ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Ghost

Panoramic Photography

There have been a few posts recently about panoramic photography. I've been experimenting with it for the last few months but have only gotten serious about it recently. I don't have anything nice to share yet but promise that I will soon. The example you see here is a full 360 degree image. If I had a web-site anymore I'd show you the version that you can use qucktime to view in QTVR form which is a lot of fun.

I've finally calibrated my setup and created a workflow that's semi-autmated so now I can start focusing on just the fun stuff and find some good panoramic opportunities. My interest isn't just 360 spherical panos but also large regular stiched images.

Is there anyone else here that can offer tips for developing the "panoramic eye" so that I can better visualise beforehand? It's more difficult to visualize than I thought but the more I do the more I'm able to see that way.

Here's my kichen that was used to finally calibrate my setup. There are flaws I didn't bother correcting as I didn't real care about this image in particular but a few hours of PS work would fix them up just fine. You'll probably have a hard time seeing them in this resized version. The original is 6444 x 3222 pixels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Panoramic Photography-final.jpg  

Obsessive-compulsive... Steph_B's Avatar

Re: Panoramic Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Ash
    Is there anyone else here that can offer tips for developing the "panoramic eye" so that I can better visualise beforehand? It's more difficult to visualize than I thought but the more I do the more I'm able to see that way.
    Yep... herein lies the difficulty...

Personally, I found that it helps to 'analyze' the situation rigourously:
    - what is the subject?
    - is a pano the best way? (the lack of vertical depth is sometime a problem)
    - Is my choice of lens appropriate for the subject?
    - is my exposure fine in order not to underexpose or overexpose the subject (don't forget you have to keep the same exposure for all the frames, hence if your subject is quite off-center you have to make sure that the dynamic range of the whole scene is well defined/bounded and that your subject is medium tone)

Looking forward to see more of your experiments!

Wide Angle Lens...

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Ash
    There have been a few posts recently about panoramic photography. I've been experimenting with it for the last few months but have only gotten serious about it recently. I don't have anything nice to share yet but promise that I will soon. The example you see here is a full 360 degree image. If I had a web-site anymore I'd show you the version that you can use qucktime to view in QTVR form which is a lot of fun.

I've finally calibrated my setup and created a workflow that's semi-autmated so now I can start focusing on just the fun stuff and find some good panoramic opportunities. My interest isn't just 360 spherical panos but also large regular stiched images.

Here's my kichen that was used to finally calibrate my setup. There are flaws I didn't bother correcting as I didn't real care about this image in particular but a few hours of PS work would fix them up just fine. You'll probably have a hard time seeing them in this resized version. The original is 6444 x 3222 pixels.
    Brings a whole new dimension into pano's - distortion!

My first pano was stitched together shots taken at 28mm - which was a disaster.

You seem to have had much better sucess dealing with it than I did. I'm going to try my 50mm for my next pano experiment!

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing more of these.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information