ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Amazing Urban Art

Hi all

Just over a week ago, half a dozen or so of the very best urban artists (grafitti artists, to some) in Europe descended on an unused underpass in London and decorated it on both sides. The underpass is about 50 yards long so that is a lot of art! I got myself down there this morning to photograph it before it is all removed. To some people it is art, to some it is vandalism. Make up your own mind.

Cheers
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Amazing Urban Art-leather-jacket-jpg.jpg   Amazing Urban Art-buddha-jpg.jpg   Amazing Urban Art-old-men-jpg.jpg   Amazing Urban Art-girl-brushes-jpg.jpg   Amazing Urban Art-do-not-disturb-jpg.jpg  

Last edited by Didache; 06-10-2008 at 08:56 AM.
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Re: Amazing Urban Art

And just a few more. As you can see, it was a terrific place to take pictures. I took 59 images in an hour and a half, with no duplicates.

Cheers
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Amazing Urban Art-attitude-jpg.jpg   Amazing Urban Art-girl-hearts-jpg.jpg   Amazing Urban Art-dissected-head-jpg.jpg   Amazing Urban Art-crown-jpg.jpg  
    Mike Dales ARPS

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I'd call it artistic. A few weeks ago there was an underpass in Seattle, near the zoo, that the city had hired an artist to paint and the wall was covered with large colorful paintings of mostly African animals.
    The city has a crew that goes out to paint over graffiti and instead of just painting over the tags that had been added to the original, they painted over the whole thing.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

I'm with Frog, scribbling one's name is graffiti, beautiful work and great shots!

frog & lori - I agree. At its best (and these guys ARE the best) it can be beautiful or provocative.

Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS

those are really amazing pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    I'd call it artistic. A few weeks ago there was an underpass in Seattle, near the zoo, that the city had hired an artist to paint and the wall was covered with large colorful paintings of mostly African animals.
    The city has a crew that goes out to paint over graffiti and instead of just painting over the tags that had been added to the original, they painted over the whole thing.
    a la Banksy?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6575345.stm

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Mike,

More terrific art, thank you so much for sharing these with us! I realize this is a different set than the ones you posted on the museum in Critique Forum but was this bleed over from that or a response to it? Really imaginative and creative paintings in any case.
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

CLKunst .. they are linked in an odd way. After I'd been to London and photographed the large ones on the museum, I went home and went on the internet to get more details on them. It was while I was following some links that I found out about the underpass one (they called it the Cans Festival - presumably a little word play on the Cannes Film Festival). I've spent the past couple of days doing a AV with all this material I've suddenly acquired!

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS

Now this is good stuff, Mike. Not just your typical tags that graffitti artists do to mark their territory, which is pure nonsense and ugly.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Mike,

These are beautiful works of art. I envy people who can create something this good. Been trying for years to do water colour and I can't even get the drawing this good never mind the painting.

Nicely captured Mike. Will you be putting the AV on the website?

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thanks Gary and Roger

Roger .. I will send you an email invitation to download the AV, which I think is pretty much in its final form. (same goes for anyone else who might be interested)

Cheers
    Mike
    Last edited by Didache; 06-13-2008 at 12:19 AM.
    Mike Dales ARPS

Thread Information