Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Standing alone

Standing alone

In the Texas Hill Country a windmill stands guard over a stock tank. Taken in the mid afternoon on a very bright May day. D70 with kit lens and converted to b&w. What are your thoughts on this image?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Standing alone-b-w-wind-mill.jpg  

This is very good, I like it. Nice composition and light, descent conversion to black and white.
    Only two minor things could have improved the image. A tighter crop on the right side of the picture and the top of the stock tank that is not at the same level as the top of the hills in the background.

The example is what I had in mind. Of course, normally you would have changed your camera position to avoid to get the top of the stock tank at the same level as the hills, but in this case I had to use a little trick, resulting in a tank that is too high, but it's just to show you what a difference it would have made.

Thanks for sharing Old Timer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Three thoughts: 1) nice image 2) crop the right side 3) I've seen some wonderful sunset photos with windmills like these in th foreground - it might be something ot think about if you're a sunset guy.

I had looked

Quote Originally Posted by Elysian
    This is very good, I like it. Nice composition and light, descent conversion to black and white.
    Only two minor things could have improved the image. A tighter crop on the right side of the picture and the top of the stock tank that is not at the same level as the top of the hills in the background.

The example is what I had in mind. Of course, normally you would have changed your camera position to avoid to get the top of the stock tank at the same level as the hills, but in this case I had to use a little trick, resulting in a tank that is too high, but it's just to show you what a difference it would have made.

Thanks for sharing Old Timer.
    I had looked at the right crop just failed to make it. The level of the stock tank I had not noticed. I went back to other images that I took at the same time and came up with this one that was shot from a lower position. As for the b&w conversion, I am a work in progress there. Does this image make any inprovements on the first?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Oldtimer,
    This is very good . I like this picture alot, and the b&w is the right choice for this.
    Elysian makes very good points here. I like your last image posted the best for framing and comp, now just get the conversion more to the way you had originally. You have the highlights there, just need to bump up the low end a little more to get some better contrast going. Also, in the last posted image, tilt the pic to the left a bit to straighten the horizon out.
    i like this scene alot, Oldtimer.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

hey there
    the gradiation in the sky and how sharp(nice strong/crisp lines)in the image was was what was appealing to me...the second although improved in composition with the cement thingy(technical photo term ;)) being in a different vantage point...the second lacks the richness in tones and values that the first has...combine the two .. hope that makes sense.
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Thanks Gary...

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Oldtimer,
    This is very good . I like this picture alot, and the b&w is the right choice for this.
    Elysian makes very good points here. I like your last image posted the best for framing and comp, now just get the conversion more to the way you had originally. You have the highlights there, just need to bump up the low end a little more to get some better contrast going. Also, in the last posted image, tilt the pic to the left a bit to straighten the horizon out.
    i like this scene alot, Oldtimer.

Thanks Gary, good suggestions. I did the second very very quickly last night and failed to do some of the basics.

Much better Old Timer, but like Natalie said, try to combine the two, since the last shot is missing some of the strong elements of shot #1, the things that Natalie already mentioned.

Thread Information