ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Standing at the pearly gates?

I went to a wedding this weekend and got to have greta fun taking pics...I was there to do the cake with the bride's sister a really good friend of mine(she baked , I decorated)---

. The three little angels are my friend's daughters....it was a beautiful wedding and every detail was looked after. The bride is a wedding phtographer and she had quite a vision for her day... I was fortunate to be able to take pics for fun and found that there are better photo ops when one is NOT getting paid...below is my favorite shot of the day and some others....funny part is I didn't think I would have time to take pics because I was helping with the girls(since mom and dad were part of the wedding party) and so I took about 150 shots on a partially dying battery--- I ran out of battery life JUST as the bride and father stepped out to go down the aisle---ironic but kind of cool...
    ;) Enjoy

BTW there's the cake at the end...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Standing at the pearly gates?-angels.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Re: Standing at the pearly gates?

These are really nice Nat. I agree that it is far more fun and gobs less stressful to be a just the guy with a camera at a wedding than the MAN. You sure captured the mood and feel of the day for these little ladies.

Nat,

Those black & whites are awesome! You and your friend did a great job with the cake.

I hope you don't mind a little critique with the cake. The image looks a bit flat. I have shot dozens of wedding cakes and it never comes out quite right if I shoot the shadow side of a cake into a window. There is too much latitude, the window gets blown out and the cake gets flat.

If you can move the the cake, I would turn it 90 degrees and shoot from the side, into the room. If you can't move it, then I would try fill flash, match the window exposure.

I know that you weren't the main photog and that you may have done these things if you were, but I had a couple minutes and figured that you may be using this for marketing literature.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Platts; 10-19-2004 at 07:43 AM.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Wow!

WOW!
    You did it again!
    GREAT Photos!
    Brian
    The cake doesn't look bad either... ;)
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

*really good job* Natalie!

I like these a lot! I know what you mean about getting the best shots when you're a guest not a pro. The one of the girl with the sky behind her stands out the most.

Toodle-loo

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

I think Degas would have painted the scene where the girls are without wings but relaxing around and waiting - the one with the coffee table.
    These are all nice Nat and the cake is beautiful too.
    Seems to be quite an angel theme in this wedding. Is that becoming more prevalent?

Thnaks for the advice on the lighting for the cake...personally don't want anyone to get interested in cakes since I'm trying to be the photolady rather than the cake lady...and thanks to everyone else(Rick, Oldtimer,and chunk and Brian) on the nice comments...

Chunk---I definitely see what you mean thanks...these little "angels" walking around in tutu reminded me of the same feel of some of Degas' paintings

I loved the opacity of the wings and tulle...and the fact they were all doing there own thing...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar

Nat, I think you did a great job at capturing these little cuties, great lighting, great candid moments...and what a neat Idea for a wedding! I'm sure your friend will be very pleased!
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

Thread Information