ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Budapest 1st May air display - really close

There was an air display on 1st May in Budapest. I went along with what I had - D300 and 18-200 - and did my best.

There were lots of spectacular aerobatics but what I wanted were pictures of the planes with the city as a backdrop (including the P38 Lightning that appeared at La Ferte last weekend). Fortunately the program involved flying under one of the bridges. It got riskier and riskier..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Budapest 1st May air display - really close-4827-084.jpg   Budapest 1st May air display - really close-4827-312.jpg   Budapest 1st May air display - really close-4827-360.jpg   Budapest 1st May air display - really close-4827-361.jpg   Budapest 1st May air display - really close-4827-541.jpg  

Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Re: Budapest 1st May air display - really close

Flying under the bridge!!

Something I've only seen in the movies

I remember seeing the Red Bull Air Races on TV a few years ago. It may have been Budapest where they had to fly under the bridge to make the start of the course. Flying over the bridge and then diving to the first gate was actually more dangerous! Those race events haven't run since 2010, and they keep promising to bring them back every year.

Red Bull brought along three historical aicraft (Lightning, Corsair and a 4 motor passenger carrier that I didn't recognise). They stayed at a fair height.

All the flying-under-bridge stuff was done by two local champions in stunt planes. According to the TV the other aircraft actually touched the water with its wheel. But these are old guys with grey hair who knew exactly what they were doing.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thread Information