ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Pentax Forum Moderator

Back in Wisconsin

Hello all,
    Well it's official. Kim and I are now Cheeseheads again. Arrived a little after midnight Wednesday night. It was 2 very long days driving. Glad to be home. We already have a house rented and the U-haul is unloaded, but the van isn't. Oh well...got all weekend.

Anyway, I'm sneaking in on an unsecure network, so gonna keep this short and should be back on my own internet by next week. I will try to get on as much as I can.
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Re: Back in Wisconsin

Platteville! That 's barely in Wisconsin.LOL
    I would love to be that close to Galena and Dubuque for house photos and the Mississippi River though.
    Welcome back - where were you?

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

I grew up in WI! To cold, I'm totally southernized now lol Glad you had a safe trip!

ohhh come on - us cheeseheads aren't that bad .... its not the cold - its the snow (at least this year)

platteville .... nothing but farmers over that way .....
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

Hey it could be worse, he could had moved to Madison.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Welcome back Ken & Kim! You should have come back sooner so you could enjoy the snow with us. Oh, who am I kidding, I'm sure you will get to enjoy some snow before Spring finally sets in for good. This is Wisconsin after all.

Ken, (and anyone else in the area) I just got an email this week from the Continuing Education dept. at UW-P. They are offering a class on Outdoor Photography starting on April 19th. It runs for 3 days (19th, 26th & 3rd) from 8:30-11:30. I'm going to sign up for it today, but I know I can't make the last class because I'm signed up for another photo workshop in Madison that weekend.

The class is taught by Steve Gassman, a pro photographer from Platteville. I took a class with him at UW-P last fall and he was great. Here is the info that I received about the class.

Outdoor Photography - Beyond the Basics
    4/19/08 - 5/3/08

Sat, Apr 19, 26, May 3, 2008;**8:30 - 11:30 am.
    This class will look at composition, lighting and subject matter as it pertains to successful outdoor photography. We will also discuss various techniques and tricks to help you create beautiful images of nature. Students should know the basics of photography and have a basic understanding of how their camera system works.

If you think it's something you or Kim would be interested in, give Kerie Wedige a call at (608) 342-1314 or email her at wedigek@uwplatt.edu

Also, Steve has a gallery show in Monroe that opened last night (4/3) at the Monroe Art Center. Amy and I went down and saw it and talked to him a little bit. It's a very good show!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Oh, who am I kidding, I'm sure you will get to enjoy some snow before Spring finally sets in for good.
    We actually had a little snow last night on the other side of the "curtain". Already gone though... Ken, welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by RP Racing
    Hey it could be worse, he could had moved to Madison.
    Or Illinois. Geez, could you imagine?

Welcome back Ken, we've save a snowfall for you, should be coming any day now.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

The cold, the snow........it was 78 here yesterday lol Igrew up in Waukesha county but moved here from Eau Claire........yeah I know snow and cold lol however it is beyond beauiful there. I have been here 20 years now and love it! I miss the food though

Quote Originally Posted by Lori11
    ! I miss the food though
    Don't they have deep fried cheese curds and lefsa in Alabama?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

ahhh...deep fried cheese.....
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

I would kill for cheese curds LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Lori11
    I would kill for cheese curds LOL
    Some warm, squeaky curds!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Some warm, squeaky curds!
    See, in Illinois we get either warm or squeaky - not both. Adina was right - at least he didn't get stuck here! Y'all know I'm about 15 miles from the border checkpoint, right?

Oh yeah, and Wisconsin State Fair cream puffs are only half a year away. If I walk there and back, I can probably justify having one.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Y'all know I'm about 15 miles from the border checkpoint, right?

I'm 10 miles from it and we are trying HARD to keep IL people out.

