ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

View Poll Results: Who did you vote for in 2004?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • George Bush

    17 36.17%
  • John Kerry

    22 46.81%
  • Ralph Nader

    1 2.13%
  • Chose not to Vote

    4 8.51%
  • What Election?

    3 6.38%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 68
  1. #1
    Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    4,655

    The country is 50/50

    How does PR.com fare?
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit


    Check out the Welcome Thread

    My photography on Myspace

  2. #2
    Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,972

    Thumbs down Poll, Schmoll!

    I don't care for "Exit Polls"!
    Elections are and should be won on votes, not "exit polls"!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

    A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety... - Ansel Adams

    "Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

  3. #3
    Princess of the OT adina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    rockin' it in the D
    Posts
    3,853

    I'm 50/50 all by myself

    I hate the idea of handing a war off to a president who didn't make the decision to enter it. However it ends, I think the next president is going to take the flack for it, be it Kerry or Bush. I think since Bush pushed to go to war, he should be held accountable for the outcome.


    But then again, I don't agree with a lot of Bush's other views....
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

  4. #4
    Hardcore...Nikon Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Newport, NC
    Posts
    4,319

    The country is 50/50 - Not Really

    Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    How does PR.com fare?

    All the polls which showed the candidates neck and neck (or Kerry leading - Gallop), today are suddenly and mysteriously showing Bush 51% and Kerry 48%. Curious.

    One explanation I've heard is that they last poll before the election is the only one people remember, and they've got to get that one right in order to maintain any credibility. At any rate, it's above my pay grade.

    Remember, statistics don't lie, but liars use statistics. Poll numbers don't mean a thing. In the end, it's the votes that matter.

    Hope everyone went out and did their civic duty.
    Nikon Samurai # 1


    http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

    http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

    "Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

  5. #5
    shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    401

    Re: The country is 50/50 - Not Really

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    it's the votes that matter.

    Well at least it is the electoral votes that do anyhow. Sorry four years later and I still can't get over it. Someday....Someday....oh wait I'm hoping that day will be tomorrow.

  6. #6
    GoldMember Lava Lamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,422

    Re: The country is 50/50

    Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    How does PR.com fare?
    My daughter's second grade class voted 16 to 9 in favor of Bush.

  7. #7
    has-been... another view's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Rockford, IL
    Posts
    7,649

    Re: The country is 50/50 - Not Really

    Quote Originally Posted by berrywise
    Well at least it is the electoral votes that do anyhow. Sorry four years later and I still can't get over it. Someday....Someday....oh wait I'm hoping that day will be tomorrow.
    Four years ago wasn't the only time in history that the President elected didn't get the popular vote; it's happened a couple of times but not in any of our lifetimes.

  8. #8
    Seasoned Minolta Man Clemmie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Lincolnton, NC, USA
    Posts
    229

    Re: The country is 50/50 - Not Really

    I don't trust Polls, or care much for pollsters (especially the on the phone variety). As a result, I deliberately give them the wrong answer when they bug me - and I'm sure I'm not alone in this practice.

    Just once in my lifetime, I would love to see an election that pre-polled at 50-50 come out as a decisive landslide - just to prove my point. Will it be today? We shall see.......

  9. #9
    Ilford Nut Dzerzhinski46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    People's Republic of Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    623

    Arrow Poll Cats

    Dear All,

    I think that the best outcome in this election would be a descisive win for who ever got it. No matter who you voted for, I think we all hope that this one will not be ambiguous. It would be wonderful if who ever won, won desicively. It is all I hope and pray for in this election.

    Dzerzhinski
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

    Lost Planet Cameraman #8


  10. #10
    Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Planet Megan - Astoria, NY
    Posts
    1,850

    Poll is exactly 50/50 at this moment

    I sure did my civic duty. I got up at 6 a.m. (OUCH!) and got to the polls by 6:35. No matter who you vote for, and no matter how divisive and polarized the campaigns were, it kind of makes me tingly and excited that it inspired so many citizens to get off their duffs and practive what this country is about.

    Megan

  11. #11
    Member Jezz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    163

    Re: Poll is exactly 50/50 at this moment

    Im in aus and its plastered all over the place, but to be honest not many of us down under give a s&%#!!!!!
    Sooo, do you like stuff?


    Well do ya?


    Punk?

