ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Blast from the Past..Ecktachromes

A few days ago Chunk had a post about the Epson RX620 and $150 worth of rebates. I had been looking at that 3 in 1 Photo printer for sometime. When he found the rebate deal I jumped in with both feet. Well I finally got it up and running tonight with a little help from Chunk. Here are the first couple of slides that I have attempted to scan. They are from the mid 70's and were shot on Kodak Ecktachrome 64. I would aprreciate any input you guys might have on scanning slides and how these could be improved. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blast from the Past..Ecktachromes-falls-2-640.jpg   Blast from the Past..Ecktachromes-falls-1-640.jpg  
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Blast from the Past..Ecktachromes

Nature is still as beautiful today as it was in the 70's it seems!

I myself am still learning how to scan slides so I don't have much to offer in the way of help there. I can say they seem a little dark and fairly contrasty to me. But without the original slides in front of me it's hard to say. I'm sure the other Viewfinder denizens can help more

Nice shooting!
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Nature is still as beautiful today as it was in the 70's it seems!

I myself am still learning how to scan slides so I don't have much to offer in the way of help there. I can say they seem a little dark and fairly contrasty to me. But without the original slides in front of me it's hard to say. I'm sure the other Viewfinder denizens can help more

Nice shooting!

Thanks Rick. The slides were a little dark. I was taught to under expose by 1/2 stop on slide film to get more saturation and to expose for the highlights. Right or wrong that is what I did for 25 years or so.

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

I'm afraid I won't ne much help either, OT. They do look a little on the dark side. They are still both some good looking images. Where did you shoot these?
    "No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit." --Ansel Adams

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." --Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by srobb
    I'm afraid I won't ne much help either, OT. They do look a little on the dark side. They are still both some good looking images. Where did you shoot these?
    Thanks SR! These are from one of my favorite places, Cumberland Falls State Park. I hope I can find some of the better ones to post from here, it is beautiful and best known for it's moon bow which I had a very rare opportunity to see several years ago.
    Last edited by Old Timer; 03-31-2006 at 10:17 AM.

Nikon Samurai #13

Hey hey, It's working. Nice to see that cool ektochrome color again, isn't it? I think these shots are nice - a good feeling of depth. I think the limited exposure latitude of the slide film can be felt here. I'm not used to that anymore. I always underexposed to boost saturation as well. It really made a noticable difference on the projected image.
    ----------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    A few days ago Chunk had a post about the Epson RX620 and $150 worth of rebates. I had been looking at that 3 in 1 Photo printer for sometime. When he found the rebate deal I jumped in with both feet. Well I finally got it up and running tonight with a little help from Chunk. Here are the first couple of slides that I have attempted to scan. They are from the mid 70's and were shot on Kodak Ecktachrome 64. I would aprreciate any input you guys might have on scanning slides and how these could be improved. Thanks in advance.
    I've done a lot of slide scanning but I've used a Nikon Coolscan (LS40). I've got some very nice snap shots, I've only done 3 of 12 boxs so far.

The scans posted look like they could use some adjustments, but if they look like they will need alot of post processing I scan to TIFF at the max color depth and resolution, and after editing save in standard JPG. (the film scaner also came with ICE and GEM which make for less post processing)
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    Hey hey, It's working. Nice to see that cool ektochrome color again, isn't it? I think these shots are nice - a good feeling of depth. I think the limited exposure latitude of the slide film can be felt here. I'm not used to that anymore. I always underexposed to boost saturation as well. It really made a noticable difference on the projected image.
    Hey thanks for your help and for finding this deal on the RX620. Your email gave me the little bit of info I needed to get it up and running I think. I tried to call but could not get through yesterday afternoon. I think I am going to really enjoy this new piece of equipment. I agree that I had gotten use to a little different look and that the Ektochrome color is a little different. I'm looking forward the experience ahead with the RX620. Thanks again Chunk..

Nikon Samurai #13

I would aprreciate any input you guys might have on scanning slides and how these could be improved. Thanks in advance.
    Lower the contrast and boost the levels.

There should be a setting in your scanner to do this for you at scan time. Will save you a TON of time in post processing.

Then look at your color saturation and see if it needs a boost also. It may not after the contrast/brightness adjustment.

Tim

Thanks to both you guys for the suggestions. It will give me some things to try. I appreciate your willingness to help.

Nikon Samurai #13

I know nothing about slides (I'll blame it on my age) but that second shot is brilliant! Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by jar_e
    I know nothing about slides (I'll blame it on my age) but that second shot is brilliant! Well done.
    Thanks jar_e. I have another slide from another angle with kayakers in closer to the falls. I haven't been thru these slides in a few years and have no idea where I've stashed them right now. These two just happened to be in the first slots in the first tray I pulled out. I hope to find some of the better ones and do a better job on the scans and get them up sometime in the not to distant future.

Nikon Samurai #13

Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

Thanks Rick. The slides were a little dark. I was taught to under expose by 1/2 stop on slide film to get more saturation and to expose for the highlights. Right or wrong that is what I did for 25 years or so.
    Hi Old Timer,,,,,that is correct...With tranny films I was also taught to expose for the highlights but underexpose by 1/3 stop...Nice images btw,,they exhibit that typical cool Ektachrome hue..I used to use a 81B filter (very pale brown) to warm it up a smidge...

BTW,,,can you still buy Kodachrome???

Geeze,,who is showing their age now???

Jurgen
    Australia
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

While we are on Ektachrome here is a pic of Aussie rock legend Jimmy Barnes taken in the early '80s..I was working as the PR photographer for a steel company and Mr Barnes came to the plant to shoot his "Working Class Man" music vid...These are the only stills in existance..

