ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cicadas

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Cicadas

For those of you aren't blessed with these... creatures, I thought I'd post a few shots of what the entire DC area is being inundated with right now. They scream, they fly around, crash into your windshield, shed themselves on your house, trees, car, whatever. They are grody. Rumor has it this is the year that the 17-year and the 13-year cicada are synchronised. How lucky for us.

These are shots of their shells, after they crawl up out of the ground and turn into flying aliens. They look pretty creepy live - I'll try to get a few of those, too.

Anyone else going through the joy of Cicadaville with me, please feel free to post in here too.

1.) Our trees looks like this.
    2. Our flowers look like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cicadas-cicadas1.jpg   Cicadas-cicadas2.jpg  
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar
    Ick! I just read an article about a man who got sick from eating these things, and there are cookbooks on how to cook these. How can anyone eat these things?

Don't know, but...

I have several friends whose dogs are getting sick from eating them (20-30 at a time!)
    Walter Rick Long

It's hurricane season... again...
    Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    I have several friends whose dogs are getting sick from eating them (20-30 at a time!)
    eww eww eww! How big are these things? I don't think we get them down here. (or should I say, I HOPE we don't get them down here!)
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

I echo Kristen and Tiffany .........ewwwwwwww and Ick!!! I'll add another "Gag" Why would anyone want to eat bugs? Now I'm not hungry for my breakfast an more

How long do they stay around?
    Lara

Size and duration

Kristen: they're about an inch and half long. I really wanna shoot a live one - they're just... so... WEIRD.

Super-Lara: I don't know how long they're supposed to last. The amount of time between the first one I saw and their media-described "peak" was only about 3 days. So maybe they're on their way out...

We'll be mowing over and sweeping up Cicada shells for weeks though
    Give John a big kiss for me. ;)
    Walter Rick Long

"Give John a big kiss for me."

LOL Rick, I would but, check out my location. Over 2700 miles, as the crow flies,is a little to far to do that. But it doesn't prevent me from bugging (pun intended) John when PR members have an issue with the site.

I have this vision of a huge vacuum cleaning up the streets. Hey, someone should start up a business... "Cicada sucker uppers" Although every 17 years is a long time to wait for the next job, heh.
    Lara

Liz

Angry Destruction in their path.........

I haven't seen any this year (thank goodness). My memories of these ugly creatures are that they destroyed so many trees when I lived in a suburban area. You could hear them at night eating the leaves. It used to keep me awake because I knew they were destroying the trees. By the time they left, most of the leaves on the huge gorgeous trees on our road were dead. I wonder why they're not around here this year (fingers crossed, with a little prayer). And no, I don't miss them!

Liz

1.) Our trees looks like this.
    2. Our flowers look like this.[/QUOTE]

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Tent caterpillars

I remember a BIG tent caterpillar infestation when I was a teen. I lived in East Fishkill, NY, and was surrounded by the beautiful Adirondack mountains [quiet, there, all you West Coast folks. Our mountains are older and worn down ]. All you could see for miles was brown trees with white tents in them - patches of devastation from miles away. Poor, bald mountains. Nature is an amazing force, eh?

Megan

my first and only fight

was started by one of these...disgusting/creepy/make your skin crawl/the hairs on your neck stand on end--- as icky as they may be I couldn't watch on as people picked them up and plucked their eyes out to watch them fly around and into things. .
    .... so after warning a close friend and football player not to be sadistic...little ole me (at the time I was a freshman 5'4 and 120lbs) jumped on his back and went ghetto on him and punched him in the eye in the process...we remained friends and he became a cicada saving advocate....and swore that touching cicadas were dangerous to your health( well at least if I was around)

sometimes you gotta be a little pro active to get the point across

Positive note: I no longer solve problems that way

I have a strange sort of compassion for these guys...I think that if I slept for seventeen years it would sorta suck to wake up to things plucking off your wings and stepping on you just cuz you woke up to get a little action-procreate and go back to bed....

think about it...

