ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Camera store has a Canon 17-40 L... might get it... thoughts?

Okay, I really want to replace the 18-55 that came with the rebel... with a 17-40 L. They have it at the camera store, and I have the money for it (technically.. gotta spend student loans somewhere...).

Any experience with this lense? Right now all I have is the 18-55 EFS which is really.. well, a 100 dollar lens. And with this L, I'd have a decent lens for 17-40, then 28-300, and my 105 macro, most bases covered.

So if I get any replies, I might go get this today. I've been reading review and they all sound good. Are "L" lenses just sort of "end game", in the sense I'd never really need another 17-40 range lens after this?

Comments appreciated.
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

My only complaint about the 17-40 is that it's an f/4. Otherwise the damn thing rocks. Much better than my old Nikon 18-35 in every respect. And I was happy with that one...

Don't hesitate, this is one sweet lens. HOWEVER, are there any focal lengths you could use more often? The 70-200 non-IS is only a few hundred bucks more.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Well, I'd like to have L quality glass all the way through, but right now, I have a Tamron 28-300 that is very decent, and I paid like 600 bucks for it (yeah high retail, I know..). So I figure if I got something like the 70-200L series, I'd still be missing a decent wide angle zoom. I don't have a good wide angle at all, the 18-55 EFS is lacking, and I'd like to be rid of it. I don't find it's quality to be appealing... the shots are just B- shots when the L is A+.

I think I am gonna do it... then worry about getting L's down the road. The Tamron and Sigma are actually really nice, just not quite like the L.

Are you sure you aren't looking at the lens just for the little band of red color on the end of the lens? He...he...he. That red band costs a few hundred extra dollars. But it adds alot of prestige. Hey maybe you can buy a cheaper lens and paint a small red stripe around the lens.

Actually, I like Sebastian's idea even better. Get the 70 - 200 2.8L. Then you will have a white lens with a red stripe. Talk about prestige.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

A post or two ago you said you couldn't afford a polarizer? Now your looking into L lenses. It seems to me, based on all your recent posts, that maybe you should shoot more then determing what you really need.

Just a thought.

Mike

"A post or two ago you said you couldn't afford a polarizer?"

If I said that, that's not what I meant, would have been more accurate to say I don't WANT to spend money on a polarizer, where on a lens I don't have a problem spending a little.

At any rate, I picked up the lens. I think it's going to be a winner.

BTW what is with the snide comments? Seems like there is sort of an elitist vibe about me being a beginner with SLR's, but wanting nice things like a better camera body or a better lens. If this is a forum where your gear has to match your experience, maybe that should be more clearly posted. If you want, I can start posting shots from my Kodak DC 265 at a stunning .9 megapixel.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Dempsey

If I said that, that's not what I meant, would have been more accurate to say I don't WANT to spend money on a polarizer, where on a lens I don't have a problem spending a little.

BTW what is with the snide comments? Seems like there is sort of an elitist vibe about me being a beginner with SLR's, but wanting nice things like a better camera body or a better lens. If this is a forum where your gear has to match your experience, maybe that should be more clearly posted. If you want, I can start posting shots from my Kodak DC 265 at a stunning .9 megapixel.
    Sean,

I think the guys are just giving you a hard time, though that's just my feeling, I could be wrong.

I think your reasoning makes sense, although I am a bit biased because I LOVE wide angles. The 17-40 has great image quality at the wide end, and at the long end it is not as good as the 16-35. But it's half the price.

You should be happy with it. I am always glad to see people spend money on glass instead of cameras, the images will show it.

Now go out there and shoot.
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Sean,

We aren't being snide. More just teasing you about your previous post about wanting a 10D because of the prestige. Please don't take offense; just some good natured sarcasm coming your way.

But glad you did pick up the lens. I was considering getting that one but the F4 was just too slow. Shoot mostly at 2.8 or faster in low light situations.

