ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

I sold six frammed prints yesterday

I set up at an art walk yesterday and sold six framed prints. Three 8x10s and three 11x14 photos. No I didn't make enough for a new lens or anything else for that matter but it is a start in the right direction. Just wanted to share my good news with everyone, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

n8

Re: I sold six frammed prints yesterday

Congrats seem to be in order. I can't wait until I find myself in the position to do the same.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    I set up at an art walk yesterday and sold six framed prints. Three 8x10s and three 11x14 photos. No I didn't make enough for a new lens or anything else for that matter but it is a start in the right direction. Just wanted to share my good news with everyone, Jeff
    Congrats! I imagine it's a lot of work, but with your great shots it should work out. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Congrats but I gotta ask

What did you charge ?

Cheers, Don

That is fantastic, Jeff! Were they the magnolias?

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Congratulations Jeff. It's always a good feeling when people buy our work. I'm curios, what prints did you sell?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Don, before I tell you how much I sold them for I want to say that I am just getting started and trying to get photos out there. I had about $15.00 in the 11x14 and charged $55.00 for them and about $13.00 in the 8x10 and charged $45.00, they were barn wood frames. Like I mentioned there are no new lenses in site at this pace anytime soon.

arne, the pictures that sold were one landscape, two Pelicans, one building and two with a lighthouse. No magnolias were sold which really surprised me. The pictures that I have here on the site look much better by far than what I post., I just don't seem to have the ability to post pictures at a lower file size down yet, Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Good job, Jeff! I hope you continue to do well!
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement, it is really appreciated. I have tried this a couple of times and you just don't seem to be able to have anything here in the higher price range. Where I have had my best luck is when I take a few pictures to someone in particular and try and sell them a print. I have done this about eight or nine times and have sold something almost every time anywhere from $150.00 a picture up to $375.00ea. but these opportunities don't come up that often. Most of the pictures I have sold are in Doctor's offices or businesses around town. I have prints in about eight or nine locations. I'm just getting started and there is a big learning curve on pricing and how to go about selling my prints. My goal is in years to come, down the road, to be known around town and mentioned when photography comes up in a conversation as someone you would like to get a print from. Well for now I will just keep plugging along and learning as I go.

I have looked at others in town that have pictures in galleries or places for sale and I would feel comfortable having my work hang beside them and not be embarrassed. My goal is to do nice enough work and build a reputation over time so that customers seek out my work, Jeff

Nice work and congratulations - doesn't it feel good knowing that someone else appreciates your photos.

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Congratulations !!

How many prints did you have in the exposition? did you have multiple copies of the same print ?

Rodger, it feels great to have other folks like my pictures enough to buy them. I didn't have copies of most of them but I will before very long. Thanks for you comments and for taking the time to reply, Jeff

armando, I had about 35 pictures from 8x10 size up to 20 x 30 canvas prints. Thanks for leaving a reply, Jeff

Buy the way, a customer called today and bought three 8x10s the viewed them yesterday.

You're on a roll Jeff

BTW, how were the canvas's received ? As in did "they" seem to like them ?

Compared to the paper prints ?

And were they wrapped or framed ?

Cheers, Don

Don, the canvas prints were received very well but as soon as I get rid of the five 20x30 canvas prints I have I won't be getting any more unless someone orders them. That big a print is just too big for the average customer to place in their house. I am going to be concentrating on the 11x14 and 16x20 sizes. To me, upping the size to 16x20 really gives most of my pictures the wow factor. All of the canvas prints I have had done are all gallery wrapped style. I have sold three or four of the 20x30 size but they have mostly been sold to commercial locations.

For the folks out there that have never had a picture printed to a 16x20 size you really need to take one of your best pictures and get it printed that big, you just might be surprised at what you see. Thanks everyone for your interest and replies, Jeff

Grats man. That is nice.

Liz

Congratulations Jeff!

This is GREAT NEWS! I am so happy for you. You surely are off to a great start!

Drum Roll for Jeff! :7:

Edited to add: just wondered if there are coffee shops, etc. - small Mom-Pop stores too - around that might hang your prints. Not as a sale - but with your card attached to them. Sometimes Starbucks, Duncan Donuts in some areas will do this. I see a lot of prints up in stores/restaurants around not for sale, but the artist's card attached at the bottom of the frame - or underneath.

Liz

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    Don, the canvas prints were received very well but as soon as I get rid of the five 20x30 canvas prints I have I won't be getting any more unless someone orders them. That big a print is just too big for the average customer to place in their house. I am going to be concentrating on the 11x14 and 16x20 sizes. To me, upping the size to 16x20 really gives most of my pictures the wow factor. All of the canvas prints I have had done are all gallery wrapped style. I have sold three or four of the 20x30 size but they have mostly been sold to commercial locations.
    I think you have done really well to pick up on this so quickly Jeff. This has been my experience as well. I haven't done much with canvas prints, but I did recently sell 5 20x30 or larger canvas prints to a chiropractor who was redecorating his office. That's a lot of wall space to cover that most people aren't going to have available in their home.

When I first started taking my work to art fairs and markets I kept things pretty small to give the customers an affordable product and to keep my overhead low. Lots of 5x7's and 8x10's. Now I'm really starting to get away from those sizes. I still do a lot of 8x12's but but I'm adding larger sizes to my offerings. I have gotten to the point where I just don't want to deal with the smaller stuff anymore. I still have a stack of prints I want to get rid of, but once I do, I will not be ordering anything smaller than 8x12 unless I get a special request.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    I think you have done really well to pick up on this so quickly Jeff. This has been my experience as well. I haven't done much with canvas prints, but I did recently sell 5 20x30 or larger canvas prints to a chiropractor who was redecorating his office. That's a lot of wall space to cover that most people aren't going to have available in their home.

When I first started taking my work to art fairs and markets I kept things pretty small to give the customers an affordable product and to keep my overhead low. Lots of 5x7's and 8x10's. Now I'm really starting to get away from those sizes. I still do a lot of 8x12's but but I'm adding larger sizes to my offerings. I have gotten to the point where I just don't want to deal with the smaller stuff anymore. I still have a stack of prints I want to get rid of, but once I do, I will not be ordering anything smaller than 8x12 unless I get a special request.
    I've been wondering if I should try and do something like this, maybe just put them at a table in a community yard sale, just to see if anyone has interest.
    --Cara

Canon 60D
    Canon XSi
    Canon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
    Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Tokina SD 12-24mm F/4 DX

My stuff on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35592266@N05

My photo blog: http://adventureswithnaturephotography.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CaraRose
    I've been wondering if I should try and do something like this, maybe just put them at a table in a community yard sale, just to see if anyone has interest.
    I haven't been doing this very long but if you get interested be sure and test the waters first before investing much. By the time you figure the price of tables, a canopy, stands, prints and frames plus everything else like the time that will be invested and money in equipment if it is really worth it. Thanks again to mike , Liz and cara for your input, Jeff

Thread Information