ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Camera of the Year nominations?

Are we going to have a Camera of the Year poll this year? It's been quite a busy year, in fact I think the market has changed radically since this time last year.

I'm asking this because I have bought TWO new cameras this year (very rare) and both of them are on my list for Camera of the Year. In fact I don't know which one to choose:

- the Nikon D800 redefined the advanced-amateur-low-end-pro-studio-fashion-landscape market
    - the Sony RX100 redefined the advanced compact with a much bigger sensor

Those would be my nominations. Anybody got any others?
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Just Me

Re: Camera of the Year nominations?

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    Are we going to have a Camera of the Year poll this year? It's been quite a busy year, in fact I think the market has changed radically since this time last year.

I'm asking this because I have bought TWO new cameras this year (very rare) and both of them are on my list for Camera of the Year. In fact I don't know which one to choose:

- the Nikon D800 redefined the advanced-amateur-low-end-pro-studio-fashion-landscape market
    - the Sony RX100 redefined the advanced compact with a much bigger sensor

Those would be my nominations. Anybody got any others?
    It would be great to show us what made you think those are great cameras by posting some of your latest work, I haven't seen much of your photography for quite sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    I totally agree, Charles. Those are both worthy cameras, too. Thanks for getting this discussion started early this year (at least this seems early to me).

Off the top of my head, here are the cameras I'd put on my list of personal nominees:

Olympus OM-D E-M5 - best mirrorless camera yet
    Sony RX100 - revolutionary pocket camera performance
    Sony RX1 - ridiculous full-frame compact
    Nikon D800 - 36-megapixel DSLR with best IQ ever
    Sony Alpha SLT-A99 - first full-frame SLT camera with EVF

It seems to me there were more worthy nominees earlier this year. But maybe they've just shaken out in my mind and this is what's left. I think these are all solid possibilities, though.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

I totally second the OM-D E-M5 nod, I had a chance to play with one at the PhotoPlus Expo, and it's def. going to (or it's sucessor) will be the replacement for my E-P1 before I head to Europe in 2015.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Liz

the OM-D EM5.....

YES!

Liz
    Olympus E-M5 digital camera
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

If the a99 don't take it there is no justice in the world. I have been using it for about three weeks and am in heaven. I never dreamed I would have a camera with this much dynamic range. It has everything a landscaper needs, articulating screen, focus peaking which I feel is the greatest invention for a camera since IS. Plus focus range, EVF, no moving mirror so quieter smoother shutter, no mirror lock up, great battery life, on and on......
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

What other cameras should be in the running for the 2012 Camera of the Year? It seems to me that there are at least two or three more that should be included in this discussion.
    Photo-John

Well there is the D600 and the NEX 6, Canon 5D mark IIIA if you can count it as new?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    Well there is the D600 and the NEX 6, Canon 5D mark IIIA if you can count it as new?
    I'm not sure about the D600 and NEX-6 but I think the Canon EOS 5D Mark III might belong on the list. I don't know if it's that innovative, though. That's why I didn't include it on my first list. For me, innovation is what makes a camera worthy. Even though I love the Canon EOS 5D Mark III, the EOS-1D X and the Nikon D4, I feel like they show incremental (in a big way) and somewhat predictable progress and not real out-of-the-box innovation.
    Photo-John

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Even though I love the Canon EOS 5D Mark III, the EOS-1D X and the Nikon D4, I feel like they show incremental (in a big way) and somewhat predictable progress and not real out-of-the-box innovation.
    I couldn't agree more.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

I vote for the Canon 5D mark III

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

I nominate the Sony A99...did a lot of thinking on this... :O)

Rick

OK, I think it's time to bring this to a vote. But to make sure we're all on the same page as far as what cameras should be on the list, here's what I got from this thread:

Nikon D800
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III
    Sony RX1
    Sony RX100
    Sony Alpha SLT-A99
    Olympus OM-D E-M5
    Fujifilm X-Pro1
    Samsung Galaxy Camera
    Leica M Monochrom

Are we missing anything? And remember, this is for the community choice for Camera of the Year. Your opinions and arguments definitely have an effect on my decision but there will be two picks (they could be the same camera). If the list is missing something, let me know. Once I'm sure the list is right, I'll put up an actual poll so we can start voting.
    Last edited by Photo-John; 12-21-2012 at 02:51 PM.
    Photo-John

If the sony's RX100/RX1 is there maybe include the fuji xpro 1 / Xe1 ? or are these to much of an specialty camera ?

I think Leica had a couple of new ones. The M monochrome and ME.