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    326

    Re: The country is 50/50

    HEY JESS!

    I'm Canadian.
    If you dont wanna see this stuff then why did you reply?

    Topic: The country is 50/50 is a pretty good indication what this is about.
    Even if you stumbled upon it...DONT ANSWER!

    It's just that simple.

  13. #13
    Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    4,655

    I agree

    with Megan and others in that I am elated to see so much turn-out for this election! There's been an electricity in the Democractic groups I've been in this year and if the same is true of Republican groups I think this election will see the highest turnout in years! That is more exciting to me at the moment than who wins. I'm watching CNN etc. and 2-3 hours AFTER the polls closed in Florida and Ohio, there still lines going around the buildings with people waiting to get in to vote.

    How you can not love that?!

    I heard a story on the radio today about a woman in line to vote who at 65 years of age had never voted in an election. She felt called to vote for the first time in her life because she felt this was a very important election. I think most other Americans believe that, too.

    BTW I didn't mean for this poll to be deterministic, but just for entertainment purposes So let's all laugh!

    I think the important thing here is more people are voting (hopefully), which means more people are engaging the machinery of this democractic process. When more people are making choices, accountability goes up. The decisions that are made with regards to our government are being made by more and more of the populace, so responsibility is increased. If we vote-in a bad president, more people are forced to say "I did that!" and the magic of "choice" becomes apparent in our lives. Apathy disappears, accuontability increases and most importantly, we learn from having made a choice. Sitting on the couch is not making a choice, insofar as you have not chosen one candidate or the other. Without making a choice, one loses the ability to see how reality works. Making choices, even the wrong ones, we're engaging the process of life and the next time around we'll be better inclined to choice wisely. But without ever having reached out, without ever having tried we cannot say that we've learned. In this, I see this election as a good thing

    Just my thoughts. Feel free to take as you will.

    Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit


    Check out the Welcome Thread

    My photography on Myspace

  14. #14
    Erstwhile Vagabond armed with camera Lionheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,110

    Re: The country is 50/50

    Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    How does PR.com fare?
    As of this post 61% of the Ohio precincts have reported. No president ever got elected without winning Ohio, and Bush leads comfortably in Ohio. If all other states stay the same, Ohio will be the difference for Kerry, without it, no hope at all. With Ohio, Bush wins comfortably. Just an update in case no one is tracking this state by state.
    No matter who wins, we all lose. The winner gets to inherit a nation widely divided, as if we need a repeat of 4 years ago. This is what really bites. I hope the nation rallies behind whoever wins, because nothing will be gained if we stay divided. Just my two cents.
    Seek the Son and the shadows fall behind you.

    slowly inching to 2000

    Mac's Rule, Windblows drools
    Friends don't let Friends use WindBlows XPee
    <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/schrackman/clover.jpg">Lionheart O'Canon Feel Free to Help

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    326

    Re: The country is 50/50

    Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart
    As of this post 61% of the Ohio precincts have reported. No president ever got elected without winning Ohio, and Bush leads comfortably in Ohio. If all other states stay the same, Ohio will be the difference for Kerry, without it, no hope at all. With Ohio, Bush wins comfortably. Just an update in case no one is tracking this state by state.
    No matter who wins, we all lose. The winner gets to inherit a nation widely divided, as if we need a repeat of 4 years ago. This is what really bites. I hope the nation rallies behind whoever wins, because nothing will be gained if we stay divided. Just my two cents.
    Not that much comfort.
    Only 2 points at the moment

  16. #16
    Erstwhile Vagabond armed with camera Lionheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,110

    Re: The country is 50/50

    update:
    The gap is closing on Bush in Ohio, with 86% reporting. A win for Bush pretty much wraps it up. A win for Kerry makes it really exciting. I might even stay up all night to track the election, but probably not. I've got an 8am to 8pm day scheduled tomorrow, and my patients probably wouldn't appreciate a sleepy dentist working on them. The election may not be decided even by tomorrow, with half a million absentee votes yet to count in Florida, and also in Ohio, but I can't seem to find anywhere what that number might be. The news stations have all given Florida to Bush, despite the absentee votes. Exciting night still, at least until they give Ohio to Bush, then it'll be all over.
    Seek the Son and the shadows fall behind you.

    slowly inching to 2000

    Mac's Rule, Windblows drools
    Friends don't let Friends use WindBlows XPee
    <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/schrackman/clover.jpg">Lionheart O'Canon Feel Free to Help

  17. #17
    Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    4,655

    I for one

    will have a hard time following Bush unless he performs and radical tranformation of ideologies. I don't expect that to happen, so I, too look forward rather dismally to the next 4 - or 8 - years.

