ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Head of the Rock Regatta

Every year we have the Head of the Rock Regatta, which brings in teams from all over the country but mostly from the Midwest. This year even a team from Kenai, Alaska was here. It's a great event to shoot at and the fact that I live three minutes from here doesn't help either. Since I was out of town last year for it, I tried to talk Sebastian out of having the Chicago Gatering this weekend - plus we wouldn't get those nice grey skies if we did it today!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Head of the Rock Regatta-dscf0875.jpg   Head of the Rock Regatta-dscf1018.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Head of the Rock Regatta

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Every year we have the Head of the Rock Regatta, which brings in teams from all over the country but mostly from the Midwest. This year even a team from Kenai, Alaska was here. It's a great event to shoot at and the fact that I live three minutes from here doesn't help either. Since I was out of town last year for it, I tried to talk Sebastian out of having the Chicago Gatering this weekend - plus we wouldn't get those nice grey skies if we did it today!
    AV.. These are so clear and the color is outstanding. I especially love the last one, but what's with the girl at the end? Is that normal? If it is, please tell me what her job is.
    thanks,
    Kit

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Great Stuff!

Great Stuff Steve!
    I like the last two images the best.
    Thanks for sharring them here!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Thanks to both of you. The first one is my favorite but I'm not really sure about it, probably should have posted it in Critique. I couldn't lay down on the sidewalk to compose or I'd get trampled! so I guessed and took about a dozen shots. This one was with a 20mm lens (30mm effective on Fuji S2).

The other two were shot from a pretty low bridge halfway thru the course, and the house in the background is very well known locally.

Shesells, the person in the front is called the coxwain. They help steer the boat with a little rudder, navigate and motivate (stroke! stroke! stroke!). Some boats had this person in the back too - I'm not an expert on how or why though. At least a hundred boats where there, anywhere from singles that are about 20' long to the 8-person which are 60' or so.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

The first one is my favorite but I'm not really sure about it, probably should have posted it in Critique.
    Yes you should have!
    ;)
    Nothing stopping you from doing it now, though...
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Shesells, the person in the front is called the coxwain. They help steer the boat with a little rudder, navigate and motivate (stroke! stroke! stroke!). Some boats had this person in the back too - I'm not an expert on how or why though. At least a hundred boats where there, anywhere from singles that are about 20' long to the 8-person which are 60' or so.
    AV..Thanks for explaining that..dang it looks uncomfortable. I do like the first one the more I look at it.

Thread Information