Good pics Rick
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

They call me Andy... ACArmstrong's Avatar

Oh yeah...

These buggers are everywhere! I shot this a couple of weeks ago - this is the fully hatched version.

It's over in the Photo Project Gallery - ya know - the place where no one looks! ;) LOL
    Andy Armstrong
    Please visit my photography site - Andy Armstrong Photography

Ma

I didn't realize you're in MAssachusetts...cool.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Live Sucker...

This one landed, and before Jack (little boy) stepped on it I took this picture. Using a 16-35 doesn't lead to good macro shots, but I cropped it.

Loren
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Yes Natalie I'm very close to you. I was waiting for you to notice lol. Your Cicada story cracked me up for sure! But I have absolutely no sympathy for them, bleck :P

Loren, Andy ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww That's one scary bug! Great photos, but YUCK!
    Lara

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

East FISHKILL, eh?

Megan,

My, what a beautiful sounding town to live in. NOT...

I thought when you mentioned Fishkill that maybe it was near the East River. I seem to remember seeing a lot of dead fish floating there. Not to be nosey, but how did you manage ot make your way down from upstate NY to Da Bronx?

BTW, was E. Fishkill anywhere near Schroon Lake? My dad took us up there a couple of summers when I was a kid. I loved it...

Keep your Rockies and your Sierra Nevadas, I always had a thing for the Adirondacks...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Me either!

I thought you were sitting upstairs in Consumerreview.comland in San Jose.

I am coming through that part of the world in June. Check the Boston mini-thread and I would love to have you meet with us!
    Walter Rick Long

Good shots guys!

I wanna get one of them before they leave.

Did I mention these things are loud?! I have to raise my voice to talk to people when I'm outside. They sound like screaming, tortured people sometimes.
    Walter Rick Long

genetics gone wrong

You just have to feel for them...a face only a mother could love
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

And they say women are loud

and talk a lot

ALL the noise is from the males looking for chicks( or would that be cics - HA get it??
    I crack myself up!)...I guess they aren't so different from humans...
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    I thought you were sitting upstairs in Consumerreview.comland in San Jose.

I am coming through that part of the world in June. Check the Boston mini-thread and I would love to have you meet with us!
    Thanks Rick..I would have loved to meet you guys. Unfortunately I can't make it for the mini gathering in June.

BTW, The office isn't in San Jose any more. Hasn't been for a long time It is in the San Francisco area, Foster City.
    Lara

[QUOTE=Asylum Steve]Megan,

My, what a beautiful sounding town to live in. NOT... QUOTE]

kill = Dutch for stream. The area I lived in was an early Dutch settlement, and has many odd-sounding names - many Dutch names and many Indian names i.e. Fishkill, Walkill, Poestenkill, Van Wyck, Wappingers; Poughkeepsie, Poughquag, etc.etc. It actually was a beautiful area to grow up in - I lived in exurbia, and was close to many farms. I'ts gotten a lot more "developed" since. Actually, I lived in the area of Gayhead in the Hamlet of Hopewell Junction in the town of East Fishkill. Have fun with those

I've heard of Schroon lake, I'm not sure where it is - I'm thinking it's a bit more upstate, like in Rensallaer [another Dutch name] in that lake district where my gramma lived - a lot of lakes, a lot of summer houses.

Megan

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain
    Hey watch it bub!

That's right there's not one, but two PR members from East Fishkill, NY. Now I live farther north and on the other side of the Hudson River in Kingston, which is NY State's original capital. Schroon Lake is even farther north - a little past Albany.

Danielle

Aha! I was right - sort of.

I thought Schroon Lake was in the Albany area! I just didn't think it was that far north. Must be closer to Lake George.

Megan

Correction

I believe the surrounding mountains were part of the Appalachians, not the Adirondacks.

mg

women ARE loud...

and you all do talk a lot. But something got screwed up in the evolution scheme, see, cuz in the rest of nature we're the pretty ones and you all are ugly now with humn beings, it's the other way around
    Walter Rick Long

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information