ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Canon AE-1 any konw about it

someone gave me a Canon AE-1. It's old, like early 80's. anyone know how to use it. I was think of useing it for black & white. but it needs lens and I have a few nikon ones. so should I use or sell it.
    e-mail me if you want me to shot you around the bend area

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I have an AE-1

Quote Originally Posted by Bend's_X_sport_shooter
    someone gave me a Canon AE-1. It's old, like early 80's. anyone know how to use it. I was think of useing it for black & white. but it needs lens and I have a few nikon ones. so should I use or sell it.

I have a Canon AE-1 that I bought over a year and a half ago on eBay. I just finished my 3rd roll of fill with it this week. I know it's not much to go by, but I love the camera. I always used my Rebel G because I was affraid I would miss a shot because I didn't take the time to learn how to use it. I'm changing that now tho and I will be using it much more often. These things are built to last from what I have heard. They are an aperture priority camera. Which means that if you select the AE setting on the lens, the camera will automatically adjust the aperture based on the shutter speed that you select. They are manual focus and take the Canon FL lens which you can find on eBay, as far as I know, your Nikon glass will not work on it. Along with setting the shutter speed, you also have to select the speed of the film you are using. Once you sit down and figure it out, it's really simple to use. I would recomend getting a lens or two for it and keeping it. Also, if you don't have the manuals for it, you can find those on eBay for around $5-$10. I would recomend those as well. The AE-1 has been know to have the "Canon shutter squeek" which could be a problem, but I couldn't begin to tell you what it sounds like since I have never heard it. I would recomend taking it to a local camera shop and have it looked over before making any lens purchases for it. If it checks out ok, I would definetly keep it and use it. My only regret with my AE-1 is that I didn't take the time to figure it out a year and a half ago.

Hope this helps.
    Michael
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Actually, you can fit Nikon FD lenses on it with an adapter. I think I still have mine. I used to use my AE-1's with a Nikkor 105mm.

I loved my AE-1 and did all my wedding photography with them for a few years. I still have 2 bodies, and some lenses (including an 85mm F1.8, which was the sharpest peice of glass I've seen)

You can use Canon FL lenses but the FD lenses are the ones you will want to buy. You can find many of these on ebay, one of my favorites is the 50mm 1.4 ssc. I bought my AE-1 back in the late 70's and still have it, I haven't been using it much lately but I'll never sell it. Here is a link where you can find the manual online.

http://www.canonfd.com/choose.htm

Thread Information