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar

There is a downhill mountain bike race in Platteville the weekend after this if you are looking for something to do

I'll be in Wisco myself this weekend in Oshkosh. Brother-in-law turns 21. Should be a good time.
    Feel free to make my photos look better than I can

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Do they show the "Happy California Cow" ads on tv in Wisconsin?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Pentax Forum Moderator

Wow...thanx everyone for the welcome backs...I finally got my own internet up and running, so now I can stay in touch, that is in between unpacking boxes, and sheds, looking for work and enjoying the grandkids. We've actually had to tell them to stay home for a day or 2 so we could get unpacked. Broke their little hearts...but they understand...I hope. We now live one block from them so anytime we want (or they want) we can see each other.
    Well...let see if I can answer everyones questions and comments.
    I'll start by saying thanx for the info on the class Mike. I'm definitely going to check it out. With the move and lack of jobs, I may have to pass, but going to try.
    As for where we've been...we've been southwesternized for the past year in Odessa, TX. Thats in the middle of the Permian Basin, which has one of the largest oil basins in the world. For those who don't know, my wife and I moved from platteville last year to go take care of my mom. She's all better now and even though things were pretty good there, we just missed our grandkids too much. Even with a webcam everyday, it just wasn't the same.
    Well let see...Madison...hey...it's not that bad, its got some great advantages. We even considered moving there. But Adina...I agree...ILLINOIS....NO WAY!!! HEHE well maybe way if I found the right spot. But at least we have RP keeping us safe from the Illinoisians. Guess I'll have to do the same with trying to keep the Iowegians out...hahaha
    And as for only farmers in P'ville...well, now there is at least one radical non farmer here!!!!! I've already started raising cane. Maybe I'll run for office and outlaw farmers!!!! hahahahaha. Wait...I like to eat too much so maybe we'll keep them around...especially for the cheese curds...beer battered and deepfried...mmmmmmm
    Thanx Berrywise for the info. I'll check the local Bike shop for info. I'd love to get some photos and get PJ and many of our bike members to critique them.
    Lori....you know...they say you can never go home...but thats not true...I go home all the time...so anytime you want to come back, we'll make sure to give you a big welcome, w/lots of cheese curds...hehehe
    Frog...you know, I have seen that commercial, but with satellite and cable, sometimes the misleading commercials sneek in...we know all the truly happy cows are here in Wisconsin...those California cows probably just got into some funny looking "grass"...oh no...I didn't say that did I?????
    A/V, maybe both of us should walk there...then we could maybe justify having some cheesecurds AND creampuffs....hahaha
    BigCity...I'll have to get on my map software and find out where Menasha is...since I'm a frozen desert rat from Arizona, I'm still not sure of all the places here. Too many to memorize. In AZ, our towns are mostly 40-60 miles apart or more, so we don't have as many to remember. I couldn't believe it when I first moved here how close all these towns were...you blink and you're in a new town or township..hehe...
    Well all, I hope I answered all the questions...
    I hope to get a chance to get together with everyone...hopefully sooner than later. Maybe we can try again for a Wisconsin get together. We kind of fell apart on the last one we put together...but...I always say, if you fail once...try, try, try, try...as many times as it takes to make it work.
    Take care all and again...thanx for the welcome back.
    Ken

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Ken,

Here is a link to the class registration page if you're interested.

http://www.peopleware.net/index.cfm?...isp=081%2D4692

It's a little more expensive than the last one I took, but Steve is a great guy with lots of knowledge to share. I wish I didn't have to miss the last class...
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Pentax Forum Moderator

Ken,

Here is a link to the class registration page if you're interested.

http://www.peopleware.net/index.cfm?...isp=081%2D4692

It's a little more expensive than the last one I took, but Steve is a great guy with lots of knowledge to share. I wish I didn't have to miss the last class...
    Mike, I couldn't get your link to work but found this link...

http://www.peopleware.net/index.cfm?...tDisp=081-4692
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Hey Ken,

What's up with my links not working? That's twice in 1 week... Yup, that's the class.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Pentax Forum Moderator

It's a conspiracy Michael...the black helicopters are encircling you as we speak!!! hahahaha...
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Ah...Platteville, I spent a lifetime there in my 4.5yrs of college. Grew up in Milton, WI, parents are still there. At least there are some hills in SW Wisconsin, the Milton area is flat, and boring. Corn in every direction.

Tim,

When did you go to UW-P? I was there from 94-98.

I had a teacher in high school that commuted to Mineral Point from Milton everyday. I think his wife was a teacher in Milton. Johnson was the last name, don't remember his first name.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Tim,

When did you go to UW-P? I was there from 94-98.

I had a teacher in high school that commuted to Mineral Point from Milton everyday. I think his wife was a teacher in Milton. Johnson was the last name, don't remember his first name.
    The teacher you are talking about was our next door neighbor. They moved a few years ago. His wife taught me geometry in high school. I was at UW-P from 83-87.

Thread Information