surroundings. Especially when taking pictures in L.A. I keep eyes in the back of my head when I think I'm in a situation where something may possibly happen. Perhaps the only place I feel a bit wary is when I am out alone in the hills or mountains here in the southland, and that's because I don't wish to prolong any encounter with the occasional cougar that pops up from now and then. Up in the sierra mountains or desert areas I have no qualms about carring my semi-auto pistol with me (in hopes of scaring bears, coyotes, or cougars in case I come across any). One of my prospecting buddies used to kid me that I reminded him of those preachers back in the wild west days who used to always pack a six-shooter when riding from town to town, lol. Unfortunately one can't do that here in L.A. without getting arrested, unless of course he has a license to carry. But good luck getting one of those in the city.

Ray

There's something to be said here for carrying the biggest and heaviest tripod you can. However, a big tripod won't save you from a guy on a hill with a deer rifle, but it might deter muggers.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    but a glock 19 or 21, a desert eagle mark VII 50 cal or my new SW 38 snubby on my ankle will deter if need be

hope to NEVER need, but never can totally trust this world now can we??

my only close encounter with DANGER(besides a few bears) was a group of CRIPS in Houston.....I told them my gear is worth " THEIR LIFE" and kept walking. hehehe, walk with confidence and show no weakness IS the best deterant besides staying home ;) DON'T look like or act like a victim
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information