ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Been to Iraq and back...

It's been probably close to three years since I last posted a thread in this forum. Much has happened. The biggest being that I became a Navy photographer, was stationed in a combat engineering battalion (SEABEES!) and did a tour in Iraq. I came back with about 4,000 digital images for the DoD; and about 1,000 b&w as well as 300 chromes for me. It was an interesting ride to say the least. If you'd like to see some of my imagery, shoot me a PM here. I'll send you the link and password to my photobucket account.
    I'm definitely game for chatting up the subject of Iraq and my experiences there as a photographer in a combat unit.
    Here's a smattering of vrious & sundry photos I use as a quick online 'folio:
    http://www.americanphotojournalist.c...?user=NMCB4PH2
    There's a few Iraq shots in there, as well as some other things I've done in my spare time. Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by Phil_USN; 03-16-2006 at 09:55 PM.

Re: Been to Iraq and back...

Welcome back - to the site and home. I looked at your portfolio and there's some good stuff. I didn't realize that the SEABEES actually patrolled. I thought that they mostly did construction. So the patrol photo was instructive.

Please post some photos in the gallery here. Your photos would enrichen the site.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Hoo Ahh Salior!
    Glad to see you made it back.
    SSG MTBBRIAN
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

HOORAH Staff Sergeant!

Thanks.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

I like your stuff quite a bit! My favorite is of the young kid kissing the doll.

I would love to hear about your experience in Iraq. Maybe start a thread in the Off Topic Forum? We tend to keep the OT stuff over there, but it is also welcome here.

And welcome home!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Jack of All Trades - Master of None

Welcome Back Phil! I am still in Iraq........been here almost 3 years as a contractor. I really enjoyed your photos, I hope to get my 20D in a day or 2 and start posting some pics of my own.

Welcome back!

Glad to see you enjoyed your time and some great shots! Would love to see more!

Jared

Pentax Forum Moderator

Welcome back, Phil. Great shots and like the others, I'd love to see some posted in here. I read with great interest your comments about being a combat photographer in the other thread and, as a Viet Nam (USN) vet, know well of which you speak. This quote "Combat is the worst thing you can survive unscathed. One's body may be whole but there's a piece missing after you've seen it" from your post, is so true. I didn't see much, but the little I did see still haunts me to this day. Anyway, great photos, great advice, and I look forward to seeing much more from you.
    Ken (formerly RMSN, USN, 1971-75)
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Welcome back! My brother in-law to be was just sent over seas this month. He's a Seabee also. I would love to hear more about your experience to get a better idea of what he will be getting into while over there.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

From an Army vet, welcome home soldier. My Dad served in the Navy during the Korean War. Have not had a chance to look through your site, but from the reactions of others here, it must be pretty good. A very good friend of my other half recently died and was able to meet a grandson of hers that is a Scout in the Armey. He has already done 18 months there and will be soon going back.

And for Roy, keep yourself safe over there.
    "No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit." --Ansel Adams

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." --Ansel Adams

Welcome home and welcome back to PR. From the little taste of your images that we have so far it lloks like you can be a very valuable contributor to this site. I look forward to see more of your photos. Oh and of course, "Well done sailor."
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Welcome back! I loved the photos, yes, please share more.

Alex -- Military Enthusist!
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Liz

Welcome Back Sailor! It's great to have you back on US soil - and on PR once again. Your photos are very moving, and I hope you will post some here.

Thank you for all of your service. I'm glad you're safely back home. I'm sure you have a lot more to share with us - and I look forward to your posts.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_USN
    It's been probably close to three years since I last posted a thread in this forum. Much has happened. The biggest being that I became a Navy photographer, was stationed in a combat engineering battalion (SEABEES!) and did a tour in Iraq. I came back with about 4,000 digital images for the DoD; and about 1,000 b&w as well as 300 chromes for me. It was an interesting ride to say the least. If you'd like to see some of my imagery, shoot me a PM here. I'll send you the link and password to my photobucket account.
    I'm definitely game for chatting up the subject of Iraq and my experiences there as a photographer in a combat unit.
    Here's a smattering of vrious & sundry photos I use as a quick online 'folio:
    http://www.americanphotojournalist.c...?user=NMCB4PH2
    There's a few Iraq shots in there, as well as some other things I've done in my spare time. Let me know what you think.

Welcome home! Nice work, I'll look forward to seeing more.

hey phil,
    I am the kid interested in being a photog for the military. can you give me more advice as to what to do, and how to get in. that would be great.
    thanks
    conor
    Canon EOS 20D
    Canon EF S 17-85 f4-5.6 IS USM
    Canon EF 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM
    Canon EF 50mm f1.8
    Canon Battery grip for 20D

Conor,
    I looked at your profile & I just happen to want to get hired by Stars & stripes as a photog. Man, I hope they call me back. I applied for a position open with their Tokyo bureau for S&SPac.

Everyone else,
    Thanks for the welcomes but I don't need the well wishes. Send them over to our military in the sand right now. I think they cancelled the Any Sailor/Any Soldier mail program after Sept. 11th '01 due to security reasons, but if you know someone who knows someone out there. send them a card, or cookies packed in popcorn, or newspapers from their hometown, or something that smells nice. Anything really. The thoughts that actually reach them are the ones that count. I received a handmade American flag constructed of heavy paper with the colors applied by the handprints of a few hundred kids in a school where a friend of mine is a teacher. For all I know, it's still in my office in Fallujah, but it was great to see that. I actually was discharged (honorably) last august partially because I didn't feel like going back 4 months later. I had been in the Navy for about 8 years & it was just time to get on with life too. Finish school, get a job in photojournalism. Buy a house. Things that I consider normal people do. Perhaps I should start an off topic thread as walterick mentioned...
    OK, back to the photography related stuff. First off, can I just link photos using HTML here? If anyone wants to know the gear I used here's the short list:
    Nikon D2h
    Nikkor 24-120 3.5-4.5 VR AF lens.
    2x spare batteries
    2x 512Mb CF cards

MY PHOTO GEAR (I took all the B&W photos with this stuff)
    Leica M2 with an Abrahamsson rapidwinder
    Leica M4
    Kobalux 28mm f/3.5
    Leica DR Summicron 50mm f/2
    Leica Elmar 90mm f/4
    LOTS of film

I exposed a total of 61 rolls of B&W film and about 35 rolls of slide. No C41, it doesn't handle 149 degrees very well, but the chrome stood up.

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi Phil...Yes, you can link to your pictures. When you "Post New Thread" there are little icons that will bring up a window to allow you to post a link or a link to a picture in your post. These icons are also in the "Post Reply", "Quote" and the "Quick Reply". So, if you have a dedicated server where your photos are permanently posted, you can either provide the link to the whole page or just the picture. Make sure that you have the correct link for the picture only as it is different from the link to the page as you probably already know.
    Hope this helps.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Thread Information