    I am conceeding as well at 1am eastern time that it doesn't look good for Kerry in Ohio - and henceforth hs bid for the presidency - so I am going to bed.

    Another topic of interest:
    In watching the talking heads playing with maps this night, I've seen the division of Republican/Democratic in this nation with a clarity I've never seen it before. It's always been there, but it seems exaggerated tonight. Looking at voting maps of this country, COUNTY by COUNTY, it apears to me that the rural areas are voting Republican, and the urban areas are voting Democratic. Almost without exception.

    Anyone else care to comment on this?

    (and apologies to all the folks up here on this board who aren't a US citizen. It'll be over soon, promise )

    Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit


    Check out the Welcome Thread

    My photography on Myspace

  18. #18
    Erstwhile Vagabond armed with camera Lionheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,110

    Re: I for one

    Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    will have a hard time following Bush unless he performs and radical tranformation of ideologies. I don't expect that to happen, so I, too look forward rather dismally to the next 4 - or 8 - years.

    I am conceeding as well at 1am eastern time that it doesn't look good for Kerry in Ohio - and henceforth hs bid for the presidency - so I am going to bed.

    Another topic of interest:
    In watching the talking heads playing with maps this night, I've seen the division of Republican/Democratic in this nation with a clarity I've never seen it before. It's always been there, but it seems exaggerated tonight. Looking at voting maps of this country, COUNTY by COUNTY, it apears to me that the rural areas are voting Republican, and the urban areas are voting Democratic. Almost without exception.

    Anyone else care to comment on this?

    (and apologies to all the folks up here on this board who aren't a US citizen. It'll be over soon, promise )

    Rick
    Yes, I too noticed the pattern when I looked at each state broken up by county. I live in the extremely rural foothills of the Sierras, where the atmosphere is very strongly Republican. I am a Democrat in a sea of Republicans here, but I've more or less become accustomed to being branded a communist and liberal, among other things. I just don't understand why the mindset of the Reps here is so closed, so black and white, when many of the issues at stake are anything but black and white. It almost feels like the racial prejudice I grew up with being ethnically Asian in a predominantly redneck lower middleclass neighborhood.
    Last edited by Lionheart; 11-02-2004 at 11:48 PM.
    Seek the Son and the shadows fall behind you.

    slowly inching to 2000

    Mac's Rule, Windblows drools
    Friends don't let Friends use WindBlows XPee
    <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/schrackman/clover.jpg">Lionheart O'Canon Feel Free to Help

  19. #19
    Liz
    Liz is offline
    Moderator Emeritus Liz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,983

    Talking Hooray for the Right to Vote!

    Hooray for Freedom.

    God bless America!

    Liz

  20. #20
    Hardcore...Nikon Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Newport, NC
    Posts
    4,319

    Making choices, even the wrong ones,

    Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    with Megan and others in that I am elated to see so much turn-out for this election! There's been an electricity in the Democractic groups I've been in this year and if the same is true of Republican groups I think this election will see the highest turnout in years! That is more exciting to me at the moment than who wins. I'm watching CNN etc. and 2-3 hours AFTER the polls closed in Florida and Ohio, there still lines going around the buildings with people waiting to get in to vote.

    How you can not love that?!

    I heard a story on the radio today about a woman in line to vote who at 65 years of age had never voted in an election. She felt called to vote for the first time in her life because she felt this was a very important election. I think most other Americans believe that, too.

    BTW I didn't mean for this poll to be deterministic, but just for entertainment purposes So let's all laugh!

    I think the important thing here is more people are voting (hopefully), which means more people are engaging the machinery of this democractic process. When more people are making choices, accountability goes up. The decisions that are made with regards to our government are being made by more and more of the populace, so responsibility is increased. If we vote-in a bad president, more people are forced to say "I did that!" and the magic of "choice" becomes apparent in our lives. Apathy disappears, accuontability increases and most importantly, we learn from having made a choice. Sitting on the couch is not making a choice, insofar as you have not chosen one candidate or the other. Without making a choice, one loses the ability to see how reality works. Making choices, even the wrong ones, we're engaging the process of life and the next time around we'll be better inclined to choice wisely. But without ever having reached out, without ever having tried we cannot say that we've learned. In this, I see this election as a good thing

    Just my thoughts. Feel free to take as you will.

