ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Back from Houston and School

Made it back from Houston on Sunday. I was actually a couple of hours from there at Texas A&M for the Texas School of Professional Photography, a PPA school. What a great school, five intense days with one instructor on your choice of many topics. For me, it was "Secrets To Success When Turning Pro" which was a huge help to me with posing and the basics of studio lighting. We had the weekends before and after the class to explore Houston, so here's a couple of shots. Just quick ones - although the first two are RAW conversions. OK, OK, you guys win - I'm turning into a RAW convert myself!

The unexpected highlight of the trip: back in Houston on Friday afternoon, we had time to stop by the Houston Center for Photography. They closed early that day but people were still in there. Eventually they came to the door to explain that David Hume Kennerly's exhibit would open in an hour. He's one of my favorites and I had no idea he was in town (Pulitzer prize winner in Vietnam, President Ford's personal photographer, etc). Got to meet him and see his excellent work from his latest book. Couldn't believe it.

1) View from the 21st floor
    2) Artistic street signs and chrome plated light poles
    3) Great Zydeco band at a festival
    4) Galveston Island
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Back from Houston and School-houston1.jpg   Back from Houston and School-houston2.jpg   Back from Houston and School-houston3.jpg   Back from Houston and School-houston4.jpg  

Sounds like it was a great trip. Great photography, meet a great photographer, what else can you ask for.

Welcome back. Nice group of shots. Like the musician.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Galveston is real nice...

Hm, West Oaks... You were near my parent's stomping grounds - they are northwest. I'm quite familiar with that skyline - you did a nice job of it.

Megan

A loooong way from 1000! Cowgirl's Avatar
    What a neat trip! I was thinking about taking a class there myself! It would only be about a 3-4 hr trip for me. I didn't sign up though...too much other stuff going on.

I'm glad to know somebody that has experienced their course. I just might take a course in the future!

Great shots!

Kathy

A place I know very well....

I was born and raised in Houston and lived there for 32 years before moving to Colorado in 2001. They put up all those flashy street signs and such not long ago in the Galleria area, a few years or more. My family still lives down there and my wife and I were down there in February. Houston's a nice town, much better than people give it credit for, but I just had to have natural scenery and a climate that actually has four seasons.
    I'm glad you had a great time down there and it sounds like a great school there at A&M (got two nephews attending school there).
    Great pics too!!
    Brian

Thread Information