ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Becareful of new email going around just got it

I just received two emails one for me and one for the wife's email addresses and it contains the win32.SoberY.worm in it. It is an email perported to have come from the fbi..gov address. Be extremely vigilant in keeping your virus software uptodate and running constantly. I am going to report this one to my website hosting company as I think it should have been stoped by their servers before getting out again. If someone knows where to address this, maybe it can be tracked backwards to the sender and they can get him.

Re: Becareful of new email going around just got it

Yeah, I got 5 last week with fbi.gov address and 3 from cia.gov. I got about 12 others through various other emails, all through my earthlink account! None through my business account (knock on wood). I do not open anything without first scanning it, even if I know the sender.

JS

Everything I get is automatically scanned, all emails, web browsing, files downloading nothing gets through without Nod32 checking it first. I just wish I knew where they got my wifes email address it isn't something that is public knowledge if you know what I mean.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Pete NOD picks up VIRUSES on my machine every week lately. I have been virus free since I went with NOD well over a year ago.

Anything coming to me from the GOVERNMENT , had better be a reply from my senator , congressman or governor. I bother them weekly The rest are not welcome to contact me !
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_AUS
    Everything I get is automatically scanned, all emails, web browsing, files downloading nothing gets through without Nod32 checking it first. I just wish I knew where they got my wifes email address it isn't something that is public knowledge if you know what I mean.

It's easy to get email addresses. This worm is one of those pesky email worms and once someone opens it, it then goes after their email addresses and replicates it'self and sends it'self out to everyone in that address book. So someone your wife emailed was a victim. The ones that claim to be from the FBI and CIA also flood both those agencies with email from that persons email account. They are designed to basically flood those systems and slow or disable them. Oddly enough, if you open them you get an official looking letter with actual phone numbers and email addresses for persons at those offices. The FBI version actually goes to the agent in charge of tracking these kinds of things down and has his phone number on it. (Info from a Purdue University Proffessor who tracks these attacks and Ch 13 WTHR News). Just do not open the attached file!!!

JS

JS,

I fully understand that, and posted the info to help others. I am quite computer literate having been building them for the past 15 years or so and having self trained myself in OS's, programs etc over many many years. I grew up with Tandy System 80's and also every version of Windows around, as well as most of Microsofts Software. I am an authorised Microsoft partner, as well as a Epson Channel Partner as well.

what a drag!

for folks who don't keep up with their virus software or just are not that computer literate (my parents) stuff like this is just a drag!

I just rescued my parents old (read 2 years old) computer from teh junk pile. All it needed was 2 years of Windows updates and security patches and a virus program (I counted over 200 infected files - worms, virus', and trojan horses).

The don't have a broadband connection so keeping up with the updates was really a pain. I really don't know how people who don't have broadband can keep up.
    Wes

Who are they, where are they, how can they possibly know all the rules?

We use McAfee and have Never had a virus get through. It is pretty cheap and it can update itself automatically. We have ours set for updates at like 2:00am. You can get it online.

I use Mac and have never had a virus.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_AUS
    JS,

I fully understand that, and posted the info to help others. I am quite computer literate having been building them for the past 15 years or so and having self trained myself in OS's, programs etc over many many years. I grew up with Tandy System 80's and also every version of Windows around, as well as most of Microsofts Software. I am an authorised Microsoft partner, as well as a Epson Channel Partner as well.
    Peter,
    I rsponded the way I did because of this statement in your post Quote:"I just wish I knew where they got my wifes email address it isn't something that is public knowledge if you know what I mean."
    So that is why I wrote what I did, which, to me said you didn't understand it...In other words you led me to beleive one thing so I responded in an appropriate way...only to be told in no uncertain terms that "your an expert", although your post certianly didn't show any expertise on the subject. If you really wanted to help someone an explanation similar to mine would have done that, not what you wrote. I cannot assume from what you wrote that you know what you do, anymore than you could assume that I have also been working on computers since before the TRS 80's, including repairing them, programming, even design of a couple of boards using them for control systems.

JS

Sorry about the missunderstanding JS wasn't inteded to be offensive to you, more clarification on my part.

I do know about the mailboxes and how the viruses do remail outs from contact lists in programs, I was more thinking out loud to myself as she doesn't use the email address but only with a couple of friends and they would have discussed this had it actually been from one of thier contact addressess in outlook etc. My wife actually doesn't use the internet at all, I take care of that and let her know when a friend sends something to her. Although I think maybe I might know who if someone did get hit it might have been upon reflection. We have a couple of friends who are currently living and working in Singapore, might have been them maybe.

[QUOTE=Peter_AUS]Sorry about the missunderstanding JS wasn't inteded to be offensive to you, more clarification on my part.

[QUOTE]

No biggy....I kind of jumped as I'm in a bit of pain (more than usual), had to have my shoulder put back in place this afternoon and then they injected it...darn thing hurts more now! Oh boy more steroids!

Hey, take care of that back! It's no fun being in pain.

JS

Thread Information