    Rick
    How very true. I once heard of a father passing the business to his son.
    He told him, "Make good decisions".
    The son asked, "How do you make good decisions?"
    Father, "Experience."
    Son, "How do you get experience?"
    Father, "By making bad decisions."

    If you learn from your mistakes, then all is not lost.

    I agree with you that more people engaging in the democratic process is a very good thing. Right, wrong, or otherwise, we're gaining experience.
    Nikon Samurai # 1


    http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

    http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

    "Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

  21. #21
    Hardcore...Nikon Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Newport, NC
    Posts
    4,319

    COUNTY by COUNTY

    "it apears to me that the rural areas are voting Republican, and the urban areas are voting Democratic. Almost without exception."

    Nothing new there my friend. In fact, if you saw the red and blue states after the 2000 elections, you saw the much the same thing. Your highly populated, heavily industrialized states went for Gore, while the more rural, agriculturial states went for Bush. That's a general statement mind you, but it holds true for the most part. Interesting demographic though.

    Remember, I'm old, (ancient compared to you), and I've been voting since 1980 (before some of you were born!) As your signature line used to read "I"ve been around the block a time or two". Just an old guy putting in his two cents worth.

    ;-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1


    http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

    http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

    "Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

  22. #22
    Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,972

    Smile Re: Hooray for the Right to Vote!

    Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Hooray for Freedom.

    God bless America!

    Liz

    Well said Liz!
    It's a beautiful thing isn't.
    The right to vote for whom ever you please!
    God Bless America!

    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

    A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety... - Ansel Adams

    "Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

  23. #23
    Member yaronsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    81

    Re: The country is 50/50

    This election has put a bit of a dent in JFK's famous statement about fooling people. The Bush machine has succeeded in making this election more about cultural values, more about Gay Civil Unions and abortion, than about salient issues like Iraq, security, and the economy. The Kerry camp, meanwhile, ran a lousy, wimpy campaign.

    It was an uphill battle ever since Kerry was shoved down our (Democrats') throats as our candidate by so-called Democrats in conservative Republican states, with the help of mainstream right-wing media. The primaries were effectively over before Super Tuesday. Kerry was quite a gift to Bush, with his liberal Senate record on one hand, and his obvious intent to run *from* that record rather than *on* that record on the other hand, as well as his intent to try to run a "nice" campaign. On the flipside, the Republican Party, true to form, ran a nasty, vicious campaign, full of glib lies and attempts at character assasinations. There are few leaders in the Western world who lie as glibly as the current Republican leadership. Even Clinton couldn't lie much without weaving a very tangled web for himself.

    Team Bush will now think they have a carte blanche. I said this four years ago, and I say this again with increased gravity: God help us - brace yourselves for the next four years. To mangle Louis XIV's soundbite: Apres demain, le deluge.

    Sorry, I've been holding my tongue since Super Tuesday in the interest of a unified Democratic front.

    The US needs to move to a provincial system. It is ridiculous for the Deep South and Midwest to be making social policy for us in New England, for example. But until we get there, maybe it's time for me to advocate for states' rights. I can't believe I'm saying this, but maybe the Libertarians got it right on this particular issue.

    By the way, regarding elections before 2000 in which the popular vs. electoral results didn't jive, I'd think there are at least a couple of people here who may remember Kennedy vs. Nixon...
    Last edited by yaronsh; 11-03-2004 at 09:39 AM. Reason: extra carriage returns

  24. #24
    Princess of the OT adina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    rockin' it in the D
    Posts
    3,853

    Re: The country is 50/50

    On the plus side, Bush only has 4 more years, and won't be able to run for re-election
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    211

    Re: The country is 50/50

    Isn't there a brother in Florida that will be available to keep the royal family line going?
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Classic country
    By >JJ< in forum Photo Critique
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-09-2004, 12:13 AM
  2. Country Home
    By Old Timer in forum Photo Critique
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-08-2004, 05:47 PM
  3. 50/50
    By picjunk in forum Photo Critique
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-05-2004, 05:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •