ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Borrowing Ideas

Borrowing Ideas

What are your thoughts on borrowing other people's photographic ideas? It could be a certain composition, subject, post processing technique, style, etc. I know we all get inspired by seeing other photos but to what extent do you take that information and incorporate it into your work?
    I bring this up because I found a photo that I liked on the website of a photographer I admire. I then shot a similar photo at home...not an exact copy but with similarities in the finished look. While I'm very happy with the way my photo turned out I'm left with the feeling that it's not "mine".
    Is that kind of scenario better left as a tool for learning, just another block in developing my own style, a nice nod in the direction of the photographer, or a violation of the "rules"?
    Looking forward to hearing your opinions on this.
    tony

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Let Picaso Be Your Guide...

Good artists borrow. Great artists steal. (Pablo Picasso)

Just a thought..
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Re: Let Picaso Be Your Guide...

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Good artists borrow. Great artists steal. (Pablo Picasso)
    Ha! It's hard not to be influenced by the work of others, and trying to copy an photograph (by taking the same shot yourself) can be a good learning experience about technique. I've heard that some of the classic Ansel Adams shots are re-done by photographers standing shoulder to shoulder at national parks. Personally, I'm not interested in doing that unless doing it with the intention of exploring that influence and then trying to use those ideas and techniques in what I see.

Re: Borrowing Ideas

I think we are all influenced or inspired by the work of other. While I don't try to duplicate an image I may try to do one that is similar in style or content. By trying to copy or duplicate techniques and style I thing we learn and eventually develop our own individual style or form of photography.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

To add to what Steve said.
    A lot of your earlier photographic experiences will be emulating stuff from other photographers.
    It's perfectly OK!
    You have to learn some how. Right?
    Good Luck!
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

Cool, thanks for the insight so far! The Picasso quote was great!
    tony

drg

Quote Originally Posted by tony868
    . . . I then shot a similar photo at home...not an exact copy but with similarities in the finished look. While I'm very happy with the way my photo turned out I'm left with the feeling that it's not "mine".
    Tony,

Part of the 'trick' is to make it your own by adding or changing or improving upon what you have seen that inspires you. It can be thought of as a form of improvisation if nothing else.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

The Picasso quote was great!
    If anyone should know, it would be Pablo!

And drg is right, no matter how far you go to emulate a photograph of another photographer, the end result will still be yours, because you made that photograph, you brought your ideas, your personality, and all the other stuff that makes you, you into the photograph.
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

It's actually a great way to learn!

Pick a style/artist/photograph you admire, a place you want to be at, and then work hard until you can produce that same result. The skills you develop in the proces will build your strengths tremendously as a photographer. And the result seeing that you've accomplished your goal is tremendous.

And, the great irony is...

Once you get there, you might just realize that you've developed your own style along the way and you actually prefer that to the style you were trying to emulate

Good luck!
    Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Thanks for the continued encouragement and inspiration provided on this board! I don't post much (feedback and constructive criticism are the next steps in my learning process) but I do visit often and soak up the information. It's been a great help so far!
    tony

Thanks for the continued encouragement and inspiration provided on this board! I don't post much (feedback and constructive criticism are the next steps in my learning process)
    It doesn't take much, so I'd encourage you take that next step soon!
    Post an image or two in the Photo Critique Forum and comment on a few after that. Your photography will thank you for it!
    Good Luck!
    :thumbsup:
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

stylish and amazing best iPhone 5s cases for your phone then you can search it from the online sources. As there are so many websites are available that are offering you attractive iPhone covers, we have the best quality cases for your iPhone 5/5S.
    bagsq.com/Unique/Iphone-5-5s-103812/

Thread Information