ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

A complete amateur lens set... what is "essential"

I am still wanting to pick up some more lenses, but not sure what. I know I want to always be getting "better" stuff, but my checking account doesn't always agree. So, I'd like to maybe just think of filling the holes in my lens arsenal with things to compliment it. So, here's what I have

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6

Sigma EX 105mm Macro f/2.8

Tamron XR 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3

None are great, but they're decent. What would the next step be for an enthusiastic amateur who wants to upgrade to a lense? I usually use the Tamron as my everyday lense, but maybe a faster lense with a shorter focal length would suit me better?

What do you guys think? What would be my next lense step?
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

If money is an issue...

And you want to get a good, sharp Prime lens instead of another zoom, go with the Canon 50mm (I think it's a f1.8). They are great lenses and they are pretty inexpensive, around $100 brand new.

A good wide angle prime might be an option as well.. Something in the 15mm to 20mm range, or maybe even a fisheye...

I'm interested in seeing what the others have to say.
    ~Brian

Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

Erstwhile Vagabond armed with camera Lionheart's Avatar

I agree with Kokopeli, get some primes,but watch how much

you actually spend over the long haul on "inexpensive" lenses. Get the 50mm f1.8. Try to find a used older one (the kind with a metal mount-not the cheesy polycarbonate fiber crap that they make the new 50mm from). It is exceptionally sharp and quite versatile, fast, but noisy (although fifteen years ago I thought the sound of an autofocus lens whirring was pretty cool). You'll have move a lot to get the right angle and perspective, but that's not a bad thing, as it develops your "camera's eye". Look in the used shelves of camera shops too. You might find some bargains there. I found a 135 f2.8 SF lens for $99 in mint condition on the used shelves once. At some point you need to ask yourself what level of quality is acceptable and for what price level. I spent a lot of money on less expensive Tamron lenses and Canon consumer zooms and was never completely happy with the image sharpness and quality (yes I shot stopped down, with a tripod whenever necessary and or convenient, on slide film ISO 25 to 100). I even upgraded my camera bodies to the point where I finally splurged on an EOS-1V HS. At that point I came to realize I could already have purchased a pro "L" lens, with all I had spent on lesser lenses.

Thread Information