ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Anything weird.......

about this picture? Do you see something strange? Not sure if it is me, my monitor or the image. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
    Wes
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Wes

Who are they, where are they, how can they possibly know all the rules?

Re: Anything weird.......

Other than it being a gorgeous shot...I see nothing wrong.

Z
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Very weird.

1) If this is a picture of a sunrise/set, it is not possible. The foreground cannot be so properly exposed and evenly lit with the sun on the horizon. Also, the sky is the wrong color for sunset/rise.
    2) It might be a conveniently-placed light leak in an otherwise normally-exposed frame, except there is golden sunlight on the grass indicating a sunrise/set, and...
    3) There is no shadow of the golf flag on the grass around it.

Therefore, this is either a composite of a couple of images, a heavily photoshopped image, or a double exposure done in camera to me.

Interesting enigma!
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by zrfraser
    Other than it being a gorgeous shot...I see nothing wrong.

Z
    Z - thanks very much!
    Wes

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Looks to me...

...like a nuke going off in the distance. Not that I've ever actually seen one, but ya know...

Whatever it is, I think it takes away from the shot. I agree with Rick. It almost looks like some sort of light leak or weird lens flare...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Very weird.

1) If this is a picture of a sunrise/set, it is not possible. The foreground cannot be so properly exposed and evenly lit with the sun on the horizon. Also, the sky is the wrong color for sunset/rise.

Well it is a sunrise just as it was coming over the horizon (oh yeah, I overexposed and then bracketed and then some did some) You are close to my problem I am having with the sky - lucky me getting up at 5:00 on a cloudless morning - not too good for sunrises

2) It might be a conveniently-placed light leak in an otherwise normally-exposed frame, except there is golden sunlight on the grass indicating a sunrise/set, and...
    I don't know what a light leak is!

3) There is no shadow of the golf flag on the grass around it.
    The sun was not strong enough at that point yet I guess to yield a shadow on such a thin object.

Therefore, this is either a composite of a couple of images, a heavily photoshopped image, or a double exposure done in camera to me.
    It is not a composite but the sky has been photoshopped - and that is what I am having trouble with - Do you see any Banding? The sky was originally very bright - almost white - any ideas on how to improve it?

Thanks!
    Wes

Re: Looks to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    ...like a nuke going off in the distance. Not that I've ever actually seen one, but ya know...

Whatever it is, I think it takes away from the shot. I agree with Rick. It almost looks like some sort of light leak or weird lens flare...
    Luckily for me and the rest of the folks in the Washington D.C. area it was not a nuke! It is the sun just coming over the horizon - no clouds.

Now I have been enjoying your newest Florida exhibit and it has inspired me to look at skies differently and also to stop thinking of the image as I see it through the lense, but what it can become.

The original sky was almost white. Without some color or other drama - the shot is nothing. Any ideas? WWSD (what would Steve Do?

BTW, what is this light leak you and Rick keep talking about?
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by shutterman
    about this picture? Do you see something strange? Not sure if it is me, my monitor or the image. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
    Wes
    The banding is a JPEG artifact from the compression. You should be shooting in RAW or Tiff mode for sun rises and sets.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by freygr
    The banding is a JPEG artifact from the compression. You should be shooting in RAW or Tiff mode for sun rises and sets.
    Important stuff I usually shoot in Raw and Jpeg - as I did for this shot. I just got a new monitor (LCD) and my video card needs upgrading to reach its full potential so I was not sure if the banding was a VIDEO artifact or in fact a Jpeg artifact and was curious if others see the same thing.

I will go back and look at the raw file and see what happens........
    Wes

The banding could be from what appears to be oversaturation. Typically happens when the hue/saturation tool is used. When saturation is adjusted using the LAB mode it tends to keep that sort of effect at bay.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

"WWSD (what would Steve Do?)..."

Hey, I like the sound of that. But, you should use me as a reverse barometer. Figure out what I'd do, then do the opposite... :idea:

"BTW, what is this light leak you and Rick keep talking about?..."

Well, he started it. Poor choice of words (unless you shot with a Holga, that is). Lens flare is what I meant...

BTW, you can lessen that banding a great deal by adding some noise to one or more of your color channels. That is, if you don't mind the grain...

I'm very pleased that my work has inspired you to try new things. Regarding my recent images, the key (in my mind) was to add skies that were very consistent with the rest of the scene, so they didn't look "stripped in"...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    The banding could be from what appears to be oversaturation. Typically happens when the hue/saturation tool is used. When saturation is adjusted using the LAB mode it tends to keep that sort of effect at bay.
    Well, since the original sky was very bright - almost white - you can imagine the amount of hue/saturation adjustment made. Will try out the LAB mode and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion Sebastian!

Wes
    Wes

"WWSD (what would Steve Do?)..."

Hey, I like the sound of that. But, you should use me as a reverse barometer. Figure out what I'd do, then do the opposite... :idea:
    I'm only asking for 50% of all profits from camera straps, wristbands and T-shirts printed with WWSD

"BTW, what is this light leak you and Rick keep talking about?..."

Well, he started it. Poor choice of words (unless you shot with a Holga, that is). Lens flare is what I meant...
    Oh, lense flare, well you should see the lense flare I cloned out - shooting directly at a sunrise can do that!

BTW, you can lessen that banding a great deal by adding some noise to one or more of your color channels. That is, if you don't mind the grain...
    After a bit of research that seems to be the way to go. along with trying the LAB mode

I'm very pleased that my work has inspired you to try new things. Regarding my recent images, the key (in my mind) was to add skies that were very consistent with the rest of the scene, so they didn't look "stripped in"...
    Are you saying my beautiful blue sky doesn't match my sunrise? I will try to use a sky from about 1 minute earlier that is much darker and natural.

I am heading down to Florida tomorrow and will be looking for some nice stormy skies - hopefully none that have sustainable winds over 10 mph.

thanks steve

Wes
    Wes

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

ok to me it seems weird because where the sun meets the sky is flat. and the trees have the color of the sunrise bordering them, but then the color just changes to blue. and the sun isn't blown out like it should be. it looks corrected, and a little grey. its looks as though you just applied a gradient fill from white to blue in the sky layer.

Thread Information