ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar

Anyone like old bikes? (lot's of pics)

I thought I might share my recent bicycle project that I have been working on this past winter. I know a lot of the photographers here are also bicycle enthusiasts so I thought it would be appropriate to post.

The project: Schwinn Deluxe Hornet

The Goal: Breath life back into an old cruiser so it can cruise around the lakes again.

The History: The bike was built in either September or October of 1949. I purchased the bike from my boss for 100 dollars and three antique handguns about a year ago. The original owner had brought the bike into Penn Cycle to have work done on them back in the mid 90's but while they were being fixed he passed away. The bikes were then left to his son who used them as part of a trade in on some new bikes which he purchased from my boss.

The Bike as I received it:

Breaking it down

For stripping the bike I decided to go the route of using a chemical stripper. I picked up a jug of the generic brand stripper at Menards and went to town on the bike. A few hours later I was starting to wonder if I had done something wrong.

I decided that maybe it was the stripper so I headed off to the hardware store to pick-up a jug of Zip Strip paint remover. I've used this on the last cruiser that I had refinished and had much better results. This time I invited a few friends over who also had frames they wanted to strip. A case of Premium Grain Belt, some heavy rubber gloves, a couple of paint brushes and the can of Zip Strip and the paint was just falling off the frames.

Getting thigns ready

Because the bike had already been repainted at some point in its life I decided I wasn't as concerned with trying to restore it to its original form. With that in mind I decided to have the bike powdercoated instead of liquid painted.

While the bike was off to the powder coaters I got to work gathering parts and getting the old parts back in shape. That meant a whole lot of 000 steel woold and chrome cleaner.

The old saddle was falling apart so thanks to a friend my bike has a nice new classic seat.

All painted up

I think it turned out looking really nice. It is a really deep, glossy, red with just the faintest glow of gold flake when in the sun.

First thing I decided to do after getting it painted was to face the bottom bracket and headset and chase the threads on the fork. The painter did a good job of covering up all the major holes on the bike but there was still a little bit of overspray. Not to mention the bike is 50+ years old so straightening things out again could never hurt.

Think it looks better now or then?

The last thing I put on was the headbadge. I decided to hand paint the headbadge myself and if you look closely at it (in person) you can tell I did but I actually think that kind of adds to the whole bike in the fact that it gives it even more of a personal touch.

Adding a few personal touches:

With the bike fully assembled I had a few small extras I wanted to add. The rear light actually is activated via a switch under the saddle.

Spring is here!\

Well the snow has finally melted here in Minnesota and I was able to get the bike out on the paths for a trip around the lake. Still haven't gotten the decals finished up yet but overall the bike is done. It rode like butter and got quite a few looks. I'm really looking forward to some sunny days to get a nice look at how the gold flake will shimmer in the light.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Re: Anyone like old bikes? (lot's of pics)

NICE ONE!!
    RIDE ON!!
    Thanks for sharring!
    Can I get a spin on that?
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    NICE ONE!!
    RIDE ON!!
    Thanks for sharring!
    Can I get a spin on that?
    Brian
    If you're ever in Minnesota look me up I've got a handful of cruisers to go out on

Nice job! Love the paint. Man what a good time. You know, I see the pics and I really miss it. (working in the shop that is). When I saw the tagline I thought, yeah I've got a 1989 Scott Pro (Tange Prestige frame [lime green] with original Deore XT [and a U-brake]). Can't compare to the mastery of form and shape of the old Schwinn cruisers. Can I ride it?

P.S. I think the final pic would look much better if you replaced the green oversized plastic downspout water funnel thingy with something smaller and more organic (like a flagstone for instance). I know this isn't the critique section, but I think the image stands on its own as art and the funnel detracts a bit.

Ghost

Two big thumbs up bro! Wow!

Great story and photos. The bike is darn awesome too

I love the chainring! Don't lose that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by greghalliday

P.S. I think the final pic would look much better if you replaced the green oversized plastic downspout water funnel thingy with something smaller and more organic (like a flagstone for instance). I know this isn't the critique section, but I think the image stands on its own as art and the funnel detracts a bit.
    For sure. I started this little project and posting updates on my local bike club website. They've been bugging me to post some recent pics since they know it was finished so I finally relented and took a quick photo of it in the backyard.

Once the grass is greener and the sky is blue I'll head out with it and find a nice place to get better photos of it.

My last project bike:

My next project is for my fiancee to ride. A 1950ish Monark Silver King ladies cruiser frame with aluminum tubing. Should look pretty sweet when it is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Ash
    Two big thumbs up bro! Wow!

Great story and photos. The bike is darn awesome too

I love the chainring! Don't lose that thing.
    The skip tooth stuff is getting harder to find and more and more expensive on Ebay to buy so I'm hoping my chain holds up for awhile. Everything on these bikes are pretty burly so by taking care of them means they'll last a lifetime.

I had fun taking photos of it throughout the winter, makes the project more fun if you can share it with others.

Ride On!

Quote Originally Posted by berrywise
    My last project bike:

My next project is for my fiancee to ride. A 1950ish Monark Silver King ladies cruiser frame with aluminum tubing. Should look pretty sweet when it is done.
    NICE!!!!!!!
    I'd love to ride one of those too!
    Do you have any sale?
    Brian
    RIDE ON!!
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

Re: Ride On!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    NICE!!!!!!!
    I'd love to ride one of those too!
    Do you have any sale?
    Brian
    RIDE ON!!
    I can't say I do. Sadly, you put more money into these kinda bikes than you could reasonably ask for one. Someday when I run out of space in the basement though I'll have to start selling bikes again ;o)

Re: Ride On!

Quote Originally Posted by berrywise
    I can't say I do. Sadly, you put more money into these kinda bikes than you could reasonably ask for one. Someday when I run out of space in the basement though I'll have to start selling bikes again ;o)
    When that day comes.
    Give me a hollar!
    Brian
    Ride On!
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

My mom rides a schwinn as well. Here's is brown (i think) and the headlight is powered by pedaling. We harass her every chance we get. I think she's getting her's cleaned up as well, and will be riding back and forth to work.

Nice photo essay as well as a beautiful old bike. Me and my buddies did a lot of cruising on bikes like this back on long summer days in the late 50's. The only things missing that we would have added would be some streamer on the handlebar grips, a mirror or two and maybe a baseball card or two cloths pinned to a support to flap on the spokes and make a real racket as we cruised thru town. Elvis and Buddy on the transitor radio and our ball gloves hanging off the handlebars, yeah those were the days.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Great shots and definitly awesome to see the process broken down!

A neat read, well done!

Beautiful bikes! I love that chainring! The photo of your last project is fantastic as well. I could see myself getting into a hobby like that. I ride one of the last mountain bikes made by Schwinn before they went bankrupt...or whatever drove them to Walmart. Such a shame. They made awesome bikes.

Thanks for sharing.

Paul

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

That is one awsome looking bike! My first bike was a hand me down Schwinn (from the 70s I think) and I rode it everywhere until I guess someone wanted it more than me and took it off my friends porch You should post that over on MTBR and let them all drool over it
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful...all of it.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thread Information