ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

It Came from the Netherlands!

The American Enka Company, the name coming from the initials of the Dutch company that founded it in 1928. The Dutch Firm Nederlandse Kunstzijdefabriek and in English Netherlands Artificial Silk Company, when pronounced N-K sounds like ENKA.

While the initial years were closely supervised by the Dutch, by 1930, The American Enka Company, was it's own independent company, and through these efforts helped shore up the faltering economies in Tennessee, North Carolina, and Kentucky. But not just by employment in the Enka factories, these huge plants were operating and close to 24 hours a day, each with their own power plant, so coal mining, and the gathering of other raw material spread the love far and wide.

This particular plant was constructed in 1944, and became known as Lowland, TN, that's right, the plant itself was so big, it had its own post office and Zip Code. The Lowland Plant started operations in 1948. Enka's Rayon was well known and highly sought after. And after seeing the property as we drove up, I can believe it. The place was huge.

Many of the buildings have since been demolished, even the power plant which was once at least 50% there two years ago, and after comparing everything to a site plan we found instead the one building we explored, the place was once huge. A small hospital, the post office (that operated until 2011), a store, water treatment. Even the power plant that seemed so big, was so very small on the site.

But as time continued, and the 1980s hit and the global market took it's toll on American company's Enka had to restructure to keep in competition. In '85 the Badische Corporation purchased Enka, and combined to form the BASF Fibers division. However when stuff like this happens, the company tends to trade hands, as did Enka over the course of the 1990s.

The final name for the plant as it produced Rayon was Intercontinental Polymers Incorporated, thankfully they left almost everything behind, paperwork, equipment, and yes even the site plan that I noted earlier. We spent four hours inside the one building on site, and there was still a second. But we were all very tired and hungry at this point. But there was one last document on display, the shut down date, October 15th, 2003.

Probably one of the best parts of this year's MAMU was that it was so small, so we really could stick together and truly see the locations and experience them together. Yeah, we spent a good five hours here, and just saw the one building, a return trip is in order to check out the second...hopefully before it gets knocked down.

To see more, you can view the whole set on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/axle81...7644458051962/

Nikon D300 - AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm 1:2.8G
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Re: It Came from the Netherlands!

#3 is really impressive Alex, great series.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

I enjoyed these.

I particularly enjoyed these because so many images are of the touristy side of the Netherlands ie Nature and pretty architecture but you focused on the more industrial side. Great idea

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy388 View Post
    I particularly enjoyed these because so many images are of the touristy side of the Netherlands ie Nature and pretty architecture but you focused on the more industrial side. Great idea
    Thanks! And actually this spot is in Lowland, TN, the company, ENKA is from the Netherlands and established the company in the US in the 1920s, hence the title "It Came from the Netherlands"
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

These photos are great! Looks like a post-apocalyptic scene. I want to visit such abandoned factories and buildings too. I live in Arizona, 480 area code here and it's quite hard to find something similar here.

I enjoy these kinds of photography which carry the past. Thanks for sharing these lovely shots.

You can look for such places on the Internet. There are plenty of them across the US, maybe even close to your area. If you are keen on visiting them, you may make your search based on the zip code. Then you can plan your trip more effectively. You will be able to plan a few places in one day. To find out more, use a search postcode finder. Having the search results you can build a so-called map with the places you are going to visit.

Thread Information