ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Another aircraft challenge. Do you know what

this one is?

I'm experimenting again with the Canon 75-300 USM IS. I posted a week or so ago that I had trouble getting it to focus on moving objects with the CPL on. Well, I had forgotten I put the CPL on on top of the UV filter. So I removed the UV filter, put the CPL back on and tried again. I got much better results. The majority of shots were in focus. One of the things I noticed was that the camera (a 1D) underexposes with this lens/CPL combo. But I also noticed that every shot I took in this series and a series of an airplane taking off just a few minutes earlier was that the lens was shooting wide open (f/5.6). I was shooting shutter priority mode at 1/125, to keep the props blurry. Just some interesting tidbits of info I'm discovering and trying to figure out how to use.

I also discovered a habit I didn't know I had. When shooting these types of shots, instead of keeping the camera level, I seem to keep the airplane level, which makes the horizon crooked. I'd never noticed it before. Now that I can shoot a lot it stands out, to me, like a sore thumb. I've rotated this shot about 2 degrees and cropped just a bit to fix the rotation.

Well here's the shot, an airplane just about to touch down. Anyone care to guess what it is?
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Question I've Seen One Of These Before...

Quote Originally Posted by I_Fly
    this one is?

I'm experimenting again with the Canon 75-300 USM IS. I posted a week or so ago that I had trouble getting it to focus on moving objects with the CPL on. Well, I had forgotten I put the CPL on on top of the UV filter. So I removed the UV filter, put the CPL back on and tried again. I got much better results. The majority of shots were in focus. One of the things I noticed was that the camera (a 1D) underexposes with this lens/CPL combo. But I also noticed that every shot I took in this series and a series of an airplane taking off just a few minutes earlier was that the lens was shooting wide open (f/5.6). I was shooting shutter priority mode at 1/125, to keep the props blurry. Just some interesting tidbits of info I'm discovering and trying to figure out how to use.

I also discovered a habit I didn't know I had. When shooting these types of shots, instead of keeping the camera level, I seem to keep the airplane level, which makes the horizon crooked. I'd never noticed it before. Now that I can shoot a lot it stands out, to me, like a sore thumb. I've rotated this shot about 2 degrees and cropped just a bit to fix the rotation.

Well here's the shot, an airplane just about to touch down. Anyone care to guess what it is?
    With that funky little winglet on the elevator. But I can't remember what it is. Reminds me of a DeHaviland.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Here's a couple of hints. Tube and fabric, tri-tailed (sort of, got those two little rudders on the outside edge of the horizontal stabilizer).
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Sorry no guess from me, but I'm surprised that the UV filter caused a problem. I wouldn't do it because at that point the only thing it's doing is possibly reducing sharpness and introducing flare (more glass surfaces) - but wouldn't have guessed that it would cause AF troubles. Best way to solve problems like this is trial and error - sometimes it's hard to tell where the real problem is.

The first time I shot at an airshow, I did the same thing. Most of my shots were off more than 2 degrees though - so I learned that lesson pretty quick!

I know what it is

It's a Bellanca Cruisemaster.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

A Winner!!

You are correct! It's based here at the airport where I work. Not many airplanes look like this. Thanks for playing!

Quote Originally Posted by EOSThree
    It's a Bellanca Cruisemaster.
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Thread Information