Hey look on the bright side. The fact people feel comfortable enough to say these things means you are in the exclusive "Photography Review elitest only professional equipment Club". Again just joking.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"BTW what is with the snide comments? Seems like there is sort of an elitist vibe about me being a beginner with SLR's, but wanting nice things like a better camera body or a better lens. If this is a forum where your gear has to match your experience, maybe that should be more clearly posted. If you want, I can start posting shots from my Kodak DC 265 at a stunning .9 megapixel.
    I'm sorry you took it as snide or elitist. But, and I don't know what equipment you have, if you want to shoot things like waterfalls and or other landscapes, a good sturdy tripod, cable release, items like polarizers and nd's, and _technique_ will give you better pictures than getting a better lens. A few good books would help too. I can recomend a few if you'd like.

BTW, did you have a problem with my last post about taking pictures of running water too?

I do like dennis's paint idea.

Mike

Liz

Cool Congratulations Man!

The one thing I miss about the DSLR is the "real" wide angle. The 17mm fits the bill IMO - I'd love to have one. It will probably be my next tax rebate type purchase unless Canon comes out with a decently priced 12-14mm Unlikely

I'm looking forward to seeing some pics from your new lens. And IMO, good glass is a good choice if it's in your budget. When I went over to the digital side, I recycled my lenses, sold most of them and purchased better glass, including my first "L" lens the 200mm. I find that having less lenses and better glass to be the way to go for me. I absolutely love just lookiing through the 200mm. I think you will love that lens.

Don't forget to post some pics and have fun.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by dsl712
    "Photography Review elitest only professional equipment Club". Again just joking.

Dennis
    btw, I still haven't received my embroidered aviator jacket and memebrship card...and I even switched to Canon...

Sean,

Many of us a re smart-ass...people.

Watch out for Asylum Steve...he EARNED that name... ;)
    -Seb

My website

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    btw, I still haven't received my embroidered aviator jacket and memebrship card...and I even switched to Canon...

Sean,

Many of us a re smart-ass...people.

Watch out for Asylum Steve...he EARNED that name... ;)
    I didn't know I could get an embroidered aviator jacket and memembrship card! I'll have to send PJ a lnote...

Erstwhile Vagabond armed with camera Lionheart's Avatar

I agree with Sebastian on the 70-200

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    My only complaint about the 17-40 is that it's an f/4. Otherwise the damn thing rocks. Much better than my old Nikon 18-35 in every respect. And I was happy with that one...

Don't hesitate, this is one sweet lens. HOWEVER, are there any focal lengths you could use more often? The 70-200 non-IS is only a few hundred bucks more.
    I've rarely needed a wide angle beyond 20mm, and even though you've got the range with your 28-300 zoom, I'd be willing to bet my "L" lens collection that the 70-200 zoom becomes your go to lens for at least half your pictures simply because the picture quality is so heads and shoulders above what you've got now. I know I dumped my Tamron zooms after I got this lens and haven't looked back.

70-200 a little long on the 1.6X crop cameras

The 70-200 effectively becomes a 112-320mm lens on a digi-rebel because of the wretched (IMO) crop factor. So, for me it becomes too long to really use much of the time, unless i'm shooting sports. I find that the 17-40 or a good 28-70ish are a great all around lenses that you can walk around all day with. From your collection, it seems like a wide angle is your next step and the 17-40 is a sure buy, if you have the money. I keep on looking for a cheaper alternative and i seem to be always coming back to that lens. If you get it, you're not going to be disappointed, except maybe that it's not a f2.8.

Ivan

I wasn't upset, everyone here is helpful. I am just young, in college, with a good job and no wife or kids... or girlfriend. Take all that extra money usually used by people my age on a new family, and suddenly I have extra cash for hobbies.

