ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

In The Clear Light Of Day

My town Croydon was hit by the riots that have spread over London. Last night many buildings were in flames and one man was shot dead.
    These are some pictures I took this morning as I walked through the town (at least where I was allowed to go)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails In The Clear Light Of Day-croy1.jpg   In The Clear Light Of Day-croy4.jpg   In The Clear Light Of Day-croy10.jpg   In The Clear Light Of Day-croy13.jpg   In The Clear Light Of Day-croy17.jpg  

http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Liz

Re: In The Clear Light Of Day

Your real-life photos are powerful - and very sad I must say. I hope you are safe where you are, and please be careful. Does it look like the situation will improve any since all the police have been called in (according to US news reports).

Thank you for posting these shots. It is a good (and personal) reminder for me to pray for you and everyone over there.

Liz

impressive photos, be careful ! , that is more like war images

why riot and burn houses ? I can't understand

is it know why the riots started ?

my insurance does not cover damages in riots, is it the same over there ?

Wow. That is some heavy imagery. You have a good eye for contrast and that makes these photos that much stronger. The one with the flowers in the foreground is especially strong, as is the one of the burnt our row houses. It's ironic that this photo opportunity only comes in the midst of tragedy and pain - the pain that caused the riots and the pain of people who have suffered the loss of their homes and businesses.

Thanks so much for sharing with us. Please share more if and when you have them. And be careful. I'm on Twitter all day and I've been seeing no shortage of reports of photographers being beaten by rioters. That said, this is (hopefully) a once in a lifetime photo opportunity and you should take advantage of it. That's what we photographers do.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I posted a link for this thread on the PhotographyREVIEW.com Facebook page. This is big news now and most of the photos I've seen were taken last night, during the riots. I hope things are safer for you tonight. I just realized that evening is coming on for you right about now.
    Photo-John

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

We learned this evening that there was disturbance in Oxford too, the McDonalds on the ring road in Headington was attacked. Why?
    I'll see if I can get some photos before going off to work, the jet lag may get me up really early in the morning - or really late

The irony of that "cleaner & greener" placard is that the local councils (I used to work in Bromley the "clean & green" nearby) used that as part of the image generation for the outer London suburbs where this took place. I'm glad that none of our friends are affected, so far.

BBC TV carried some text messages about gangs going down to riot and steal, apparently just for the fun of it and free stuff.

Some of our police from Oxford are being drafted in to reinforce the London forces.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thanks everyone.
    Thankfully London was pretty quiet last night. Unfortunately, however, the trouble spread northwards to the midlands and other towns.
    Here are some more from the aftermath in Croydon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails In The Clear Light Of Day-croy2.jpg   In The Clear Light Of Day-croy6.jpg   In The Clear Light Of Day-croy7.jpg   In The Clear Light Of Day-croy12.jpg   In The Clear Light Of Day-croy14.jpg  

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Very powerful images depicting a troubled situation that defies logic.
    Thank you for sharing, and above all, stay safe !!
    Randy, Gear - 3 in the green, with a T2i and some lenses !

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Heavy and Powerful indeed. Thanks for sharing, and keep safe!
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

I'm glad things were safer in your town last night. Let's hope things calm down and whatever the root problems behind the riots can start to be addressed.

That photo of the mannequin arm sticking out from under the steel door is a strong one. Good eye on that.
    Photo-John

Liz

Thank you for sharing this experience with us. It makes it personal - and reminds us this is happening now......and it's for real.

That last image made an impact on me. One lone policeman looking over the desolation along with the (inactive) camera/tripod standing beside him.

All of your images are outstanding. I hope the situation is more under control. Please be careful.

Liz

I'm so very sorry, such beautiful old buildings just destroyed. I just think of England as so civilized...this looks more like something that would happen here in the U.S. (sad to say). The stand out pic for me was the mannikin arm laying in the broken glass. Stay safe and out of danger...

Thanks everyone for looking and expressing your concerns. I live out in the suburbs so was well away from it all.
    Armando: a man was shot dead by police in North London. A small peaceful protest turned into a violent one and this seems to have triggered riots London and elsewhere. But it all runs much deeper than that; the fact that the country is governed by idiots, who are totally detached from reality, does not help.

It must be time for a glass of red and bed!!!

And the idiots that are running this country are heading us right that way. Started with LBJ and "the Great Society" and london shows where we are headed and I don't know if there is a way to stop it.
    The world is full of people who can hear a loud bang, feel a sharp pain in their foot, notice smoke trickling from their holster........ And never put it all together.

Canon EOS Rebel XT DSLR; Canon EOS Rebel K2 35 mm SLR, Canon Powershot S5IS Compact; Canon Photura 35 mm P&S (Definitely not compact. Probably the best 35 P&S ever)

Thread Information