ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Back to basics...

So, I'm new on here, so I thought I'd start a thread and see if people still had how they first started. I love taking photos, but it was usually of friends at various gatherings and such, with the occasional nature shot. My grandparents had gotten me as a present in 2000 a camera of my own as a graduation present - my Minolta 7xi ... 35mm and I loved it, yet knew nothing about it.

So here are some photos that got me started in my love of photography. How did all of you get started? Do you still have original photos from that first time you realized you liked taking photos?

These were taken in southern California, where I grew up, off of Manhattan Beach pier.

From Minolta 35mm 7xi

From Minolta 35mm 7xi

This picture was taken over my old house in Rancho Dominguez...the ever famous sunset sky blue pink.

From Minolta 35mm 7xi

Star jasmine over in the neighbor's yard.

From Minolta 35mm 7xi

US Flag my grandparents fly daily through the bay laurel tree.

From Minolta 35mm 7xi

Last edited by chrismatthews; 10-29-2008 at 09:51 PM. Reason: pictures didn't load
    "I know the price of success: dedication, hard work, and an unremitting devotion to the things you want to see happen." ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Back to basics...

I started back in the 50s when I won a kodak camera. The kind that you stuck flash bulbs in. Mostly recorded where we live and events with friends and yes I still have some of those old black and whites.
    I like your last two the best of what you posted and hope to see more.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I got interested in photography in college around 1968. Took a class and was hooked. And yes I still have those first shots taken in that photograph class. Came across them the other day when going through a box of old photos that I hadn't seen in several years.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

That is really cool! I actually have my great-grandfather's camera - I actually need to find out what it is... I'll have to scan in the photos too that my husband and I took when we were visiting Idaho last August. We used Black and white film in it. It doesn't have a flash bulb - it takes a battery I'm pretty sure for the flash, but it's manual wind up and such. I've actually got to do research on it, as it's a really neat little camera - simple, and definitely has sentimental value!

The last 2 are definitely my favorites too! Thank you for taking the time to post.
    "I know the price of success: dedication, hard work, and an unremitting devotion to the things you want to see happen." ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    I got interested in photography in college around 1968. Took a class and was hooked. And yes I still have those first shots taken in that photograph class. Came across them the other day when going through a box of old photos that I hadn't seen in several years.
    I wish my college had given some sort of course that I could have fit in with my schedule! I found some more old photos going through a box as I was moving into my new house...I'd forgotten about some of them! If you have any scanned in, please feel free to post them!

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

I took some photo classes after school, middle school maybe? I took photos of everything! I really got interested in it when I had my son in 1982, my brother use to tease me ansd tell me he was going to see in strobe (due to all the flash lol) if I didnt stop :lol: he is gron an his eyes are just fine by the way, what a fun thread. I love your last 2 shots!
    Here is a before and after of said strobe child LOL
    I hope others scan their early photos!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Back to basics...-baby-tony.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Lori11
    I took some photo classes after school, middle school maybe? I took photos of everything! I really got interested in it when I had my son in 1982, my brother use to tease me ansd tell me he was going to see in strobe (due to all the flash lol) if I didnt stop :lol: he is gron an his eyes are just fine by the way, what a fun thread. I love your last 2 shots!
    Here is a before and after of said strobe child LOL
    I hope others scan their early photos!
    I'm really glad you like the thread!! I thought it a good way to learn about folks and see how they started out and how they've progressed since then! Indeed, he looks like he survived the flash bulbs!

I was going through photos and I found some where my grandfather is in almost all of them, and there's a camera around his neck or in his hand! I guess that's where I get it from!

Thread Information