I got the lens now and it is immaculate, I took a bunch of stuff and it is CRISP, wow. The colors are alive too, you can really see what the L does. I had it at a park, and this girl came up and asked if "that was one of those L canons" and I said yeah, then she smiled shyly and asked if I could take her picture, saying "I would never settle for any less of a lenss, or a man.."

So anyways, it's a great lens.

Liz

Smile thanks for sharing

a little about yourself - it's always good to know where people are coming from. Yes, I'm sure that is one great lens. Now you'll be spoiled - "L" all the way. I know if I could, I'd get more L lenses - that one 200mm spoils me.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work. ENJOY

I wasn't upset, everyone here is helpful. I am just young, in college, with a good job and no wife or kids... or girlfriend. Take all that extra money usually used by people my age on a new family, and suddenly I have extra cash for hobbies.

I got the lens now and it is immaculate, I took a bunch of stuff and it is CRISP, wow. The colors are alive too, you can really see what the L does. I had it at a park, and this girl came up and asked if "that was one of those L canons" and I said yeah, then she smiled shyly and asked if I could take her picture, saying "I would never settle for any less of a lenss, or a man.."

So anyways, it's a great lens.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Dude.

You got hit on because of your camera lens?!

DUDE, that's almost enough to make me go Canon!

Congrats!

(on the new lens, I mean ;)

RIck
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Erstwhile Vagabond armed with camera Lionheart's Avatar

Talking Oh NO...you're hooked now bud:-)

Once you get an "L" lens, you will be oh so spoiled. It'll be hard going back to anything less. After my "L" lenses were stolen (along with my prized EOS-1V HS), I really struggled without my favorite lenses. The warmth, sharpness, saturation is very different from consumer level glass on these lenses. I guess the 24-70, and 70-200 f2.8L will be next on your list. While you're at it, go for broke-get the 1Ds or the 1D MkII ;)

A loooong way from 1000! Cowgirl's Avatar
    You'll really like it-I'm sure!

I have really enjoyed mine! See my corvette photos on the other thread a couple days ago. All photos were taken with that lens.

I was first amazed at how close I could get to the subject about 9-10 inches!

I have taken lots of shots of wildflowers w/ this lens but haven't gotten the slides developed yet. Can't wait to see them!

This lens is now heavily competing with my 28-135 IS as my primary lens. I think that its winning in fact!

Also - I LOVE that tiny red stripe and "L" on the barrel! ;)

Enjoy it!

Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    a little about yourself - it's always good to know where people are coming from. Yes, I'm sure that is one great lens. Now you'll be spoiled - "L" all the way. I know if I could, I'd get more L lenses - that one 200mm spoils me.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work. ENJOY
    Hi Liz, just which lens is this exactly? Since I've used the Nikon CP5000 for my first year of getting serious about photography, I don't know much about lenses and would like more info on this canon lens that you are using. I now plan to get myself a digital rebel after much deliberation and comparing. Actually, I've simply come back around to what was originally my first choice. Would appreciate any info. Thanks.

Ray

Liz

Smile Glad to give you what I know.......

Hi Ray,

I'm not sure which lens you're referring to, so here's info on both. The Canon 200mm/f2.8L is the lens I was speaking about that was my only "L" lens. This is an awesome lens. Many people prefer the 70-200mm/f4 due to the flexibility of the zoom. However, I tried it for 2 days, and it was too heavy and big for me - and I wanted the extra light since it's 200mm. I have to say - lens quality definitely makes a difference. I love just looking through this lens! And the colour, sharpness is incredible. Here's the link to B&H info on the 200mm - check the specifications for more info.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...129190&is=GREY

The one Kathy (Cowgirl) is referring to is the Canon 17-40mm/f4L which is another amazing lens....and which BY THE WAY, I just purchased this morning! I sold my Canon 85mm and 20mm lenses and some accessories from my old point & shoot and only had to pay $150 upfront. I never use the 85mm and won't need the 20mm with this lens. Here is the link to info at B&H. It has a $40 rebate also.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=279582&is=USA

I hope this answers your question. Have a great weekend.

