ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    They call me Andy... ACArmstrong's Avatar

Darling Nikki: Glamour Session

This is my second session with Nikki, an up and coming model here in Knoxville. She's so long, lean and beautiful and is getting better at modeling every day. Here's a few from our Friday session, and a link to a gallery of 34 images.

A couple of things before you look - these were shot with a Canon 10d and Hotlights on Seamless paper (Super White and Thunder Gray). They were shot in my home studio (aka a long hardwood floored living room not great for furniture, but perfect for a small studio setup). The lighting is my standard setup - 3 or 2 lights depending on the effect (2 for key, 1 background) and a 4x6' silver reflector for fill.

PLEASE NOTE: The last in this batch were goth/fetish at her request there is no nudity in the ones I've posted here OR the ones in the gallery. However, there are a couple of thong shots in the gallery. If you don't want to see a lady in a thong, then don't visit the gallery

The 34 frame full gallery:

http://www.476design.com/nk2/index.htm
    Andy Armstrong
    Please visit my photography site - Andy Armstrong Photography

Re: Darling Nikki: Glamour Session

I want your job

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

I agree that your job does LOOK to be a fun one, but I want your SKILL ;)

I always look at your posts in amazement at not only the beauty you catch, but the way you make them look MORE beautiful ;)

BTW.... GOTH is GOOD !
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Pentax Forum Moderator

I'm not into goth, but I must say this, everything I've seen from you is excellent. Your photography, your posing, your lighting and your presentation of your photos is always extremely well done. Thank you for such fine work,
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Another beautiful job Andy. Your lighting and presentation are top notch. Very nice work out of a home studio. Keep up the great post.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by ACArmstrong
    This is my second session with Nikki, an up and coming model here in Knoxville. She's so long, lean and beautiful and is getting better at modeling every day. Here's a few from our Friday session, and a link to a gallery of 34 images.

A couple of things before you look - these were shot with a Canon 10d and Hotlights on Seamless paper (Super White and Thunder Gray). They were shot in my home studio (aka a long hardwood floored living room not great for furniture, but perfect for a small studio setup). The lighting is my standard setup - 3 or 2 lights depending on the effect (2 for key, 1 background) and a 4x6' silver reflector for fill.

PLEASE NOTE: The last in this batch were goth/fetish at her request there is no nudity in the ones I've posted here OR the ones in the gallery. However, there are a couple of thong shots in the gallery. If you don't want to see a lady in a thong, then don't visit the gallery

The 34 frame full gallery:

http://www.476design.com/nk2/index.htm
    What a beautiful woman! Great tan and I love that long, dark hair!

I'm not a big fan of Goth, and IHMO, the goth look detracts from her natural beauty. But to each his/her own.

And I second what Paul said, I'd love to have your talent to shoot glamour!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Artistic question -- When to tilt?

Hi AC,

Once again the images are all striking and well presented. And, as always, the post processing is just great too -- with skin tones and texture coming out looking great (not over done).

I have a general question (for all).... When looking through the viewfinder, what is it that you see when you decide to tilt the camera?

I'm still at the stage when I try and keep the horizontal level and don't often "see" possible tilts to improve the composition. I ask here because I really like those images that are tilted (and the ones that are not).

Thanks in advance,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

They call me Andy... ACArmstrong's Avatar

Re: Artistic question -- When to tilt?

Tim - excellent question - one I hadn't really thought about until you mentioned it. I just went back through the photos from this shoot and looked the ones I went diagonal or tilted with. The one common thread of the most of the tilted shots in this set is an extra curve I might have missed without the tilt, and I almost always end up with my model's head and face in the "level" position within the frame.

I'm going to have to really give this some more thought... maybe I just like the drama of the diagonal shot - I'm not sure, but it's something I do instinctively - I just find myself turning the camera past level while I'm shooting.
    Andy Armstrong
    Please visit my photography site - Andy Armstrong Photography

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    GOTH is GOOD !
    Yes is is!
    ;)

Megan (resident goth)

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Knowing the song the subject line is nicked from, I wasn't sure WHAT I was going to see in this thread! The shots are wonderful - very professional and well-done. She's gorgeous, and you and camera collaborated to create a result that is more than the sum of its parts. I didn't find the fetish shot presented here to be over-the-top (though it would be cool to see her in a dominant pose as well.) I'll check out the gallery. The goth police approve.

Megan

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

The reason goth is good is.... INDIVIDUAL CHOICE ROCKS!

Being "different" is not always easy either .... but far more exiting that fitting the "norm"
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Another good session!

The goth look is good. But I suspect that you could put that model into a little bo peep outfit and AC could make her look good!

Thread Information