ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Camera Maintenance... what do I need to maintain?

Okay I've had my Digital Rebel for 5 days. The first thing I did was get UV filters for the lenses, mostly to protect the outer lens glass.

Now that it's been used, mostly in outdoor southwest locales, it's got some dust and such on it. Plus, I change lenses quite often, but I have no idea if the CCD or mirror is dirty.

What do I need to do, and how often, to keep this baby looking good? Can I use compressed air on the outer body and lense area to get the debris and such off of it? What sort of cloth and cleaner do I use on the outer lense glass and the viewfinder? And how often and such is it recommended to clean the inner CCD and mirror and whatnot, as well as the part of the lens bodies that go inside the camera?

Thanks for your help.

It's a camera, not a car. Keep it clean, keep the mount pointed down when changing lenses, and keep taking pictures.

Microfiber for cleaning the lenses, and throw the UV filters away. All they will do is create flare and ghosting, while degrading optical quality. Unless you're using one of the L-series lenses in a pouring rain or dust storm and need to seal the fron element, there is no need whatsoever.

BTW, I use compressed air on the outside, i don't bother cleaning the sensor, safer and easier to just remove the dust in PS.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

With all the dust, you probably want to try to blow as much off as you can before you use the microfiber cloth. That's all I do - works fine. For the sensor, as Seb said - you can keep most of the dust off of it by pointing the camera down when you change lenses, but also be sure the camera is off (possibly less static buildup) and do it quickly. Unless it gets really bad, then just clone it out in photoshop and you'll be fine. The problem becomes more noticable with smaller apertures and wider lenses.

Lens hoods will probably give you more physical protection than a filter will unless you're in a dust storm or a thunderstorm. Plus, a hood will cut down on flare.

huh, I was told to get the UV filter mostly to protect the lenses from scratches and breakages, not so much for the UV protection. I try it out and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Dempsey
    huh, I was told to get the UV filter mostly to protect the lenses from scratches and breakages, not so much for the UV protection. I try it out and see.
    That's what the hood is for. The filter will do nothing but collect dust and cause image degradation.

A good hood protects from flare as well as all the physical damage. I don't know what lenses you have, so it might even be a moot point.
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

*takes off UV filter* Any specific brand of hood you wanna recommend?

Brand??? How about the one that came with the lens? If it didn't come with one, I doubt it's expensive enough to warrant protection. Not being elitist here, it's just the truth, some lenses are so bad to begin with, the filter will only hurt them more without adding any sort of protective value since the fron element probably costs chump change to replace anyway, if replacement is even worth it.

As far as aftermarket hoods, there are mahy available, from plastic to rubber to metal. Plastic is probably the way to go since it will absorb the most shock and won't dent as easily as metal. Check to see what fits your lens and if it vignettes or not before you buy it, most shops will let you do that. If they're worth buying form at least...
    -Seb

My website

Uhm, yeah...my lens didn't come with a hood, because I didnt buy my lens new. At the time I bought my camera I had only $300, and got it through B&H for just under that with no lens, so my mom goes out to a camera shop and spends $266 on a lens that I didnt ask her to buy, so I'm still not sure if she got ripped really bad or not. The lens is Canon EF 35-135 Ultrasonic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pose
    Uhm, yeah...my lens didn't come with a hood, because I didnt buy my lens new. At the time I bought my camera I had only $300, and got it through B&H for just under that with no lens, so my mom goes out to a camera shop and spends $266 on a lens that I didnt ask her to buy, so I'm still not sure if she got ripped really bad or not. The lens is Canon EF 35-135 Ultrasonic.
    Well, the link you posted shows that the lens didn't have a dedicated hood. A quick search seems to confirm that. I suggest finding something from a third party that fits and doesn't vignette.
    -Seb

My website

Many Canon lenses don't come with a hood...

and must be purchased seperately.

I agree with the advice to not use a UV filter. When I first started shooting, all my photographer friends said "use a UV filter to protect the lens". Then I started reading about pros not using a UV and then the comment "why do you need a UV filter to protect the front element if you're taking care of your equipment?" Decision made, no more UV filters!
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    That's what the hood is for. The filter will do nothing but collect dust and cause image degradation.

A good hood protects from flare as well as all the physical damage. I don't know what lenses you have, so it might even be a moot point.

STOP!!! Don't taske that filter off too soon. The lens hood is to keep light OFF the lens, not dirt and dust. It will protect the lens to a degree. I have had stuff hit my lens but since the filter was on it protected the glass. So I had to replace a $40 filter instead of a $600 lens. If your shooting in a dusty area the chance of having a rock hit your lens is high, keep the filter.
    Hoods are designed to limit excessive light from sides of the lens and helps keep lens flare down. I NEVER shoot without filters and rarely have any lens flare and never ghosting. Use high quality Hoya UV (0) Filters, they are expensive ($42 for 77mm at Roberts Distributors Indianapolis) but they avoid the problems with most filters such as color changes. It's like not having a filter but keeps out the UV which causes lens flare etc.
    Plus it's cheaper to buy a few filters than have the glass repaird/replaced if you scratch it cleaning the dust off.
    Another thing is there is always some jerk who will try and put there finger on your lens (happened twice last week) and the filter protected the lens.
    John

Send $$$ For Film and Processing h2oskierc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    STOP!!! Don't taske that filter off too soon. The lens hood is to keep light OFF the lens, not dirt and dust. It will protect the lens to a degree. I have had stuff hit my lens but since the filter was on it protected the glass. So I had to replace a $40 filter instead of a $600 lens. If your shooting in a dusty area the chance of having a rock hit your lens is high, keep the filter.
    Hoods are designed to limit excessive light from sides of the lens and helps keep lens flare down. I NEVER shoot without filters and rarely have any lens flare and never ghosting. Use high quality Hoya UV (0) Filters, they are expensive ($42 for 77mm at Roberts Distributors Indianapolis) but they avoid the problems with most filters such as color changes. It's like not having a filter but keeps out the UV which causes lens flare etc.
    Plus it's cheaper to buy a few filters than have the glass repaird/replaced if you scratch it cleaning the dust off.
    Another thing is there is always some jerk who will try and put there finger on your lens (happened twice last week) and the filter protected the lens.
    John
    Amen John!

I have read many books, and talked to many pros, and everything I have heard says to use the UV filters, if for nothing else protection. I don't have all the money in the world, so I cannot throw it after the professional series lenses, but I still do spend a few hundred on some of my glass, and every lens is always covered with a filter of some type. I have never noticed any image degradation from the UV filters (I too buy the more expensive ones ~$50 or so a pop, usually Canon, but some others), nor have I seen any proof of image degradation when used by a photographer that knows what they are doing.

That being said, hoods are still a wonderful thing to have, and I wish that I had hoods for my lenses.

BTW, not trying to flame, or start a virtual filter riot, just throwing my two cents in the bucket...
    Chris

When I grow up I want to be a Photographer.

No more money left for film
    Will work for Canon DSLR Body...

Hey Sean-

I have a Rebel and love it. So much for that. The lens Mom bought is a good one, why not protect with a comparitivly inexpensive UV filter - cheaper than a new lens.

I use a Canon 100/400L IS USM for most of my Wildlife/Soccer stuff. Now at $1300.00 plus dollars, I'm sure as heck gonna protect it. Sunshade just adds to the reassurance. for what it's worth.
    A couple of 20D's and some good glass
    My galleries www.pbase.com/jpferguson

Thread Information