ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    trigger happy geriatric.

To all of you that I might be ticking off.....

I know I'm posting a lot of images in critique, and I'm probably boring the pants off you. I just want to learn by my mistakes and I figure I can rely on you to tell me what they are. I like to think I am slowly improving ( yeah, very slowly, I hear you say) but I am determined to put myself in the position where people see my pictures and are truly appreciative of my efforts.

Anyway, apologies to you all.

Dave

Re: To all of you that I might be ticking off.....

post away! keep in mind tho, that critiquing others is a great way to learn as well!

I sleep, but I don't rest.

trigger happy geriatric.

I feel reluctant to do that. I keep thinking "what the hell do I know?" And I keep visualising the photographer thinking "what the hell does he know?" And I keep visualising all you guys who know so much more than I do saying "What the hell does he know?"

See?

Dave

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I took the plunge to critique and I learn more about what I want from a photograph than any other way. I see what I like and don't like and usually my statements are appreciated if not ignored. It teaches me what to watch for in my own.,
    Besides the rules say you should critique 5 for everyone you post for critique. I don't think many worry about that, I don't.
    Did someone say they were ticked off? Hope not because I'm not.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Pentax Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Did someone say they were ticked off? Hope not because I'm not.
    I'm with Frog on this one!!! Unless you're posting "inappropriate" photos, I don't see any problem with posting away. We have lots of people who post tons of pictures every day. Some in Critique, some in Gallery, just about anywhere.

The nice thing about PR is we are a family of photographers who love not only to take photos, but also to look at them and help others improve themselves. In helping them, as mentioned above, we also help ourselves. So don't hesitate to jump in and critique things. Starting out, you might say something simple like, I really like the way the light is reflected off the surface of the water, or, the picture seems a little cluttered to me, or some such saying until you learn a little more of the more technical terms.

I learned almost everything I know from this site. I started with a p/s camera and knew almost nothing about the technical end. And, as we all are, am still learning everyday.

I'll have to jump over and really take a look at your photos. Admittedly, I have been remiss about hanging out there lately. Good luck and good shooting!!
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

trigger happy geriatric.

Thanks all. I will jump in on some critique, but only to say I like or don't like for reasons that seem simple to me. I can't quote on rule of thirds os whatever, but I can express how a picture makes me feel. Kind of.........................................

Thanks again.

Dave

Besides the rules say you should critique 5 for everyone you post for critique. I don't think many worry about that, I don't.
    I take that very seriously. If people want to post and get help, they need to contribute. It's a two way street. Plus, I believe you can actually learn more from critiquing than being critiqued. Taking the time to analyze and articulate what you like and don't like about a photo is very, very powerful. It teaches you about yourself - what works for you and what doesn't. You will unconsciously begin to incorporate those values into your own photography. No posting critiques not only shortchanges the forum - it shortchanges you! Step up and learn from yourself!
    Photo-John

You Know Plenty

Quote Originally Posted by Dave6223
    I feel reluctant to do that. I keep thinking "what the hell do I know?"
    Dave-
    You know plenty. You know what you like and what works for you. You may not have the art experience, education or vocabulary that some people have. But you know when a photograph speaks to you and when one leaves you cold. The trick is to figure out why. And in the figuring is some powerful education for you. The real value of being a critic is that you learn from the process. I would argue that offering feedback and advice is more useful to your own education than it is to the photographer you're helping. And I also think it's more valuable than any advice someone else gives you about your photos. Make the effort. You will be rewarded. It will make you a better photographer
    Photo-John

Starting to think outside of the box icicle's Avatar

Dave,
    We all see things differently in a photo.
    I also feel that I have upset some of the people on here because I tend to nick pick and to argue with them on some things. For that I can only blame myself for.

Re: You Know Plenty

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    The trick is to figure out why. And in the figuring is some powerful education for you. The real value of being a critic is that you learn from the process.
    //snip//
    Make the effort. You will be rewarded. It will make you a better photographer
    I think these words should be permanently engraved somewhere, they are absolutely true!

Participating in the critique forum has been the single biggest positive influence in my photography, period. (and I've had some pretty substantial opportunities along the way - so it says a lot)

I recently had a private conversation with another member here who felt they somehow had "less right" to voice an opinion because they weren't a highly accomplished photographer that knows all the terms and rules...

I'd say to you what I said to them, feedback from "regular folks" is every bit as important, and maybe even more so than feedback from "pros" because sometimes we get so caught up in the technical side of things that we lose sight of the simple principle of likability. That said, the biggest/best thing you will take away from participation in the critique forum, is that you will start to understand WHY you like or don't like, what you're looking at. That will be a huge direct benefit you will use every time you look through the viewfinder.

Post away, all you want, but DO comment on the things others post as well. They won't be ticked off!

Dave,

I seem to have the opposite dilemma (if you can even call it that). I have jumped in on the critiques, but have only found the gumption to post one photo for critique. :blush2:

Like you, I don't have technical knowledge to give but I do know what I like when I look at a photograph. That is what I comment on and leave it up to the photographer to take what they will from it. I'm learning as I go (yes, very slowly as well!! ) and have found everyone to be quite friendly and giving in their advice, comments and knowledge.

So, Dave - I'll make you a deal. You take the plunge and post more in the critiques and I'll post more photos for critiquing.
    DISCLAIMER: I am just a newbie. If I comment on your image I am only stating what I like and/or see. Otherwise, I have little technical knowledge to contribute.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave6223
    I feel reluctant to do that. I keep thinking "what the hell do I know?" And I keep visualising the photographer thinking "what the hell does he know?" And I keep visualising all you guys who know so much more than I do saying "What the hell does he know?"

See?

Dave
    The little you know, is more than likely to be more than someone else knows.
    Every little bit helps!
    And to reiterate what's been said, the more you comment on others work, the more likely others will comment on your photography...
    :thumbsup:
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

On the subject of commenting without experience/knowledge, consider that amateur/non-photographers greatly outnumber serious/pro-photographers out there. I would bet that an extremely high percentage of people who buy prints at galleries, gift shops, and specialty stores fall into the first group.

So comments by both groups are extremely useful. Not just for the commercial aspect, but as a gauge to what the general population finds pleasant/distasteful/humorous/etc.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I will add that I, too, have probably learned more by critiquing than being critiqued.
    I also said that I don't pay much attention to the 5 critiques for every one you post to be critiqued. Anyone that has been here a while knows I'm very willing to critique and do many more critiques than looking for them. I meant that I don't much pay attention to whether others do or not except in one case whose submissions I will never critique because that person never offers his own.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I will add that I, too, have probably learned more by critiquing than being critiqued.
    Same here...

Thread Information