ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Action Photojournalism Shots from this morning... very exciting... - Photos Attached

Low and behold, a big fire broke out in downtown today, so I leapt into action. I had never done any news photography before, so I didn't really know what to do or expect.

Was a pretty big fire in this new building being constructed. I was the only person on the scene with a serious lens... bunch of freelancers were there, but most of them were too busy staring out of the corner of their eye at my big white lens than the actual fire ;) Funny how many people audibly comment on the white L lenses...

Anyways, I am submitting these to my local paper and seeing if they want to run any. Hopefully they do. I think I Am gonna grab a hat and jacket of the local police and fire department, and maybe put "PRESS" on the back and front of my vest... gotta get a police scanner too. Not much happens here in podunk Utah, but when it does, maybe I'll be the man on the scene...........

A good craftsman never blames his tools.

Good shots. I think the key is the speed in getting images to the News Desk. Keep us posted if the paper uses any of them.

well done

You had a good smattering of images...hope they can use some...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Liz

Smile Great job

Excellent photos. I hope you get them published. Whether or not you do, I would certainly submit a few to the fire department. They might want to do a poster for one. Your images capture the emotion, the danger, the commitment and courage that is such a part of their life, their vocation, their work.

Liz

Great Catches

[QUOTE=Sean Dempsey]Low and behold, a big fire broke out in downtown today, so I leapt into action. I had never done any news photography before, so I didn't really know what to do or expect.

Was a pretty big fire in this new building being constructed. I was the only person on the scene with a serious lens... bunch of freelancers were there, but most of them were too busy staring out of the corner of their eye at my big white lens than the actual fire ;) Funny how many people audibly comment on the white L lenses...

Anyways, I am submitting these to my local paper and seeing if they want to run any. Hopefully they do. I think I Am gonna grab a hat and jacket of the local police and fire department, and maybe put "PRESS" on the back and front of my vest... gotta get a police scanner too. Not much happens here in podunk Utah, but when it does, maybe I'll be the man on the scene...........

And it looks like you really "worked" the subject. I'd be surprised if the paper didn't run one or two of your shots.

"Funny how many people audibly comment on the white L lenses..."
    Hmmm, bragging on the size of your equipment? :-O
    Hey, I'm not casting stones...I want an F5 and an 80-200mm f2.8 myself. ;-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Sean,

Nice stuff. The images need to tell us what happened, you have some nice shots of the building and some nice shots of them spraying water, something that combined those two to show us the wider scene would have been better. The second shot has real small detail, unlikely to be used because they'd have to run the image rather large to be able to make out what's going on. Newsprint doesn't hold detail very well. First shot is a jumbled mess with smoke coming out, not sure if an editor would like that either. Like I said, the firefighter shots are great, they would just be much better at telling the story if they included the building.

Problem is, when you're in the situation there's so much going on, so many limits out of your control, that it's not easy to keep those things in mind. It does get easier with experience though.

Keep at it.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Where is that?

I was in St. George this weekend and that looks like building being built off of St. Geroge blvd, is it? If it is I must have just missed it.

Anyway nice shots.

Sebastian

Your right on, but this is a technique I like to call "all I had was the 100-400", so once I was on the scene.... haha, I Was like "damn, should have shoved the 17-40 in my pocket." There was alot I could have done with a wider lens, but the roads were blocked to cars, and to get any good "wide" shots, I'd have had to run back 2 or 3 blocks. Oh well, next time I'll know that I gotta carry more lenses. I just took the 100-400 because I leave it on the camera, I didn't bring my Pelican case or vest or monopod or anything, haha.

Irie Times

You have revealed the secret location of my city. Yes that's St. George. The fire happened today (monday) at like 11am. Sucks too, because this building just 2 weeks ago had the entire south side scaffold fall down and totally crash down onto Tabernacle street... I think the building is cursed. OSHA showed up for that and was pissed... I don't think the fire is gonna make them any happier.
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Dempsey
    Sebastian

Your right on, but this is a technique I like to call "all I had was the 100-400", so once I was on the scene.... haha, I Was like "damn, should have shoved the 17-40 in my pocket." There was alot I could have done with a wider lens, but the roads were blocked to cars, and to get any good "wide" shots, I'd have had to run back 2 or 3 blocks. Oh well, next time I'll know that I gotta carry more lenses. I just took the 100-400 because I leave it on the camera, I didn't bring my Pelican case or vest or monopod or anything, haha.
    That's what I'm saying, the circumstances being what they were, you did well. Forget the case and monopod, you need to be compact and able to move. You never know when cops or firefighters will make you move, or when you need to move for other reasons. My and my colleagues' standard setup is a wide zoom and a 70-200. I only have the 17-40 but would love the 16-35 for added shutter speeds. Many times the f/4 makes me bump the ISO, and I'd preffer not to. Or it makes some low-light shots impossible without a tripod, and that means no shot.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Frequent Lurker
    Sean,
    You might also consider looking at some of the professional firefighter publications. I don't know the name of the one I'm thinking of, but it should be easy enough to find out. They are always looking for great firefighter shots. Might be a good way to get published nationally/internationally.

Terry

Great shots, Sean. I think you caught the action well considering the lens you were using. Let's hope the newspaper picks up one or two for print!

Ray

Hey Sean,
    good work. . .I do like the second shot from the top and the second from the bottom. . . good luck in getting them sold. Let us know what happens.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Question Where??

Where in Utah are you at again?
    What town?
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Thread Information