ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Canon: Canonet 28

I found a Caonet 28 w/flash and case in an antique store yesterday for $15. I did a little reasearch on the net about it, but I was wondering if anyone here has any experiance with this camera? I love the new technology and my digital camera, but the vintage cameras still peak my interests. Anything you can tell me about it would be great. If it works, is $15 all it's worth?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Canon: Canonet 28

It might be worth a little more than that if everything works properly, but it's not a lottery ticket. I have a GIII QL17 that I bought on ebay in similar condition with replaced foam light seals for about $60 which is about as high as they get. Shoot a roll of film and look for light leaks, it's pretty common among older cameras when the foam starts to break down. Looks like it's in good shape, and with the somewhat rare flash too.

You may have come across informations on the battery - most of these cameras used a mercury battery that's no longer available in the US (fortunately). Wein makes a zinc-air battery that's a close match although somewhat expensive. Other batteries can be used but might not match the voltage - if it's not right your meter readings could be wrong.

Thanks for the info. This isn't the actual camera that I found, this is a pic I found on the net. Also the info I found on the net said that he replaced the battery with a hearing aid battery. I wasn't able to check the foam in the one that I found because I couldn't get it out of the leather case. I din't have a lot of time and didn't want to break it trying to figure it out. I'm sure if I bought it, it would end up sitting and never being used, so I think I will just leave it for someone else to deal with... then again, you never know what I might end up doing. Thanks for the info.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Canonet Reviews

There are a bunch of Canonet reviews in the reviews here. Those cameras have some pretty dedicated fans. I used to want one, myself.

Rangefinder Reviews >>
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Canonet Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    There are a bunch of Canonet reviews in the reviews here. Those cameras have some pretty dedicated fans. I used to want one, myself.

Rangefinder Reviews >>

Thanks for the link PJ! As always, You da man!

Michael
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

I have the GIII3 QL-17 which is similar. I haven't used it much but it takes nice sharp photos especially stopped down a little, and the meter is accurate on mine. I picked up some of the mercury batteries a few years ago which also fits a Leica meter I have.

Most of the cameras from this era have light seal problems. The glue they used sometimes cause the foam seals to turn to mush after a period of time. Open the back and feel the foam if it is mushy the seals should be replaced but still might hold the light. Shoot a test roll. I replaced the seals in mine. It is very easy takes a few minutes. Check the internet there are a few different ways. I picked up some seals on ebay for around $10 or so. Your camera is probably worth between what you paid and possibly $75 or so if it is working perfectly with a clear viewfinder.

"When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

Thread Information