ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Unfortunately

Unfortunately this happens all too often. I used to frequent DPreview(I left because there wasn't enough photography and too much equipment talk)and there were several instances where people had photographs stolen and blatantly posted on other sites as someone else's work. The biggest difference with you Alison is that you know your thief. I understand your wanting to disappear Alison, having something stolen is very personal and will leave you feeling a little violated. I had my car broken into a few years ago, and the whole thing seemed surreal, I felt worse about the act than I did about the stolen property.
    If you look at it from another angle, it's flattering, your work is good enough that someone stole it. Hopefully you'll get this resolved amicably, the person who gave permission to use your work probably thought they were doing you a favor. The strange thing is, the wedding photographer should have known better than to use one of your shots without your permission.
    Sounds like your portraiture group needs a session of ethics and ownership, rather than picking on you because you want to protect your property. That's very small of them to boot you out, you are right here, not them. A photograph is your property, and for someone to use it without your permission is just flat wrong, and against the law. Hopefully it won't come to involving the law, and certainly that's up to you if you want to take it that far.
    We love you here Alison, keep posting when you feel up to it.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Re: Alison deleted pictures

At least you and your friend have managed to stay friends, we live and learn. Great picture as well.
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: Lawyer

Ok - that sounds good. Thanks for giving us some more detail. Sounds like something to put in the "live and learn" file. It happens to all of us. We do something with the best of intentions and due to a misunderstanding or whatever, something hits us from behind when we're not expecting it. It looks like this has been resolved. If the photographer wants to teach someone a lesson, it's only because of their guilty conscience. Don't let this stop you from sharing your photos, though. This kind of thing is going to happen. Posting photos online is a calculated risk. And in my opinion, the benefit far outweighs the risk. As long as my photos have a logo on them and they're small, when they get "stolen," it's marketing. Your story is a little more extreme than the average borrowed image. But it's still no reason to hide your work. If no one sees it, what's the point?

So c'mon, now. Don't hide your sunshine
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I am actually a bit sensitive about posting this pic as I didn't make the necklace. I WILL NOT take credit for something I haven't done.

Like I said the photographer has removed my pic. All she had to do was ask me. I would have let her use it.
    Yes it is flattering, especially when I see my friend's, and the said photographer's work, as far better than my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Alison

This photographer has now removed my picture from her promo and her blog and replaced it with another pic someone has given her permission to use with a write up in large text including some capitals about how SWEET this person is for letting her use her photograph. She is the best friend in the world ever and she rocks!

I just think that little write-up was to hurt me even more than I am hurting now.

Wow Alison this makes my blood boil just reading this. I can't imagine how upset you must be. She was obviously trying to get under your skin. She is the mean spirited hurtful person NOT you. Hang in there

Dave

Hi Alison! Looks like we'll both be frequenting here more! Yup - we both got the same "kicked out of the group e-mail". Yup we're both negative and mean spirited!
    WOW - in 2007 people who offer a differing opinion from one moderator are getting kicked off of boards! I didn't think these things happened beyond Junior High!!!
    Anyhow - Ali - I know it's been a rough week - and somehow you'll pull through and feel comfortable to share with us again!
    Hang in there my friend!
    D.
    Diane Dupuis-Kallos
    www.ddkphotos.com

The photographer then used it on a business card. The photographer displayed it on her blog with no mention of my name.
    That's not a photographer. As for the portrait group, it's clearly their loss.

Even if you choose not to pursue this at the moment, try to get a copy of their card with your shot on it. A screen shot of the blog showing your shot would have helped too, but if it's gone it's gone. Print all the emails you've sent and received about it that state your case. Put them in an envelope and file it away where you don't have to look at it every day, but then if you need this info later you have it.

Re: deleted

similar thing happened to me
    My "friend" and I were fast & loose with our Prints & Negatives
    (all stored in the same locker).
    One day he walks in oh so very happy & shows me a local magazine.
    He had submitted one of my photos as his & they'd chosen it for the cover.
    No money involved...but still, my pride was wounded.
    That was the beginning of the end of our friendship

I could tell the photo was mine by the crappy soft focus

Thanks Diane.
    It's at times like this you realise who your true friends are.
    I told you how GREAT this forum was didn't I? :thumbsup:

LOL @ Hollis. Bless ya.
    It's very hurtful though isn't it?