BTW, I'm in love with the Rebel!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by schrackman
    Hi Liz, just which lens is this exactly? Since I've used the Nikon CP5000 for my first year of getting serious about photography, I don't know much about lenses and would like more info on this canon lens that you are using. I now plan to get myself a digital rebel after much deliberation and comparing. Actually, I've simply come back around to what was originally my first choice. Would appreciate any info. Thanks.

Ray

Thanks Liz, that answers my question. That's one pricey bugger of a lens, but I suppose it's worth it.

I just found a website http://www.photonotes.org/articles/b...aq/lenses.html that helped me to understand some of the basics behind Canon lenses, so now it makes a little more sense to me. As if having to choose a new camera out of so many wasn't hard enough, now I have a ton more choices in lenses!!

Thanks again for the info, and have a great weekend yourself.

Ray

Liz

Question Ray.......question

Ray - are you referring to the 17-40 or the 200mm?

They are both a bit pricey IMO. I had to sell quite a bit of equipment when I switched to digital. I sold things I had just been holding onto - including 2 P&S cameras, my trusty friend, the Elan7e, and other miscellaneous equipment I wouldn't need anymore. I also recycled my lenses, selling most of what I had. I now have less lenses, but better glass (including the 200mm - and now the 17-40).

However, I'm finding digital is much less expensive in the long run, although the initial output is high. I don't print my own photos, so I didn't have to get a special printer, and Walmart is quite inexpensive for 4x6 prints. I know I have saved a lot not having to buy film and process it - most of my images were throw aways. With digital, you don't have the problem of paying for the throw-aways.

Liz

Thanks Liz, that answers my question. That's one pricey bugger of a lens, but I suppose it's worth it.

I just found a website http://www.photonotes.org/articles/b...aq/lenses.html that helped me to understand some of the basics behind Canon lenses, so now it makes a little more sense to me. As if having to choose a new camera out of so many wasn't hard enough, now I have a ton more choices in lenses!!

Thanks again for the info, and have a great weekend yourself.

Ray

Hi Liz,

I was referring to the 200mm. I think for now I'll just concern myself with getting the camera with the standard 18-55 EF-S lens and then worry about another lens afterwards. Since there are so many to choose from I'll really have to take my time and find out which one will be right for my purposes.

By the way, where did you sell your equipment? I need to sell my CP5000 somewhat quickly. I have one lady who says she's interested but she's taking her sweet time deciding and I want to sell it within the next week to two weeks.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Ray - are you referring to the 17-40 or the 200mm?

They are both a bit pricey IMO. I had to sell quite a bit of equipment when I switched to digital. I sold things I had just been holding onto - including 2 P&S cameras, my trusty friend, the Elan7e, and other miscellaneous equipment I wouldn't need anymore. I also recycled my lenses, selling most of what I had. I now have less lenses, but better glass (including the 200mm - and now the 17-40).

However, I'm finding digital is much less expensive in the long run, although the initial output is high. I don't print my own photos, so I didn't have to get a special printer, and Walmart is quite inexpensive for 4x6 prints. I know I have saved a lot not having to buy film and process it - most of my images were throw aways. With digital, you don't have the problem of paying for the throw-aways.

Liz

Liz

Places to sell

I sold my equipment to B&H because I'm very close to the store. However, KEH is good, sometimes better in giving a good price. They will give you a quote online or by phone too.

Liz

Hi Liz,

I was referring to the 200mm. I think for now I'll just concern myself with getting the camera with the standard 18-55 EF-S lens and then worry about another lens afterwards. Since there are so many to choose from I'll really have to take my time and find out which one will be right for my purposes.

By the way, where did you sell your equipment? I need to sell my CP5000 somewhat quickly. I have one lady who says she's interested but she's taking her sweet time deciding and I want to sell it within the next week to two weeks.

Ray

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information