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    If the sony's RX100/RX1 is there maybe include the fuji xpro 1 / Xe1 ? or are these to much of an specialty camera ?
    Thanks for reminding me about the X-Pro1, Armando. I definitely think it belongs on the list. There have been so many interesting new cameras this year that I had started to think it was a 2011 camera. It doesn't matter if they're specialty cameras, either. After all, is there more of a specialty camera than the RX1?
    Photo-John

I think Leica had a couple of new ones. The M monochrome and ME.
    Good point, Greg. They had three, actually - the M Monochrom, the M-E and the new M. Of those, I think the M Monochrom belongs on the list. But the other two aren't really standout cameras to me in terms of innovation, and that's my main criterion for Camera of the Year. I'm open to being talked into it, though. For example, as much as I like the Canon EOS 5D Mark III, I don't really see it as innovative. But enough people mentioned it that I'm going to include it.
    Photo-John

I just updated my list to include the Fujifilm X-Pro1. Is there anything else that should be added to the list?
    Photo-John

Well there is also the Samsung Android camera. It is probably a sleeper and might out sale most of the others camera as I think many young people, Facebookers, Twits ect will buy them. I know I am considering getting my wife one as she is posting FB stuff all the time.

Sony a99/a7R

Well there is also the Samsung Android camera. It is probably a sleeper and might out sale most of the others camera as I think many young people, Facebookers, Twits ect will buy them. I know I am considering getting my wife one as she is posting FB stuff all the time.
    You have probably noticed that I've been testing one, Greg. I thought about mentioning it here and then changed my mind. But you bringing it up has re-changed my mind (I'm like a politician before election!) I'm a bit disappointed with the image quality but the Android OS and mobile connectivity makes it a very cool and leading-edge camera. To my knowledge there's nothing else quite like it right now. I expect to see a bunch more next year, though. Polaroid has already leaked that they will be introducing an interchangeable lens Android OS camera in a few weeks.

So yeah - I'm happy to add the Samsung to the poll
    Photo-John

Camera of the Year Poll Is Open!

I just posted a PhotographyREVIEW.com members choice 2012 Camera of the Year poll. Please vote for the new camera you think was most important this year. That isn't necessarily your favorite camera - but rather, the most innovative / influential new camera. Vote here:

Photography and Camera Quick Polls

I've been working on this list for a few weeks so I think it's pretty solid. But if you think I missed anything, please let me know. If you want to know more about any of the cameras in the poll, here's a list of articles and reviews for each one:

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Review | Camera News & Reviews
    Fujifilm X-Pro1 First Impressions & Video | Camera News & Reviews
    Leica’s $8000 M Monochrom Black-and-White Camera | Camera News & Reviews
    Nikon D800 Announced – 36-Megapixel Multimedia HD-SLR | Camera News & Reviews
    Olympus OM-D E-M5 Hands-On Video Intro | Camera News & Reviews
    Samsung Galaxy Camera Puts Android OS In Superzoom Camera | Camera News & Reviews
    Sony A99 Full-Frame DSLR – First Impressions Review | Camera News & Reviews
    Sony Cybershot RX100 – Large Sensor & f/1.8 Lens Make It The Pocket Camera King | Camera News & Reviews
    Sony RX1 – First Impressions Review | Camera News & Reviews

Thanks for voting!
    Photo-John

Re: Camera of the Year Poll Is Open!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    .. Please vote for the new camera you think was most important this year. That isn't necessarily your favorite camera - but rather, the most innovative / influential new camera...
    That was easy. I voted for the Sony RX100. If I may be so bold as to make an outrageous statement, in ten years the camera market will be:

- Smartphones at the low end
    - 24x36 DSLR's at the high end
    - Cameras with 1-inch sensors in the middle, everything from point-and-shoots to hybrids like the Nikon 1.

That leaves a huge gap in the middle that might be filled by cameras with intermediate-sized sensors (consumer DSLR's, APS-C, Micro 4/3) but my guess is they're going to have a hard time against the volume sales of 1-inch sensors.

Over the Christmas break I'm using my RX100 and my Nikon D300. In terms of image quality they are pretty much equal so far.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Re: Camera of the Year Poll Is Open!

Thanks for voting, Charles. I'm still conflicted about what I think is the most significant camera of the year. There aren't very many votes yet but so far the leader is the Nikon D800.

Your prediction is a good one, I think. But ten years is way too long right now. I'd compress that and say that will happen in more like 3 to 5 years. I'm not so sure about the full-frame DSLRs, though. Unless they get a lot smaller, lighter and less expensive, I think they're going to remain specialized cameras that are mostly used by pros. Mirrorless cameras and APS-C sensors will keep getting better and I really think the mirrorless segment is on the edge of blowing up here in the West. On the other hand, in about 1998 or 1999 I remember saying digital cameras *might* replace film within 10 years. I was a little off there
    Photo-John

Thread Information