ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: For Almo ..

For Almo ..

Ok Almo i assure you the bug is not dead at least not yet anyway hehe.

This is something new that i am trying Almo , its reverse lens macro photography i used a 30year old 1:2.8 f =135 mm lens from a old film camera and adapted and reversed it onto my camera . This is what i came up with..

One thing for sure is that the field of focus is very small.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails For Almo ..-reverse-lens-1.jpg  
    Last edited by Knight; 08-21-2005 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Spelling

Re: For Almo ..

That is an awesome idea. I love that kinda' off the wall stuff. I once tried something simmilar with a 10x photo loop. I got some pretty freaky stuff that way, but I lost it all in a hard drive crash.

How big was that lil' bugger anyway, from your discription he musta' been very tiny.

A lil' soft, but no denying that awesome detail. Sweet!
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Oh man I love that. They always look so vicious when gaurding their eggs. Nice one Ken.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Pentax Forum Moderator

I usually don't take "bug" pics, but the wife found this one on the back of the mobile home today guarding her sac. So I thought...someone on PR would like a shot of this and lo and behold...a bug pic for Almo is on today...so here is my addition...hope you like...
    Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails For Almo ..-spider-cropped-197-pr.jpg  

Re: For Kinght & Ken

Well I thought I should add one of my own to the mix, so of course I have to bring us all back to...

SEX!!!

Last edited by almo; 08-21-2005 at 08:42 PM.
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

This bug was all of about half a inch well maybe a little smaller . Ken thats a awsome spider there , is the bright yellow color to warn people off , is it dangerous ? Almo bug sex lmao Actualy i saw quite a few bugs having sex on different sites this weekend tell you what after looking at some insect sites this weekend it realy changed the way i C bugs now lol it kinda put a face on many of them lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight
    This is something new that i am trying Almo , its reverse lens macro photography i used a 30year old 1:2.8 f =135 mm lens from a old film camera and adapted and reversed it onto my camera . This is what i came up with..

One thing for sure is that the field of focus is very small.
    The lens reversing technique is a very good one and one I used for years after first hearing about it at a Nikon School in the 70's. I bought a BR2 reversing ring from Nikon that worked with all my 52mm Nikkors. My favorite lens to use this way was a 43-86mm zoom it gave me a great deal of latitude and 100's of great macros over the years.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Old Timer do you have any other tricks i could try i love trying something new hehe.

One more.....

Paper Wasp, Polistes fuscatus, Callistemon Flower

Not sex, but you'll get over it...
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Very sharp Almo .

Well Done .

Quote Originally Posted by Knight
    Old Timer do you have any other tricks i could try i love trying something new hehe.
    There are gobs of little things that you learn over the years, but nothing earth shaking that comes to mind. If you are interested in macro and closeup the cheapest, other than the reversing trick, is to buy a set of closeup lens. If you use them with a good lens they can give you some very good results for a very small investment. (The lens reverse can give great results, but can be a real pain to focus if you are on a tripod, lots of moving. That's one reason I liked using it with the short zoom. It made focusing much easier. Instead of moving the tripod you just zommed the lens.)
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thanks for the info Old Timer

Well heres another one for you Almo .they are hard to catch . This is handheld from 40 feet in the air using the bucket of my Line truck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails For Almo ..-red-dragon-web.jpg  

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

A Nutha Fer Ya

Shot this is Texas at Anahuac (near Galveston) .... what is this MONSTER SPIDER?

I must have seen 50 of them there too!! Those freaky things had 4-6 foot wide webs ACROSS the trail at eye level!! I am not afraid of too many things having raised nearly every exotic known to man, but those things gave me a uneasy feeling!

BTW... FULL FRAME
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails For Almo ..-5434-almo.jpg  
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Re: A Nutha Fer Ya

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    Shot this is Texas at Anahuac (near Galveston) .... what is this MONSTER SPIDER?

I must have seen 50 of them there too!! Those freaky things had 4-6 foot wide webs ACROSS the trail at eye level!! I am not afraid of too many things having raised nearly every exotic known to man, but those things gave me a uneasy feeling!

BTW... FULL FRAME
    Hey I'm sorry Paul. I hadn't gotten any new notifies about this thread so i asumed there wasn't anything new here.

What you have there is a Golden silk spider, Nephila clavipes. Commonly confused with theGoldenOrb Web Spider, Nephila maculata.

They are very common througtout the south right into Texas, and I believe down into Mexcio. One of the widest reach species in N.A.

Thanks for posting!
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

I KNEW you weren't ignoring my nat geo quality work hahaha

But John , are they asggresive or any more toxic than your average garden spider? A few were a bit aggressive in stance when we got close, which was not cool . Those hangs looked 4 feet long , but I THINK they were only 1/2 an inch
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

I KNEW you weren't ignoring my nat geo quality work hahaha

But John , are they aggressive or any more toxic than your average garden spider? A few were a bit aggressive in stance when we got close, which was not cool . Those fangs looked 4 feet long , but I THINK they were only 1/2 an inch
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Locally I have only known them to be agressive when they are guarding a pouch. Bite is no worse than a bee sting, unless you are allergic.
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

It's for Almo, as requested, the full sized image that my avatar came from.

From left to right: Soligor 200mm f/3.5, Vivitar 85-205mm f/3.8, Minolta X-7A with Motor Drive 1 and Vivitar 283 flash, with a Minolta MD 50mm f/1.7, Makinon 28mm f/2.8, and Kiron 70-150mm f/4
    Last edited by Axle; 09-11-2005 at 01:55 PM.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Oh sweetness. I love it!

Vintage gear so rocks!
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    Oh sweetness. I love it!

Vintage gear so rocks!
    Thanks I like it to, the Camera is circa 1988, the lens from various years.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Thread Information