I pushed Ektachrome 400 two stops to 1600iso (notice the lumpy grain)..The whole shot was lit by only one tungsten light and the ambient light from the BOS furnace behind him..Hence the red/yellow cast..
    Camera was a Nikon F2AS Photomic with Nikkor AIS 85mm f2.0..
    This image is as it came out of the scanner with little interference from Photoshop..I only increased the levels a tad..

Jurgen
    Australia
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blast from the Past..Ecktachromes-img195sm.jpg  
    Falang dung nyai

Actually it depended on the film. Kodachrome 64 often needed to be slightly overexposed and Ektachrome and Fuji slightly underexposed. Nevertheless in scanning slides, I would make sure that the slide is flat in the frame. Some photographers do their own mounting in special frames. With glass mounted you may have to take the slide out of the frame.
    I would then reduce the contrast on the scan to bring up detail and key in the best quality scan that the machine allows. You might also consider the effect of a polarizing filter plug-in for Photoshop to keep the sky the right blue colour that you want and reduce contrast a little more.

Ronnoco

I'm looking forward the experience ahead with the RX620. Thanks again Chunk..
    I'm looking forward to using mine too. Here are some 'Blasts' from my past that I scanned on it this morning. These were shot during the first year or so that I was shooting with my K1000. That little girl is a doctor now, interning at the Wisconsin Children's Hospital.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blast from the Past..Ecktachromes-01.jpg   Blast from the Past..Ecktachromes-02.jpg   Blast from the Past..Ecktachromes-03.jpg  
    ----------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    Actually it depended on the film. Kodachrome 64 often needed to be slightly overexposed and Ektachrome and Fuji slightly underexposed. Nevertheless in scanning slides, I would make sure that the slide is flat in the frame. Some photographers do their own mounting in special frames. With glass mounted you may have to take the slide out of the frame.

Ronnoco
    Ronnoco...I have hardly ever mounted my trannies,,cut into strips of 6 in folders.

Jurgen
    Australia
    Falang dung nyai

Quote Originally Posted by yogestee
    Ronnoco...I have hardly ever mounted my trannies,,cut into strips of 6 in folders.

Jurgen
    Australia
    Jurgen,

Glass mounting was required for submissions to photographic competitions run by photographic associations.

Ronnoco

[QUOTE=Ronnoco]Jurgen,

Glass mounting was required for submissions to photographic competitions run by photographic associations.

Ronnoco,,,,,,never got into that!! All publications I dealt with required trannies unmounted including 35mm & 120 formats..

Jurgen
    Australia
    Falang dung nyai

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    I'm looking forward to using mine too. Here are some 'Blasts' from my past that I scanned on it this morning. These were shot during the first year or so that I was shooting with my K1000. That little girl is a doctor now, interning at the Wisconsin Children's Hospital.
    Looking good Chunk. I like your colors in the first shot. I think that the RX620 is going to turn out to be avery good cost effective purchase. I have really wanted a way to scan older nega ns slides for the last couple of years, just haven't been willing to bit the price bullet.

Nikon Samurai #13

While we are on Ektachrome here is a pic of Aussie rock legend Jimmy Barnes taken in the early '80s..I was working as the PR photographer for a steel company and Mr Barnes came to the plant to shoot his "Working Class Man" music vid...These are the only stills in existance..

I pushed Ektachrome 400 two stops to 1600iso (notice the lumpy grain)..The whole shot was lit by only one tungsten light and the ambient light from the BOS furnace behind him..Hence the red/yellow cast..
    Camera was a Nikon F2AS Photomic with Nikkor AIS 85mm f2.0..
    This image is as it came out of the scanner with little interference from Photoshop..I only increased the levels a tad..

Jurgen
    Australia
    We were pretty limited to our choices of film and ASA/ISO for several year when I first started photography. We just learned to do what we had to to get exceptable images. Pushing film and excepting the grain was certainly one of them. Even with the limitations some pretty decent images emerged.

Nikon Samurai #13

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    I would then reduce the contrast on the scan to bring up detail and key in the best quality scan that the machine allows. You might also consider the effect of a polarizing filter plug-in for Photoshop to keep the sky the right blue colour that you want and reduce contrast a little more.

Ronnoco

Thanks for the tips. I am very new to scanning and need all the help I lcan get.

Nikon Samurai #13

Thanks SR! These are from one of my favorite places, Cumberland Falls State Park. I hope I can find some of the better ones to post from here, it is beautiful and best known for it's moon bow which I had a very rare opportunity to see several years ago.

I thought that was where they were taken, but I wanted to make sure. Used to go down there a lot when I still lived in Somerset. Have seen the moonbow, also. That is one of the things on my list to go photograph now. Hope to see some more of those old slides up here soon.
    "No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit." --Ansel Adams

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." --Ansel Adams

Hi Old Timer,,,,,that is correct...With tranny films I was also taught to expose for the highlights but underexpose by 1/3 stop...Nice images btw,,they exhibit that typical cool Ektachrome hue..I used to use a 81B filter (very pale brown) to warm it up a smidge...

BTW,,,can you still buy Kodachrome???

Geeze,,who is showing their age now???

Jurgen
    Australia
    I have used an 81B filter as well, but kind of got use to the Ektachrome look and seemed to perfere it over the warmer look of Kadachrome. I haven't seen Kodachrome around for a while here, but since I swithched to digital I really haven't been looking for it.

Nikon Samurai #13

Thread Information