ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

How did I do? New Lens purchase....

Okay I have the lense that came with the Digital Rebel, the 18-55. Very short range, of course I want a zoom.

So I bought a Canon 75-300 AF III... thought it was great.

Then I decided I didn't want such a high low end, so I was looking at a 28-200 as my medium lens, and the guy at the camera store convinced me that a Tamron XR 28-300 was going to be my best bet, since I now am selling the 75-300.

He made Tamron sound pretty nice, and that I wouldn't be disappointed. Being a newb, I of course bought the lens (it DOES look and function really nice). I can already tell if focuses a ton faster than the Canon, and now I can just use 1 lense for 90% of my shooting.

Since I already paid for it, don't totally thrash me if I made a dumb decision. I am hoping that Tamron is a good lens and that for an amateur like me who wanted a 28-200/300 range, it will be okay.

I've heard good things about the Tamron 28-200 XR, and presumably the 28-300 is OK too. It's probably a good way to start out. I'd check to see how closely you can focus with it, and take a few flash shots to make sure that it doesn't block your flash. The 18-55 is probably a good lens as well.

--Jeff

sean,

What are the Aperture settings of the lens you are considering. Is it a 28-300 f/3.5-5.6 or are the f numbers different. That is a bigger point if you want faster glass, the smaller the f/number the faster the glass usually.

For general shooting...

the 28-300 XR should be an ok choice. That's the carry around lense on all the cameras in the photo shop at my air guard base. They use it so they don't have to change lenses while out and about documenting stuff, taking on location portraits, etc. They're pleased with the performance.

I've considered getting one for my wife to use while she's learning (since I'm hogging the 28-135). She's using a first generation Tamron 28-200, which compared to the XR series is horrible.

I'll be interested to hear how you like it in the long run!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Dempsey
    Okay I have the lense that came with the Digital Rebel, the 18-55. Very short range, of course I want a zoom.

So I bought a Canon 75-300 AF III... thought it was great.

Then I decided I didn't want such a high low end, so I was looking at a 28-200 as my medium lens, and the guy at the camera store convinced me that a Tamron XR 28-300 was going to be my best bet, since I now am selling the 75-300.

He made Tamron sound pretty nice, and that I wouldn't be disappointed. Being a newb, I of course bought the lens (it DOES look and function really nice). I can already tell if focuses a ton faster than the Canon, and now I can just use 1 lense for 90% of my shooting.

Since I already paid for it, don't totally thrash me if I made a dumb decision. I am hoping that Tamron is a good lens and that for an amateur like me who wanted a 28-200/300 range, it will be okay.
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

A loooong way from 1000! Cowgirl's Avatar
    Naawww. You didn't do bad!

When I first started out (2000) in photography, I bought Tamron's 28-200 Super II for my new Elan IIE. I was quite pleased with my purchase at the time. In fact, I'm still selling images (that I have sold several times already) that were taken with that lens.

As my photography improved, and I ventured into wedding photography, I wanted quieter and faster lenses. So I've been buying Canon's USM & IS lenses ever since.

I still have my Tamron Super II as a backup. I have been thinking about selling it though, since my lens collection has grown a bit.

For beginner's and advanced amatuers, that lens should work just fine.

The most important thing is that YOU SHOULD ENJOY the lens, use it often, and don't let it sit on a shelf collecting dust!

Kathy

The f on it is 3.5 to 6.3, which is the same as all the other lenses I am used to so it shouldn't be too bad. I was wary buying a aftermarket lense, but the Canon ones were just way to expensive for the same specs.

I am really gonna analyze the crap out of it for the next while. I took some shots and they looked sorta grainy, it was at full zoom.. but then I noticed my ISO got set to 800, so for that they probably looked like they were supposed to. I am doing a big shoot in Cedar Canyon this saturday so that will be the real test.

Thread Information