ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Despair

Despair

This poor, homeless soul wanders aimlessly around City Hall in downtown Philadelphia. On Sunday, temps reached 90 with extreme humidity. This is how I found him, and after I asked if I could get him some water(he shook his head no without changing positions), I took a quick shot and left him. I thought about him the rest of the day.
    D100 used, but this was a time that I wished I had my Leica or Contax loaded with Tri-X.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Despair-despair1.jpg  

Liz

Mood

Charles,
    This is a very moving photo. It's a thought-provoking image that is a wake-up-to-reality call. When I'm in NY there are times I almost can't handle seeing all the poor and homeless people. It's always shocking to me, no matter how often I see them. Something I can never get used to. We have many in Paterson, but there are many more in NY.

Thanks for posting the photo. It's too typical of the times, of today. As Charles Dickens so aptly put it in the Tale of Two Cities "it was the best of times, and the worst of times."

Liz

A very strong photograph. Tri-X would look great here, but knowing the B&W look that you wanted helped a lot with the digital conversion. It's all in the subtleties.

Aptly titled, Charles...

This moves the heart. Thank you.

Ray

Well done..

Well done Charles. This is one of those images that can be hard to look at, but you feel you must. Certainly makes you ponder the fate of this individual and how we as a society can continue to ignore it. You are right about the Tri-X, it would have been perfect for this shot. It always invokes a feeling of the 60's and the whole feel of the those times when I see images recorded on it.

the subject and the feeling of helplessness at seeing an image like this make the title you chose just right...

Seems odd to thank you based on the subject matter---but thanks for your amazing skills and sharing the slices of your life with us.
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Very well done. The tight composition really works. I always like a little less information in a photo (as you have done) so the viewer can use his imagination and each person interpreters it differently. I always enjoy your street work especially those photos with social connotation. (Thank god for my add on spell check)

How did you do that?

How did you add on speel check. I could surre ues that.

Mr Old Timer, looks like you need a SPELL CHECK really badly. Good little item. Once you set it up it plants an icon on the top alongside the other icons. Works like the spell check when you email. Looks like I've finally done something useful here.

Liz

Unhappy Correction Gerry!

Looks like I've finally done something useful here.

Your photography has been the source of so much inspiration here - especially for me. I truly love your street shots. You always capture such interesting subjects and compose your shots perfectly. I always want to go & grab my camera and take the bus to NY when I view your images. You really have inspired me many time. So......just posting your photos, you're doing more than something useful!

Liz

What a great "quick shot!"

I too agree with everyone else - great shot. Good use of b&w, exposure, great detail, very gritty, composition, it all seems right to me.

Spike

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hess
    This poor, homeless soul wanders aimlessly around City Hall in downtown Philadelphia. On Sunday, temps reached 90 with extreme humidity. This is how I found him, and after I asked if I could get him some water(he shook his head no without changing positions), I took a quick shot and left him. I thought about him the rest of the day.
    D100 used, but this was a time that I wished I had my Leica or Contax loaded with Tri-X.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

:)

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hess

great image .AS THEY ALWAYS ARE
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Great image Charles, and very moving. I'm sure this was a difficult image to take.

Regards,
    Brian

Thread Information