ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Digital Photo Frames - Read the terms and usage statements!

I saw this on a photo blog the other day and thought I would share it with you. If you have or are thinking of getting a digital photo frame, be sure to read the terms and usage statement before you start uploading your photos. You could be giving your photos away without even knowing it.

Here is part of their terms and usage statement from the Shogo Digital Photo Frame website:

By submitting, uploading, posting or displaying Content on or through ShogoLive, you hereby grant RealEase (and its successors and assigns) a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, transferable licence under your copyrights or other intellectual property rights in such Content to:
    reproduce, adapt, distribute, display, publish, create derivative works from, and use such Content in any manner (in whole or part) without any duty to account to you through the ShogoLive (including but not limited to RSS or other content feeds offered through ShogoLive) and other RealEase's services

Here is the blog entry that has more info on this product.

http://www.photoattorney.com/2008/07...any-takes.html
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Re: Digital Photo Frames - Read the terms and usage statements!

Interesting! Thanks for the link.
    Megan

Join me on Facebook!
    Twitter: @ponycargirl

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I thought you loaded the pics AFTER buying the frame. I wouldn't buy a pre-loaded one, even for a gift.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I have just been reading a similar blog about how companies are using photography competitions as a cheap way to build a photo library. the full article can be found here:
    http://blogs.smh.com.au/photographer...ine_print.html
    it seems like if you don't want to unknowingly assign someone else your copyright then you shouldn't share your pictures with anyone.

most frames you do load them after you buy it, it appears this kind has wifi so you can link to photo galleries online and maintain them that way and share them with friends etc....

i just use my screen saver as my photo album :-D
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    I have just been reading a similar blog about how companies are using photography competitions as a cheap way to build a photo library. the full article can be found here:
    http://blogs.smh.com.au/photographer...ine_print.html
    it seems like if you don't want to unknowingly assign someone else your copyright then you shouldn't share your pictures with anyone.
    That's been going on ever since the first photo competition, I think. Photo contests have always been a way for companies to get photo for less than they would have to pay a working pro. I guess digital photography and the Internet would allow them to increase the volume, though.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Never heard of the digital frame that you didn't load at home; but you learn something new everyday. However, I guess it is like all other things in life, READ THE FINE PRINT and understand it. If you do not understand it, don't sign.Similar to a mortgage committment.
    "And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free"

Cameras: D700 | D300| F5 (Retired to the shelf)
    Lenses: Nikkor 20-35 F/2.8D IF-ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70 F/2.8G EDIF ZOOM | Nikkor AF-S 70-200 F/2.8D EDIF VR ZOOM | Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4D IF-ED
    Flashes: SB20 | SB28 | SB800
    Gitzo Tripod, Markins Ball Head
    Solmeta N2 GPS (2)

banished

If you are a photo enthusiast who likes to take a lot of photos with a digital camera, you may have lots of pictures stored on your computer does not get enough of watching. While it is true you are not a professional photographer, you may still take a lot of valuable pictures and see being displayed. This is no longer a problem with the invention of the digital photo frame.
    Last edited by andieecarter; 04-07-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Thread Information