ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

This concerns everyone here....

SIGN HERE: http://www.pictureny.org/petition/index.php

Inform yourself here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/html/ne...it_rules.shtml

Take Action Here:
    The Mayor's office in New York City is seeking to instate a new rule that would require permits and proof of insurance for any group of 2 or more persons using a camera in a public area. The regulations would require that anyone using a tripod or shooting in one location for more than 30 minutes (including set-up and break down time) must obtain permits and show proof of insurance of at least 1 million dollars per occurrence. Read more about the new rules here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/html/ne...it_rules.shtml

We all need to act now to fight these proposed regulations which will place absurd restrictions on the freedom to photograph in New York City's public spaces.

This affects not only professional photographers but the First Amendment rights of anyone with a camera to spontaneously document what happens on the streets of this city.

Due to pressure from advocacy groups, the Mayor's Office has agreed to extend the period that it will allow public commentary until August 3rd.

Picture New York has initiated an online petition opposing the new rules, which over 12,000 indidivuals have signed so far. The petition is closing on August 3rd. Please take a moment to sign if you have not already done so.

Link to the petition: http://www.pictureny.org/petition/index.php

You can also voice your concerns directly to:

Julianne Cho
    Associate Commissioner
    Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre & Broadcasting
    1697 Broadway
    New York, NY 10019

jcho@film.nyc.gov
    ph: 212.489.6710
    fax: 212.307.6237

Thanks for your attention and please continue to spread the word about this important matter!

********** PLEASE RE-POST -- FRIDAY AUGUST 3 IS THE DEADLINE **********

http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Re: This concerns everyone here....

Thanks, Janie. I wrote a long reply and it got lost. Gotta love that. You'd think it would have more respect for me.

Signed the petition and will do my part to distribute it and and encourage others to sign.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

I went to sign the petition and the link took me to a myspace page, is that the proper place?
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Quote Originally Posted by Janie
    MJS - I had the same thing with the link at the top. Use this one and you'll be taken right to the page. I'm in!

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Thanks, I'm on there and will send the link to all of my students.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Well, thats so weird that it went to myspace, but then again, my internet connection is so flaky its doing all kinds of wacky things! lol I had a few people saying they've had this law on the books for years - but they are actually adding too it. What concerns me is that they could add to it a little bit each year until it's impossible to whip out a camera in NYC or anywhere else for that matter, without a permit. I already had a few probs, just doing a silly little band shoot all over the city - it was pretty impromptu and informal and it was a barter shoot (very new no-name band). It just seems that applying for permits and insurance for little things like this is crazy. At least i'm insured via PPA, but still!
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Not to seem unsympathetic, but...

...what you describe is pretty much already the law in many major US cities.

Not only that, but the $1 million insurance rider has been the standard in Miami for about 20 years. It's the cost of doing business...

IMO, I see nothing unreasonable about requiring a shooting permit for an "organized" shoot, which is what this is obviously targeting.

Fair or not, the police in Miami Beach have long used the rule of "tripod and someone with you" to determine (in their eyes) whether you are doing a "pro" shoot or not on public property. FWIW, that's the way it is in Chicago, too.

It's pretty standard...

And (again, MO) if you are indeed with a model and using equipment, and spending more than 30 minutes in one spot, to me that absolutely constitutes a pro-type shoot, and you should have to get a permit.

I don't see this as targeting the casual, amateur, or tourist shooter at all.

Like in most other cities, the key here is to learn guerilla tactics, where you keep a low profile, do not cart a tripod around, and most of all do not linger in one spot shooting.

That's how we've always gotten around permits...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Update: Seems like a temporary win for common sense.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/04/ny...prod=permalink

“We appreciate the feedback and collaboration of the production community in the city and look forward to revising our proposal.”

How about that for industrial grade BS, eh?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Thanks for the update, SW. This is pretty much the point I was trying to make.

I truly believe the city was not targeting the average tourist or amateur shooter with this proposal:

"City officials at first staunchly defended the draft regulations when they were released for comment in May, saying that they were intended to set standards for professionals and that there were few if any instances in which casual photographers or filmmakers would be affected..."

As I said, the basic conditions and requirements for a film permit were very much in line with just about any larger city (and many smaller ones). It's just that aparently the wording could be applied a little too broadly. Funny, that whole situation with the birders never occured to me!

So, it is good to see they have enough sense to make some changes.

BTW, it should come as no surprise that, for some cities, the whole permit thing is set up to be a money-maker. But that is not always the case.

Shooting permits in Miami Beach, at least the last time I was down there, are free...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thread Information