It's so lovely here.
    However I am sat here in FLOODS of tears and have been since yesterday.
    They have now kicked me out of their portraiture group.
    They say I am negative and mean spirited
    I can't believe people can hate me so much.
    Just wait, You will be famous the you and stub them, and get the last laugh. From what I've seen you are anything but mean spirited.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Sorry to hear about this Allison! it bites. I have gone through theft of photos several times but was able to remedy it quickly in most cases. One however will come down to a court hearing in the next couple months as a week from yesterday I'll be doing paperwork to sue someone and shut down his website permanently. He has refused to listen and in fact completely ignores my requests and my attorney's requests to remove one of my photos, and in fact claims it as his own now, yet it's obvious that this particular photo is 100 times better than his P&S photos on the same page. i have another court case with this moron the 13th of March as he has refused to pay on a prior suit, so now I have to garnish his wages...some people are just plain JERKS! Thats OK though, he's the loser in the long run.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

Low act Alison...What makes me wonder is do these so called professionals realise they will get caught out eventually and blow their credibility out of the water??

On the subject of you leaving PR can be summed up with the words to a song,,,"Baby please don't go"

Jurgen
    Last edited by yogestee; 02-27-2007 at 03:21 PM.
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Those mods ought to go work in a bank.

OK I ought to explain - recent newspaper campaign was against bank charges that are far higher than legal.
    They published letters for you to use against your bank to claim back bank charges.
    Even how to use the Data Protection Act to stop them charging £10 for each copy bank statement.
    People were getting thousands back in charges.
    Now the banks' answer is to CLOSE the complainers' accounts and tell them to bank elsewhere.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Well there have been some developments today.
    I have received very nice apology emails from the moderators, inviting me back into the group.

Unfortunately they haven't been so kind to my dear friend Diane. She is still banned for rocking the boat there, voicing her opinion was all she did. Going against the grain and opinions of other members is something they don't seem to like there.

That's what I like so much about being here. We get negative CC so we try hard to get things right.

You all appreciate me far more than I realised.
    Wow what a community this is!!! I feel so lucky to be a part of it and I want to say a BIG THANK YOU to everyone here at PR for your support, your kind comments and beautiful pm's.
    I have also been receiving emails from Roger R, so although he hasn't posted here he has given me support via emails.

Thank you EVERYONE!

Make yourself a dang quesadilla! OBie's Avatar

Alison, I'm sorry you've had to go through all of this mess. How horrible. I am very glad that you've chosen to remain here at PR. Your photos are amazing!
    OBie. Not Obi-Wan, just OBie.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

I haven't had time to let you know how much I appreciate your work and am very glad you are sticking around. If anyone on this side of the pond gives you grief let me know and a few of my friendly associates with bent noses will have a little talk with them. Just kidding about the associates, I haven't seen a lot of them since high school. I will tell you that if anyone even thought of doing anything with one of my kids images, they would have some serious splainin to do.

Keep shooting and posting we need to see your stuff.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Thanks OBie and MJ

I guess everyone will be happy to know that I have started to fill my gallery again. It needed a spring clean anyway lol.

I LOVE YOU ALL @ PR

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi Alison, I'm a bit late getting on her about your dilemma. I am really sorry you have been treated so badly, but like the others here, you are well respected in this family and always will be. I too had something stolen. I am a musician as well as a photographer and many years ago, I allowed a friend to see some of the songs I had written. About a year later I found out he had published one as his own work. I had little recourse at the time because I had lent him my original. Young and stupid...I know!!! Anyway, I have since guarded my music very jealously.
    I do have one thought on this matter that you may want to consider. It is a lesson I learned here on PR. If you don't pursue the matter, then you lose all rights to the object in question. If nothing else, take the advise of a couple of the previous posters and have an official letter from a lawyer sent to the offender. This will protect any future problems you may have from this or any other person.
    One thing to also consider, and anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, but, a picture of a work of art has a couple of copyrights on it. One is the artist who crafted the piece, hence your friend, and of course, you. It is my understanding that you cannot sell the picture without the craftsmans permission and she can't sell the picture without your permission. Thats just a simplified description and like I said above, anyone, please feel free to elaborate or correct me.
    Alison, I have really appreciated all of your hard work and hope that you will continue to post here. If necessary, start using some sort of watermark that will discourage stealing and yet allow us to continue viewing your wonderful portraits.
    We're all behind you on this.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

WARNING Takes Random Pictures MonkeyWrench's Avatar

Alison, I hope that things work out and you stay. Like so many others I to look forward to your post and pictures.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information