ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Air Travel Update?

Who's been flying with their camera gear? What's the experience been like?

Tomorrow I'm flying to Utah. Usually I carry on my full camera backpack and a laptop shoulder bag. Will I be able to do that or do I need to consolidate?

I will make a full report on my experience. I'm very nervous. I've been thinking about buying a big Pelican case that will hold my whole backpack. That way I can lock it up with the TSA locks and just check the whole thing. It would be a lot easier on my shoulders in the airport, too.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Air Travel Update?

I have a trip planned in two weeks to Texas and I'm very anxious to know how you do. I always carry on all my equipment too. I just hate to have it out of my site and control.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Hey John,

If you want to borrow my Pelican case you can. It's big enough to store my LowePro Phototrekker AW (big bag). Also have foam to safeguard any movement.

I'm heading to Glacier in a couple of weeks so I am looking forward to getting your report. I'm planning on taking my gear onboard, but having my LF film shipped to the hotel.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

I flew recently from Milwaukee to San Francisco and didn't have any problems. I had my Domke bag loaded with camera, lenses, p&s and iPod and they didn't ask about it or want to see inside. My tripod was packed in the middle of my checked luggage which is how I've always done it; again no problems. Same story leaving SF; no questions asked although they paused the belt on the xray machine for about three seconds when my bag went thru.

Funny thing was, they ran cases of water, orange juice, etc thru the same security checkpoint, which was being delivered to the shops in the terminal. You couldn't bring your own water or OJ thru this point, but could buy it once thru the checkpoint. Whatever you bought you'd have to drink before you got on the plane (even though it's been passed by security). Once on the plane, they'd give you another water or OJ (probably could have used a Scotch by this point).

Anybody understand this logic? So am I to believe that the security checkpoint for the stuff going to the shops in the terminals is basically worthless? I have yet to see an explaination that made sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I flew recently from Milwaukee to San Francisco and didn't have any problems. I had my Domke bag loaded with camera, lenses, p&s and iPod and they didn't ask about it or want to see inside.
    Thanks, Steve. I was hoping you'd post since I knew you'd just been on the plane.

Did you have more than one carry-on? That's my big concern. I have a camera backpack and a laptop bag. I always carry them both on and would like to continue to do the same. I don't mind being searched at all. But I want to take all my stuff. I guess I'll have to take the little bottle of lens cleaning fluid out of my backpack, though. Small concession.
    Photo-John

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Anybody understand this logic?...
    Steve, sounds to me like security redundancy, or simply being extra cautious. Yeah, it may seem dumb, but at this point I would rather they err on the side of caution than be too lax...

BTW, close to booking my November Chicago trek, and plan to bring gear this time around, so yeah, I'm curious to everyone's traveling experience, too...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

I may avoid U.S. air travel totally. It can easily be done, depending on your markets.

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    I may avoid U.S. air travel totally. It can easily be done, depending on your markets.
    Yeah. Well, we can't all do that. I do drive as much as possible. But the drive to Utah costs me 12 hours of drive time, each way. And the gas and wear and tear on my car costs more than a plane ticket. But I prefer to drive, when I can.
    Photo-John

John, I only had that one carryon. I guess I didn't notice about other passengers but it didn't seem like anything had really changed other than not carrying anything liquid.

Steve, I do agree with being extra cautions but it stil seems like if someone only needs a bottle of something to do what they intend to do, then it will be given to them on the plane anyway. I guess there was some speculation about mixing a powder with water or gatorade but you can still bring that on with you (assuming it doesn't set off any alarms that were in place before this recent change).

Liz

John,

I know some people who have flown in recent weeks with their camera gear carry on. I'm not sure they had as much gear as you are taking, but they had no problems whatsoever.

Have a great trip.

Just have to ask - do you have any more impressions to post about the XTi before you leave?

At any rate, enjoy your trip. I hope you're going for a vacation or time off.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John

Tomorrow I'm flying to Utah. Usually I carry on my full camera backpack and a laptop shoulder bag. Will I be able to do that or do I need to consolidate?

I will make a full report on my experience. I'm very nervous. I've been thinking about buying a big Pelican case that will hold my whole backpack. That way I can lock it up with the TSA locks and just check the whole thing. It would be a lot easier on my shoulders in the airport, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John

hey captian John, you shouldn't be worry that much. cause last couple week I have been back to cali and no problem at all, I carry two camera with three lens, two flash in a backpack, and a laptop with no problema. at first I would thinks checking in would be hard but at soon I got there at the aiport I amaze how short the line is, there are no line at all and through the security check point no waiting long line either, any way have safe trip back.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by racingpinarello
    If you want to borrow my Pelican case you can. It's big enough to store my LowePro Phototrekker AW (big bag). Also have foam to safeguard any movement.
    Loren-
    Thanks for the offer. I will pass. I don't have insurance on my gear yet so I really don't want to check it. I am formulating my plan. Will post again in a bit when it's complete
    Photo-John

Does anyone know about international flights? I'm going to Paris in a month. If it's the same as intranational, it sounds like no big deal. Just can't take my lens cleaner.

Thanks,
    Paul

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    Does anyone know about international flights? I'm going to Paris in a month. If it's the same as intranational, it sounds like no big deal. Just can't take my lens cleaner
    Right, no lens cleaner.
    Depends on your carrier, Birtish Airways restrict you to one carryon 45x35x16 cm
    Nothing in your pockets too, so that has to include camera(s), lens(es), batteries, cellphone, and stuff, the usuall stuff that would be in your pockets ... unless you can put it in the hold.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Right, no lens cleaner.
    Depends on your carrier, Birtish Airways restrict you to one carryon 45x35x16 cm
    Nothing in your pockets too, so that has to include camera(s), lens(es), batteries, cellphone, and stuff, the usuall stuff that would be in your pockets ... unless you can put it in the hold.
    Hi Paul. I'm flying Delta from Austin to New York, then Air France to Paris. When you say nothing in your pockets unless you can put it in the hold, do you mean I can put normal stuff like my phone, wallet, and camera in my carry on bag? Should I just call the Delta terminal in Austin right before we leave?

Thanks!
    Paul

Thread Information