ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Digital Photography, Consumer Labs, and Being too Good..Article From the SL Trib..

I cam across this article in today's Salt Lake Tribune, about digital photography and consumer labs. Its mention copyright issues in the digital age too.
    I thought I'd share it with you all.
    http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_2807336

Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Re: Digital Photography, Consumer Labs, and Being too Good..Article From the SL Trib..

Thanks Brian. A must read I think, for digi photogs.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Re: Digital Photography, Consumer Labs, and Being too Good..Article From the SL Trib..

Very interesting, and it even mentions Wal-Mart, so I'm happy. I know at our store we've experienced very little of that, but there's alot of stuff changing right now in regards to it. Very interesting stuff,

Jared

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

I'm really glad to read this...

Thanks for the informative article, Brian...

Convenience problems of "consumers" aside, I'm definitely encouraged that these labs are taking copyright protection so seriously. I will always prefer an educated employee erring on the side of caution to someone who doesn't know any better just printing anything for anyone.

Not to seem insensitive, but it is fairly easy to document original ownership of a digital photo image. If nothing else, the file EXIF data should match up with your camera.

Sure, a very inconvenient hoop to jump through sometimes, and certainly a system that's probably not too difficult to get around illegally if you put your mind to it, but IMO a small price to pay for having your work protected (at least to some degree).

My image discs to all my clients now include a readme file with documentation of who has reproduction rights to the images. These rights on occasion need to be fairly broad as often times many people (models, magazine staff, stylists, agency bookers, etc.) will have the need to have prints made. The readme can easily be printed and shown to any lab staff. I also include contact info so I can quickly clear up any misunderstanding if I need to.

In this new age of easy digital "pickings", I think we need to educate the general public of what is protected and exactly how far they are allowed to go in using copyrighted work.

IMO, having strict rules at commercial labs is a step in the right direction...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Re: Digital Photography, Consumer Labs, and Being too Good..Article From the SL Trib.

an excellent article, very informative, and will be handy when I switch to digicams or if my dad get's a better one. thanks Brian.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

They call me Andy... ACArmstrong's Avatar

I also make sure that the EXIF data is a "good read" on all my photos before anyone gets to see them. And, when I do TFCD work, I always include a letter of copyright release that bears my signature and outlines the exact level of use for its holder.When I forgot to do this on one occassion, the local lab called me immediately and asked me to provide a letter on behalf of the person trying to print. I thanked them profusely for looking out for me.
    Andy Armstrong
    Please visit my photography site - Andy Armstrong Photography

Thread Information