ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Chunk: Alive and Well

Some of you may have missed Chunk the last week or so. He has been on the road on his beloved motorcycle. He PM'ed me the end of last week and said he would be in my country sometime this week could we get together for coffee. Well of course I jumped at the chance to meet another PR'er. Yesterday he drove about three hours out of his way just to drop in and say hi and shake my hand. I know that some of you have met him at gatherings but this was my first time and it was a real pleasure. He is a real gentleman and pleasure to know. I was thrilled that he would make such an effort to drop by my out of the way outpost. He rolled in on his motorcycle just after noon and brightened up my office with his easy manner and good humor. We learned a lot about each other, shared a meal at a local deli and exchange a print in true PR fashion. I'm sorry that our visit was so short, but I encourage anyone who has a chance to get to know Chunk on a more personal level. And to ChunK I say thanks for the effort and the print it was a pleasure.

I did get a couple of pictures as he prepared to leave, I know he isn't a people photographer and hope he doesn't mind me sharing them with the rest of his friends.

Larry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chunk:  Alive and Well-dsc_0937-2.jpg   Chunk:  Alive and Well-dsc_0935.jpg   Chunk:  Alive and Well-dsc_0939.jpg  
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Re: Chunk: Alive and Well

What a nice post Larry! These are great photos of someone who I truly would love to meet one day. I'm glad you got to meet Chunk yourself. Photo #1 is my fav.
    Lara

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Thanks for the update OT! I was just thinking this morning that I hadn't seen Chunk around the forums for a while. It's good to know hes out in the wind enjoying his retirement. I have had the pleasure of meeting Chunk a couple of times now, and even purchased his old dark room equipment from him. Everything you said about him is absolutly true! Thanks again for the update.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Chunk's da man...

Having spent time with him at last year's Chicago Gathering, I can echo everything you said, OT.

Nice to see you made the connection...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

OT- Glad you got to meet Chunk! Great pics!
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Chunk's a great guy! He was nice enough to pick me up (a guy he'd never met before) on his way to Chicago last year, and even stop at the airport so we could pick up Natalie. Glad you got to meet him - and that he's enjoying some miles on the bike.

Chunk, I was about to send you a PM about the Chicago gathering this year because I haven't seen you around much lately (I can understand!). Hope you're able to make it.

Liz

Cool Re: Chunk: Alive and Well

What a delightful surprise! Hey there Chunk! Glad to "see" you. Now I feel I know you a little better already, between the pics and Old Timer's great post.

It's great you guys met. We should do this more often - meet individually - small groups - one on one. It's great to get together with fellow-PR members. I know from the NYC gatherings (small but great), and from going to the Bronx Zoo with Joe Mags, his wife and baby - and from walking around Manhatten one morning with Charles Hess. Great fun times.

Thanks OT.....

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Some of you may have missed Chunk the last week or so. He has been on the road on his beloved motorcycle. He PM'ed me the end of last week and said he would be in my country sometime this week could we get together for coffee. Well of course I jumped at the chance to meet another PR'er. Yesterday he drove about three hours out of his way just to drop in and say hi and shake my hand. I know that some of you have met him at gatherings but this was my first time and it was a real pleasure. He is a real gentleman and pleasure to know. I was thrilled that he would make such an effort to drop by my out of the way outpost. He rolled in on his motorcycle just after noon and brightened up my office with his easy manner and good humor. We learned a lot about each other, shared a meal at a local deli and exchange a print in true PR fashion. I'm sorry that our visit was so short, but I encourage anyone who has a chance to get to know Chunk on a more personal level. And to ChunK I say thanks for the effort and the print it was a pleasure.

I did get a couple of pictures as he prepared to leave, I know he isn't a people photographer and hope he doesn't mind me sharing them with the rest of his friends.

Larry

You've really captured Chunk's personality in these shots, OT. I think you know that. Especially in the first picture, you see Chunk's gentleness and keen interest in his eyes. Chunk's a great guy and I'm glad I got to know him in Chicago. And his ability to see and capture patterns is amazing to me!
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Thumbs up So That's What He Looks Like!

Not at all what I expected.

Great to get to see what he looks like.

Nice bike he's riding too!

Glad you got to meet him. I'm looking forward to meeting some of the folks from PR in person.

Thanks for the update and the photo's Larry.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Chunk was just how I had envisioned him. His post are always positive and encouraging, I knew I would like him well before we met. My meeting with him has really got me wanting to make a gathering and meet more of the people that I know only thorough their post here on PR. Glad you guys like the pictures of Chunk, I just hope he likes them as well.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thanks Larry. The pics are pretty good considering what you had to work with.
    Meeting you has been one of the highlights of the trip and well worth the ride through beautiful Kentucky scenery. I really enjoyed the gift of that Kentucky sunflower as well.

Speed, I'm staying at the Kickstand lodge in Stecoah, NC for a couple days if you want to hope on the bike.

Steve, I'm going to try to make that Chicago gathering again, sure enjoyed the last one.
    ----------------------------

Cool Speed, I'm staying at the Kickstand lodge in Stecoah, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    Thanks Larry. The pics are pretty good considering what you had to work with.
    Meeting you has been one of the highlights of the trip and well worth the ride through beautiful Kentucky scenery. I really enjoyed the gift of that Kentucky sunflower as well.

Speed, I'm staying at the Kickstand lodge in Stecoah, NC for a couple days if you want to hope on the bike.

Steve, I'm going to try to make that Chicago gathering again, sure enjoyed the last one.

Hey Chunk,

Thanks for the invitation!

I'm on the coast, so as near as I can figure, Stecoah is about 12 hours away. And the weather is suppose to be rain for the next five days. I think I'm going to pass.

Take your time getting there - maybe the rain will have moved on by the time you get there.

Enjoy your ride, and be safe!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information